Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, this isn't a discussion. This is just you choosing not to like the guy. That's fine, that's your right. But I'll go ahead and bow out of this.

OhioSt, Bama, UGa, even FSU have more talent than Clem.
No way Ohio state or FSU has the talent Clemson has. Georgia and Bama are probably equal. You’re talking about a team that their front 4 alone are all top 15 picks

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
On the TO: The TO is not a good offense going forward given the blocking rule changes (penalizing cut blocks outside of the tackle box) and the overall focus to reduce the physical nature of the game. The perimeter cut blocking rule is particularly challenging because that prevents our small / less-talented ABs from cutting a big, physical LB.

On the academics / recruiting: there’s no question that we have some uphill battles with the administration. The calc / CS requirements in an already narrow curriculum are silly reqs for some of these Liberal Arts degrees. But with that said, I think TStan’s priority, following the coaching search / hiring, should be to build advocates within the liberal arts school to soften some of these core curriculum reqs. But even with those reqs: WE’RE IN THE ATL...this is the city of Civil Rights and Martin Luther King Jr (the African American community in ATL is more affluent than any other city in the country). I refuse to believe that a more energetic / proactive coaching staff couldn’t better connect with the surrounding communities to build more support and better recruiting. We want the guy the exudes the energy and drive to do exactly that.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Is Kansas State a better job opportunity than Techs?
No. Just an apples to oranges comparison. K-State can get anyone in, but Manhattan KS is only a slightly better locale than Ames IA. We have the hard and narrow academics, but we are in ATL. Also, they will never have the athletics budget of a conference competitor like Texas, so no different from us vs Clemson or FSU.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
We are probably looking at coaches with southern connections, so there may not be much overlap between their wish list and ours.

Goatman93

Jolly Good Fellow
Come on, guys. Pay attention. Venables already said he is staying at Clemson, turning down a friend at Texas Tech. Besides, Snyder has this interesting clause in his contract: he can participate naming his successor. And his son is a coach under him. Conflicted, anyone?
A lot of the Clemson media thinks he may end up there .

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I have heard from friends who live on Lake Keowee that Venables has a house there and has recently put it on the market. Maybe he’s just looking to buy a bigger house, or maybe . . .

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Not every younger coach hire is B*** L****. Was Lincoln Riley a mistake for OU? And are we talking simply age or an experience issue, because some of the younger guys who've been in the college game have far more applicable experience than a career NFL guy who may be older? In fact the academic rigors of Tech nearly did Gailey in. He wasn't prepared for that coming from the NFL and had to endure Flunkgate.

Good point. Someone on the “UGA Blows” chat last night asked me for my top HC pick(s). I said Tony Elliott and Geoff Collins. In reference to Elliott, he posted that he wasn’t sure that hiring a young hotshot that’s accustomed to coaching 4 and 5 stars, even though he’s experienced success, is necessarily an indicator of future success. Also a good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Their pool is a lot different than ours. Early names are Seth Littrell (UNT coach), Bohl from Wyoming, the current NDSU coach, and Jim Leavitt (current Oregon DC, former USF HC), along with Venables.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Collins has been gunning for the GT job basically since he left. I'm sure everyone at GTAA is aware of his interest.

For me, I don't see any reason to pick from outside the Elliot/Collins/Satterfield/Brown group. I'm OK at worst with any of them.

My ranked list:
1) Elliot
2) Brown
3) Collins
4) Satterfield
5-998) Anyone else
999) Whisenhunt

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Heck no. Look at who’s ACTUALLY getting looked at for that job. Of course people will say Venebles because he went there but I’m not sure that could happen.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
All the buzz online is saying Satterfield to Louisville...

Littrell to Kansas State...

Tucker to Colorado...

Dude from Utah State to Texas Tech...

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, Venables is likely staying at Clemson. The rumor is that they already asked him and he said no. Venables' sons play on the Clemson team, so I could see him wanting to stick around at least until they're finished. He's the highest paid coordinator (more than some P5 head coaches), so he can do whatever he wants for the most part. It'll likely be Seth Littrell.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
All the buzz online is saying Satterfield to Louisville...

Littrell to Kansas State...

Tucker to Colorado...

Dude from Utah State to Texas Tech...

Louisville seems like a hot mess. After hearing Satterfield talk about culture, that would surprise me. $$$$ can be persuasive, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.