Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
lol. Clemson has the best talent in the country so any coach on that team will look great. Ventibles? Is the prime example. At OU is sucked. Goes to Clemson and he is lights out. Don’t start that crap about he could recruit them here. Never gonna happen. The last time it was reported Clemson was 75% special admits. He will not get those type players to come to GT anywhere near what he has now at all the positions at Clemson. That is why I would put Neal Brown at my top. Satterfield at 2.
With that being said. I think it will be Whiz. That is the way GT always picks a coach. Older experienced HC

They don't have the best talent in the country but they are indeed talented. That's kinda the point. We need talent and someone capable of acquiring our fair share of it.

I don't want us to keep trying the 'do more with less' game. That's settling and a cop-out.

I'm well-versed in how/why we don't always swim in the same recruiting waters as the factories. However, that doesn't mean we've been recruiting/signing the best takent that's available to us.

I read someone post yesterday that high schoolers in GA were too dumb/lazy to even apply to GT. That's unbelievably arrogant, dismissive and inaccurate.

We can do better than we have while acknowledging that we have to target the right guys.

As I said, I'm not totally against any particular guy, save one. I just don't agree with the anti-Elliot stuff anymore.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
They don't have the best talent in the country but they are indeed talented. That's kinda the point. We need talent and someone capable of acquiring our fair share of it.

I don't want us to keep trying the 'do more with less' game. That's settling and a cop-out.

I'm well-versed in how/why we don't always swim in the same recruiting waters as the factories. However, that doesn't mean we've been recruiting/signing the best takent that's available to us.

I read someone post yesterday that high schoolers in GA were too dumb/lazy to even apply to GT. That's unbelievably arrogant, dismissive and inaccurate.

We can do better than we have while acknowledging that we have to target the right guys.

As I said, I'm not totally against any particular guy, save one. I just don't agree with the anti-Elliot stuff anymore.
Who has better talent?

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, this isn't a discussion. This is just you choosing not to like the guy. That's fine, that's your right. But I'll go ahead and bow out of this.

OhioSt, Bama, UGa, even FSU have more talent than Clem.
I’ll remind you of this when Clemson win the title again

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, this isn't a discussion. This is just you choosing not to like the guy. That's fine, that's your right. But I'll go ahead and bow out of this.

OhioSt, Bama, UGa, even FSU have more talent than Clem.

Agree. Dabo and the whole Clem staff do not get enough credit for their coaching and motivating. Dunno why.

They recruit much better than they used to, but still get a good amount of 3 star players, I think.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

Agree. Did we not heavily recruit the Jefferies kid from Newton at Clemson, and Enagbare from Hapeville at South Carolina, the Hawaiian DE to Notre Dame? Posters need to stop acting like every recruit we lose out on is academics. No one is saying we could sign everyone Clemson does, but we lose out on plenty of qualifiers to the factories.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Seems to be all quiet the last couple days with no new rumors dropping. Not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. Do conflicting reports on Whisenhunt indicate there’s a difference of opinion on him internally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think TStan has been sequestered as part of his CFP obligations. This might have something to do with the lack of new news and rumors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I’ll remind you of this when Clemson win the title again

If it was all about raw talent, FSU and UGA would alternate winning titles, AUB and UF would be in the playoff and USC and TX would win 13 games every year.

Agree. Dabo and the whole Clem staff do not get enough credit for their coaching and motivating. Dunno why.

They recruit much better than they used to, but still get a good amount of 3 star players, I think.

Basically this. I used to call him Dabo the Clown. But after I actually looked deeper than the surface, it became clear there's more going on there than simple talent acquisition and star chasing.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Dear Todd Stansbury
Let me start by saying you don't know me and I'm fine although I have had season tickets for 37 years and send money to the A-T fund each year I'm sure my little bit means nothing in the big picture.

I am a little disappointed in you that you acted like when CPJ retired you were surprised. Word was he has been thinking of this before this year. I would have thought you would have noticed. I hope you did and you are just blowing smoke up my back end in order to do a search for our next coach.

Please don't just pick Ken Whisenhunt because you know him and it's easy and kind of lazy.

Please interview at least 4 or 5 of the coaches you feel or we think would be a good alternative to your friend .

I can say anyone other than Whisenhunt I could live with even if it takes my 3 years.

Ken Whisenhunt I my opinion would be a bad pick he has not coach in college football since 1996 22 year ago . Remember Vandy where he coached was only 2-9 that year and he was only an assistant coach.

I would love to have a Head Coach before signing day but it would be better to have a coach that knows college football.

Thanks

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I just want a friggin decision already. The suspense is killing me. I just want to be bummed or excited. I’m tired of waiting to see how I feel lol

I'll be excited whoever is hired. I'll welcome the new guy regardless because even if he's my last choice I'll just hope I was wrong (it's been know to happen). Nobody knows for sure about these things. You might be sure he's the wrong guy but just get lucky. Or you might be sure he's the right guy and get unlucky. Besides, we have no control, anyway. We're just along for the ride. Those twists and turns in the road are the quirks of fate, and none of us knows for sure where the road leads.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll be excited whoever is hired. I'll welcome the new guy regardless because even if he's my last choice I'll just hope I was wrong (it's been know to happen). Nobody knows for sure about these things. You might be sure he's the wrong guy but just get lucky. Or you might be sure he's the right guy and get unlucky. Besides, we have no control, anyway. We're just along for the ride. Those twists and turns in the road are the quirks of fate, and none of us knows for sure where the road leads.
Well said

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought it a bit presumptuous to start a new thread and title it, "Steebu the Prophet". :ROFLMAO:

I posted this over a year ago - didn't think we'd be looking for a new HC so soon:

No matter who we hire at GT, they are going to face similar struggles that Gailey and PJ faced. Tough, rigorous academics. A mostly-unbending Hill. And a CFB landscape that is rapidly changing to a small group of haves and a large contingent of have-nots.
It doesn't matter if we get that energetic young guy who runs an uptempo Air Raid and slings it 90 times a game, he's going to face the same problems:

JP Felck: "Hey, tall 6'5" white guy with a rocket arm. Want to come to GT for our Forty Year Plan?"
5* White Guy with Rocket Arm: "Naw, I'm going to Clemson cuz gurlz and Parks n' Rec. And dat slide!"​

Now, all is not lost. We all have one great hope: Stansbury. Regardless of coach, Stansbury is the guy who can lead us into national (relative) prominence. He "gets it". He wants to succeed. And regardless who is the coach or what scheme we run he'll do his best, unlike other guys who said we can't win, or bolted for better jobs, or were just plain Sasquatch. [isn't that a Jack Links commercial? "AD'ing with Sasquatch, starring Mike Bobinsky"]​

Interesting that the 5-star, 6'5" White Guy with Rocket Arm turned out to be Trevor Lawrence. And surprise, he went to Clemson.

It's interesting to note that Bobby Ross said that if he knew how tough it was to recruit at GT he wouldn't have come, and this was before the APR. Let's see what the next guy and TS can do!

Cam

Helluva Engineer
The only way I see hiring Ken Whisenhunt as a good move is if there are REALLY big money guys that pledge to donate if that hire is made. I am talking hiring top notch assistants and moving the 2020 Initiative much closer to completion. However, I highly doubt that is the case. I also question whether he'd just abandon a playoff bound Chargers team mid-season. Though all insiders seem to be saying that he's not a legitimate candidate.

From the names I've seen mentioned, I like Tony Elliott and Scott Satterfield the most. Satterfield is getting more and more traction to become the Louisville head coach, but I wonder if he'd be interested in reuniting with Nate Woody and building the GT program up. As for Elliott, I think he'd be a great fit offensively and culture-wise. He has an industrial engineering degree, won the Broyles award last year as the top assistant coach, supposedly recruits the Atlanta area for Clemson and does it very well, and would create a great amount of excitement around the program. But I have read that we're going to try for guys like Geoff Collins, Neal Brown, and Satterfield first before we move onto our "no head coaching experience" candidates.

Although, honestly, I will support whoever we hire. I'll trust that Todd Stansbury did his homework and got the best available. I think GT is in a great position where we are currently the best job available, so we can afford to be patient and make the right choice. Right now I just want more news and rumors to pop up.

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
True but a good way to lose fan support.

If you don’t support a new coach regardless of who it is, are you really a fan? No matter who it is we should support them as they come in.

I have seem coaches come and go here and was excited about every hire. On paper they all brought something to the table. Unfortunately one really failed. It happens. I gave him the benefit of the doubt until it was obvious he could not handle the job.

ALL candidates including CKW bring something unique to the table. Let’s be positive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.