Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
What are next year's likely openings?

Arkansas... South Carolina... Florida State...Miami...

If I am Elliott from Clemson I may wait for one of these to come instead.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
What are next year's likely openings?

Arkansas... South Carolina... Florida State...Miami...

If I am Elliott from Clemson I may wait for one of these to come instead.

FSU may open, but Miami still has a little bit due to qB injuries this year.

USCw, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Pitt, Virginia Tech, Oregon st, Auburn have high liklihoods of being open
Illinois, Michigan, Miami, Iowa, Texas on a terrible season, and WVU are low liklihood, but forseeable. Most of the big jobs were taken last year

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Heck no. Look at who’s ACTUALLY getting looked at for that job. Of course people will say Venebles because he went there but I’m not sure that could happen.
Let's be honest, Tech is not looking at big names either. Brent Key, the OL coach at Bama is being thrown around as a realistic candidate. If we pass on him, maybe we can get one of Bama's grad assistants to come be head coach.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
So if you are Tony Elliot, maybe the hottest coordinator name on the market... Do you wait for FSU, Miami, Arkansas, Auburn, etc to open...

Or do you take Georgia Tech, Louisville, etc this year?

This seems like an off year for coaching jobs for a guy like Elliot.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
So if you are Tony Elliot, maybe the hottest coordinator name on the market... Do you wait for FSU, Miami, Arkansas, Auburn, etc to open...

Tony Elliot is not the hottest coordinator name on the market. There's a reason UCF said, "Thanks, but no thanks," last year.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
When you take a big head coaching job I assume you want to take the safest one possible... These are already wealthy men.. does he have a better chance to succeed and further his career at Georgia Tech, or does he think he can do that at Miami South Carolina Arkansas etc

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I'd take this year because I don't think it's a guarantee that any really top tier job opens. I'm not confident that Richt will be gone from miami next year, and I'm still skeptical that FSU will get rid of Taggart next year and if they do go for a guy with no HC experience. If you're looking 3 or 4 years down the line, then taking a job like UL or GT could just better your chances if you do well. It's a risk of not working out and missing out of the biggest job, but I think if you're thinking that way you won't succeed there anyways. Plus, any coordinator will always have to contend with a Saban assistant for that line of thinking. If I'm him I'm trying to land in a P5 program with regional ties this year unless it's just a dumpster fire, which might be what he views UL as.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Let's be honest, Tech is not looking at big names either. Brent Key, the OL coach at Bama is being thrown around as a realistic candidate. If we pass on him, maybe we can get one of Bama's grad assistants to come be head coach.
Key is being thrown around by whom? Fans who long for the O'Leary days? There's no indication that we are interested in him or he us. I've heard some say he and Godsey had such a bad experience with Tech, they'd never consider coaching here. Yet, people keep bringing them up.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Key is being thrown around by whom? Fans who long for the O'Leary days? There's no indication that we are interested in him or he us. I've heard some say he and Godsey had such a bad experience with Tech, they'd never consider coaching here. Yet, people keep bringing them up.
"Three names I've heard as possible replacements: Brent Key..." AJC link. ESPN link. Washington Post link.

Others on this site have consistently mentioned Key, take a look at the thread entitled, "Potential Head Coach Hires."

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
When you take a big head coaching job I assume you want to take the safest one possible... These are already wealthy men.. does he have a better chance to succeed and further his career at Georgia Tech, or does he think he can do that at Miami South Carolina Arkansas etc

Not sure he has a better chance at being successful at South Carolina and I would say less of a chance at Arkansas. I don’t see the appeal there. They are clearly one of the bottom feeders in that division. That’s a tough job.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Collins has been gunning for the GT job basically since he left. I'm sure everyone at GTAA is aware of his interest.

For me, I don't see any reason to pick from outside the Elliot/Collins/Satterfield/Brown group. I'm OK at worst with any of them.

My ranked list:
1) Elliot
2) Brown
3) Collins
4) Satterfield
5-998) Anyone else
999) Whisenhunt
This are the top 4 I’d like as well, just different order.

1) Elliot
2)Collins
3)Satterfield
4)Brown

QuickKick

Georgia Tech Fan
Collins has been gunning for the GT job basically since he left. I'm sure everyone at GTAA is aware of his interest.

For me, I don't see any reason to pick from outside the Elliot/Collins/Satterfield/Brown group. I'm OK at worst with any of them.

My ranked list:
1) Elliot
2) Brown
3) Collins
4) Satterfield
5-998) Anyone else
999) Whisenhunt
Like your list but I would reverse 1 - 4.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
On the TO: The TO is not a good offense going forward given the blocking rule changes (penalizing cut blocks outside of the tackle box) and the overall focus to reduce the physical nature of the game. The perimeter cut blocking rule is particularly challenging because that prevents our small / less-talented ABs from cutting a big, physical LB.

On the academics / recruiting: there’s no question that we have some uphill battles with the administration. The calc / CS requirements in an already narrow curriculum are silly reqs for some of these Liberal Arts degrees. But with that said, I think TStan’s priority, following the coaching search / hiring, should be to build advocates within the liberal arts school to soften some of these core curriculum reqs. But even with those reqs: WE’RE IN THE ATL...this is the city of Civil Rights and Martin Luther King Jr (the African American community in ATL is more affluent than any other city in the country). I refuse to believe that a more energetic / proactive coaching staff couldn’t better connect with the surrounding communities to build more support and better recruiting. We want the guy the exudes the energy and drive to do exactly that.
Yeah I’m tired of hearing excuses

Status
Not open for further replies.