Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Given the GT limitations discussed, I think it’s important for AD to buy low. Look at Steelers hiring unheralded Tomlin when whiz and Russ Grimm were easy safe choices, but they went young and bold because Tomlin has “it”

I also think about Archie Miller who would have been a reach (too young no HC exp) when Tech was hitting CBG, but Dayton a smaller school could take the chance and hit.

So I say, be bold and go for Elliott IF you think he is smart dynamic and charismatic like Dabo, but don’t get him because of where he is and because he won Broyles award.

Be Bold TStan! [emoji219][emoji219][emoji219]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
You are 100% correct when you say I wasn't upset when he was let go. I'm not even trying to "wax" I'm just keeping it real. The dude didn't beat UGA and that's why people bad mouth him but he was not a terrible coach as some try to portray. Saying his years were forgettable is just butthurt talking. I'd feel much better if people were honest and came right out and said "He didn't beat UGA so I don't like him". At least be honest with yourself. So for the 3rd time, I'm a PJ guy and this isn't about him vs Chan.

ps - why aren't you asleep @kg01 ??

Chan did give us some big highlights. He just never seemed to bleed gold. It was just a job to him. He also viewed making a bowl game as making the playoffs in pro football. Those are the two issues that really got him in the end. Yes not beating UGA was a big part of it to.

I want someone committed to Tech and what makes it unique. We really are something special for the RIGHT athletes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Curious as to why Geoff collins isn't getting more attention. Proved he could recruit here and been a really good D coordinator

We really don’t know who is being considered and may never know. I know Collins has expressed interest just like Elliott and Key. Expressing interest does not mean you get an interview.

I think Tstan probably has two to three candidates on a short list that he has talked to during the season. Paul told him he was struggling earlier this year. I don’t see him as the reactive type.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought it a bit presumptuous to start a new thread and title it, "Steebu the Prophet". :ROFLMAO:

I posted this over a year ago - didn't think we'd be looking for a new HC so soon:

No matter who we hire at GT, they are going to face similar struggles that Gailey and PJ faced. Tough, rigorous academics. A mostly-unbending Hill. And a CFB landscape that is rapidly changing to a small group of haves and a large contingent of have-nots.
It doesn't matter if we get that energetic young guy who runs an uptempo Air Raid and slings it 90 times a game, he's going to face the same problems:

JP Felck: "Hey, tall 6'5" white guy with a rocket arm. Want to come to GT for our Forty Year Plan?"
5* White Guy with Rocket Arm: "Naw, I'm going to Clemson cuz gurlz and Parks n' Rec. And dat slide!"​
Now, all is not lost. We all have one great hope: Stansbury. Regardless of coach, Stansbury is the guy who can lead us into national (relative) prominence. He "gets it". He wants to succeed. And regardless who is the coach or what scheme we run he'll do his best, unlike other guys who said we can't win, or bolted for better jobs, or were just plain Sasquatch. [isn't that a Jack Links commercial? "AD'ing with Sasquatch, starring Mike Bobinsky"]​

Interesting that the 5-star, 6'5" White Guy with Rocket Arm turned out to be Trevor Lawrence. And surprise, he went to Clemson.

It's interesting to note that Bobby Ross said that if he knew how tough it was to recruit at GT he wouldn't have come, and this was before the APR. Let's see what the next guy and TS can do!

the **** did Trevor Lawrence ever do to you?

Dude had a 4.0 GPA in high school, which if were being honest, is probably higher than every single GPA on GT's incoming class last year.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Dear Todd Stansbury
Let me start by saying you don't know me and I'm fine although I have had season tickets for 37 years and send money to the A-T fund each year I'm sure my little bit means nothing in the big picture.

I am a little disappointed in you that you acted like when CPJ retired you were surprised. Word was he has been thinking of this before this year. I would have thought you would have noticed. I hope you did and you are just blowing smoke up my back end in order to do a search for our next coach.

Please don't just pick Ken Whisenhunt because you know him and it's easy and kind of lazy.

Please interview at least 4 or 5 of the coaches you feel or we think would be a good alternative to your friend .

I can say anyone other than Whisenhunt I could live with even if it takes my 3 years.

Ken Whisenhunt I my opinion would be a bad pick he has not coach in college football since 1996 22 year ago . Remember Vandy where he coached was only 2-9 that year and he was only an assistant coach.

I would love to have a Head Coach before signing day but it would be better to have a coach that knows college football.

Thanks

As a long term ticket holder, you don’t think about BL when we talk about these young guys. He was that guy at the time. He wasn’t ready for the difficulties of Tech and it destroyed his career. Do we want to repeat that?

Out most successful football hires have been proven.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
the **** did Trevor Lawrence ever do to you?

Dude had a 4.0 GPA in high school, which if were being honest, is probably higher than every single GPA on GT's incoming class last year.

Nothing against the kid, he is undeclared. I have heard he is a great high character person. Unless something has changed Tech does not let you do that.

The point is we generally can’t get kids like that. He is probably going to pick a typical Clemson athlete degree. The closest we probably ever came was Rick Strom who played for Pepper.

neb llarmus

Jolly Good Fellow
As a long term ticket holder, you don’t think about BL when we talk about these young guys. He was that guy at the time. He wasn’t ready for the difficulties of Tech and it destroyed his career. Do we want to repeat that?

BL lost the team over his QB decision. Never recovered. Let’s move on.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Nothing against the kid, he is undeclared. I have heard he is a great high character person. Unless something has changed Tech does not let you do that.

The point is we generally can’t get kids like that. He is probably going to pick a typical Clemson athlete degree. The closest we probably ever came was Rick Strom who played for Pepper.

Dude wants to major in broadcasting. GT doesn't offer that. We definitely can. Dude wouldn't even need a awaiver. South Carolina's standards are more difficult than the university system of Georgia's, to the point where Steve Spurrier threatened to quit over an athelte needing to get a waiver from South Carolina that met NCAA standards, but not South Carolinas.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

There were things going on behind the scenes that did not create a good atmosphere. Bad relationships with several of the parents. BL had success at ECU had a good staff there including Joe Logan who didn’t come with him.

slugboy

Staff member
On his radio interview Thursday. He said he was about to board a plane to head out that afternoon. I bet they had dinner Thursday night and finalized it then.

That would be a different hiring process than we have employed in the past. Since we’re an equal emloyment opportunity employer, we would need to have multiple interviews.
Second, even if we don’t retire a search firm, we usually have a search (and interview) committee. It’s not just TStan interviewing candidates.
I also believe the hire has to be approved by the athletic board.
Maybe you’re right, but I think the odds are a lot better that we haven’t talked officially to any candidates yet.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Not every younger coach hire is B*** L****. Was Lincoln Riley a mistake for OU? And are we talking simply age or an experience issue, because some of the younger guys who've been in the college game have far more applicable experience than a career NFL guy who may be older? In fact the academic rigors of Tech nearly did Gailey in. He wasn't prepared for that coming from the NFL and had to endure Flunkgate.

panther42

Jolly Good Fellow
That's a red herring bullshyte argument that GT can only win with the option offense. I believe GT will be able to win and go to bowl games with other offenses.
Couldn't agree more. The place where tmthe TO hurt you lost was being able to recruit defensive talent. Yeah the defense got to play against spread during the season but during the spring and fall camps a majority of what they saw was the TO, getting cut blocked, not having to defend the pass. I think that will improve moving forward.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I certainly dont think GT can only win running the option, but I think running the modern option gives GT an identity and bringing in someone who runs it would directly translate to the current roster.

I honestly believe if Troy Calhoun or Chad Lunsford came in to coach the team would win 10 games next year.

I think if they hire Whisenhut the team will win 2-3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.