Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
So my buddy just informed me he heard Mike Leach was interested....
giphy.gif

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Man, forgot about Dave Wandstat or however you spell his name...

Jim Mora... Bill Callahan... Dave Wandstat... Lovie Smith. Mike Riley....

Have any of these NFL to College experiments worked? Or is Georgia Tech going to try and become the first one?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Agreed everything I've been hearing is that there are no major donors supporting Whisenhunt. He likely got a friendly interview because they on fruends. Lets move on to more serious candidates

Maybe they just want to catch up and bill lunch as a business expense. Lol

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey all,

Would be curious your thoughts on Greg Schiano. Heard his name pop up on the radio today and I was intruiged. He checks off the following boxes:

- Proven HC with experience
- Solid recruiter who can develop
- can put together a good staff
- can do a lot with a little (at RU)

Forgivenfool

Georgia Tech Fan
Long time lurker, first time poster (and after this, you may decide it should be the last time). Quick disclosure, Georgia Southern grad from Erk/PJ days in the 80's, followed GT passively until PJ came, became a season ticket holder for many years contributing to the Tech fund and will be a Tech fan for life. My 10 year old daughter is the biggest Tech fan alive as we live here in the upstate of SC, practically in Clemson. Disappointed to see PJ retire but was exacerbated at times with his playcalling, or at least the execution of his playcalling, but when things were rolling, it was a beautiful thing to behold. I would be fine hiring Monken or Bohannon (or even Ivin Jasper) all off the PJ tree, but would be just as fine and maybe happier moving in a different direction as long as it is exciting to watch, and preferrably different than what everyone else is doing.

Here's a suggestion that no one has thought of and will certainly not happen, but would be interesting. Dell McGee, current assistant head coach at the cesspool (where I suffered last Saturday). Lots of potential upside reading his bio. Played DB at Auburn and a few years in the NFL. Was on staff at GSU as RB coach for 2 years after Monken left and the offense transitioned to Willie Fritz "option out of the gun" offense. I'm sure you remember how GSU ran and passed up and down the field in 2014 against the Jackets. It's more of a wide open offense than PJ's version and certainly more palatable to potential recruits. Still it lead the nation in rushing yards, TD's and YPC by a wide margin that year (more than GT has ever rushed ). It would easily fit the personnel on hand right now. When Fritz left for Tulane, McGee was the interrim head coach for the bowl win against Bowling Green and the players lobbied hard to have him be named the permanent head coach. Instead GSU hired the worst possible candidate and McGee moved to the Dwags as RB coach. This year was promoted to assistant HC. Named the #1 recruiter in the COUNTRY by Rivals and 24/7 Sports. This would put an end to all the complaining about recruiting, or at least if it didn't you would know once and for all that it's not the staff that's holding recruiting back. He's only 45 which is a plus too.

Downside - he's never been a head coach on the college level save for the Go Daddy Bowl win, was head coach at Carver HS. Still, Dabo had less coaching experience, but he has turned out to be a good CEO. He's successful at Clemson because he knows how to sell Clemson, and they have a ton of money to throw at assistant coaches (and who knows, players too?) Completely unknown if McGee could do the same as an organizer and head of a program. Still, he is hugely popular with players and has coached in an offensive system that would fit the DNA of Tech. He doesn't have to be a play caller like PJ, just get the coordinators that he has worked with to come on board. This could be a complete bust or a jackpot.

Whatever the decision is, I just hope they throw a wide net and take a good look at a bunch of candidates and get the one that ends up moving Tech to the next level GO JACKETS!!

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Hey all,

Would be curious your thoughts on Greg Schiano. Heard his name pop up on the radio today and I was intruiged. He checks off the following boxes:

- Proven HC with experience
- Solid recruiter who can develop
- can put together a good staff
- can do a lot with a little (at RU)
My OSU buddy says the defense has been a trainwreck for them this year. Talent, but FSU-level lack of discipline. So, nope.

GTechFBNut

Georgia Tech Fan
They have lost 12 guys to the NFL the last two years and most early.

Belichick considers him one of the best defensive minds in the game. I’m not worried about one year as a coordinator, just more curious based on what happened at UT would we accept him? It’s rare we could get a coach who almost got a very good SEC job. Would be a great hire IMO.

buzzn

Georgia Tech Fan
Long time lurker, first time poster (and after this, you may decide it should be the last time). Quick disclosure, Georgia Southern grad from Erk/PJ days in the 80's, followed GT passively until PJ came, became a season ticket holder for many years contributing to the Tech fund and will be a Tech fan for life.
Welcome aboard Forgivenfool! Great first post! We need more active, non-alumni die hards like you. I’m glad you’re a Jacket!
That’s a great name and I like the way you think.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
That would apply to every program. How do you get better talent? You recruit. Loved PJ but I thought he was woefully deficient in his emphasis or lack thereof on recruiting effort. I want a coach who gets off the podium on Saturdays after a win and gets right to recruiting. Relentless effort in recruiting.

I think PJs biggest miscalculation was he thought his system could be effective with anyone. And that’s partially true regarding his offense, but it does not apply to defense and that was a major fail. The effort on recruiting great players was not there.

Bullcrap. You guys act like PJ didn't try to recruit or make any effort. PJ tried to recruit, he just couldn't overcome the negativity.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
They have lost 12 guys to the NFL the last two years and most early.

Belichick considers him one of the best defensive minds in the game. I’m not worried about one year as a coordinator, just more curious based on what happened at UT would we accept him? It’s rare we could get a coach who almost got a very good SEC job. Would be a great hire IMO.
Sounds like y'all are trying to get rid of him, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.