Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
If Wisenhunt graduated from Arkansas, would he be anywhere near this job? Yeah, I thought not.

No he wouldn’t because he wouldn’t be able to work with donors and get major dollars flowing. But because he is a Tech grad that is highly thought of and a proven offensive coach at the highest level, the money will flow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
No he wouldn’t because he wouldn’t be able to work with donors and get major dollars flowing. But because he is a Tech grad that is highly thought of and a proven offensive coach at the highest level, the money will flow.

Until 8 wins in two years later.... we will soon be saying johnson was a better recruiter than whisenhunt

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Geoff Collins wows me plenty. Solid credentials as a P5 DC, solid credentials as a recruiter...bowl games in his first two years as HC at Temple (8-4 this year). Experience recruiting our area, including as a recruiter at Tech (had a big part in the 2007 recruiting class, best in at least 20 years here). I see a lot to like.
He’s never stayed anywhere long enough to prove he excels at anything and somehow keeps moving up the ranks. He’s done about the same at Temple as Addazio and Rhule who both got better jobs based solely off the argument that they can be slightly over .500 at Temple. Neither of which have been overly impressive after Temple either.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
There is a lot of big money behind Ken. He would not be a terrible hire like most say on here. What if hired Tmartin as his OC? Then what would you say.

I think Ken would make a great coach during the time we are trying to raise major dollars and improve our program. He is the only guy on the list that could get several of these guys to give more.

What do you think about this scenario ? He hires a coach in waiting for example a Tmartin and then retires in 5 years. I firmly believe he could find a way to win at the rate we currently are and beat UGA a couple of times. Then we have our young dynamic coach ready to go with great facilities and a real recruiting staff.

This sounds absolutely terrible.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot of big money behind Ken. He would not be a terrible hire like most say on here. What if hired Tmartin as his OC? Then what would you say.

I think Ken would make a great coach during the time we are trying to raise major dollars and improve our program. He is the only guy on the list that could get several of these guys to give more.

What do you think about this scenario ? He hires a coach in waiting for example a Tmartin and then retires in 5 years. I firmly believe he could find a way to win at the rate we currently are and beat UGA a couple of times. Then we have our young dynamic coach ready to go with great facilities and a real recruiting staff.

Are the big money guys also going to buy up all the empty seats?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

those are all what if scenarios beyond the one entity we know which is Ken. We can't say who he can bring along...Even he doesn't know today who would and wouldn't go with him if he were hired.

what i I like to do is just start with the candidate. If that candidate needs to be validated by stellar Asst C hires it makes me wonder why bother with that candidate?

If the candidate can float on his own for various proven reasons, then also bring in good coord....then we are better yet.

Ken may be the best of all time. May be a Bill Lewis level flop. None of us know. I am concerned with many facets of Ken I am not with some other candidates; therefore, I am meh with him. But its all opinion and thats what these discussions are for.

gtg391z

Jolly Good Fellow
Are the big money guys also going to buy up all the empty seats?
The crowd will be the same. If he wins he will be everyone's favorite coach and if he loses he will be fired. I love it how you all know Ken W. will be a complete failure and sure that Elliott will be a success. I remember the same arguments with CPJ was hired. Elliott has never ran any team...ever. That makes him a huge risk that if I'm Stan i don't take.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm not super-familiar with Tee Martin's work. Am I supposed to be excited with him as OC? Looking at his resume, it's not fantastic. He may be a good recruiter which would be nice, but his offenses at USC were only good with Sam Darnold at QB. When he left, they dropped to near 100th in offense and his HC took playcalling away from him midseason and then fired him

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The crowd will be the same. If he wins he will be everyone's favorite coach and if he loses he will be fired. I love it how you all know Ken W. will be a complete failure and sure that Elliott will be a success. I remember the same arguments with CPJ was hired. Elliott has never ran any team...ever. That makes him a huge risk that if I'm Stan i don't take.
I am still undecided on all this. People probably assume Whisenhunt would not succeed because he has a losing record as a head coach in the NFL, and is currently an OC (if he's a successful head coach why is he not a HC still?). He also has never ad to recruit a teenager in the 21st century.

Elliott has never run a program. Can he? I don't know. At this point, any coach we get is going to have some unknowns. I assume TStan has a list of questions in his interviews that will help answer these questions.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Its all a risk, I agree. But hiring someone with virtually zero college experience is also an enormous risk with less upside, IMO. There is very little that translates between the pros and college, anymore.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer

No there are no money guys behind Ken and that's great news

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
He’s never stayed anywhere long enough to prove he excels at anything and somehow keeps moving up the ranks. He’s done about the same at Temple as Addazio and Rhule who both got better jobs based solely off the argument that they can be slightly over .500 at Temple. Neither of which have been overly impressive after Temple either.
Considering circumstances, Addazio has done well at BC.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am still undecided on all this. People probably assume Whisenhunt would not succeed because he has a losing record as a head coach in the NFL, and is currently an OC (if he's a successful head coach why is he not a HC still?). He also has never ad to recruit a teenager in the 21st century.

Elliott has never run a program. Can he? I don't know. At this point, any coach we get is going to have some unknowns. I assume TStan has a list of questions in his interviews that will help answer these questions.

Whether Whisenhunt won at the NFL teams he's coached depends in very large part on how much talent he had, a variable he had no control over there. So unless someone can show that he had talented teams, overall, that underperformed, citing his record means little. It would mean little if he won, if he had the talent. It also means little if he lost if he didn't. I don't know whether he did or not, but just saying...

Not crazy about him but if he's hired I won't badmouth the guy. I'll get behind him. For now...

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not super-familiar with Tee Martin's work. Am I supposed to be excited with him as OC? Looking at his resume, it's not fantastic. He may be a good recruiter which would be nice, but his offenses at USC were only good with Sam Darnold at QB. When he left, they dropped to near 100th in offense and his HC took playcalling away from him midseason and then fired him
He is a GREAT recruiter and does his best work in ATL. OCwise, he hasn't accomplished much.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Whether Whisenhunt won at the NFL teams he's coached depends in very large part on how much talent he had, a variable he had no control over there. So unless someone can show that he had talented teams, overall, that underperformed, citing his record means little. It would mean little if he won, if he had the talent. It also means little if he lost if he didn't. I don't know whether he did or not, but just saying...
Right. So people have to make guesses based on the data they have. The fact that he isn't a head coach right now is more telling to me than the fact that he has a losing record. The Titans have really never been good, so it's hard to blame him completely. This is why I really don't have an opinion. There is too much unknowns.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
I think the various NFL to college experiments have proven that NFL coaches struggle in the college game because: A) they have to recruit their players, not draft them and B) your infinite wisdom of the game is a lot harder to translate to players who have to juggle academics, have NCAA limited hours on football, and who aren't being paid a salary to do this for a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.