Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Tee Martin. Was in the mix for UT, OC at USC. Fired today.

Would definitely help in recruiting, link to LA talent, experience as a national champion.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think we have to hire a head coach that’s a known expert on either side of the ball. We can’t have a ceo style coach. We don’t have the money to do so unless we get a super cheap ceo type / recruiter coach (free up money to surround him w stud OC and DC, a la Dabo when he got promoted)

I actually like Gus as a coach. No one can deny he’s an amazing offensive mind. Hell, he’s one year removed from the SEC championship. He has the misfortune of coaching in the toughest division in football against a once in a generation coach (that coaches their rival) Auburn is crazy to cut him loose so soon. We also will get a deal because auburn would pay a portion of his salary. Plus we have the QB today to make his system work. We have a few of them in fact.

Alternatively, we go deep in the defensive side of the ball and hire firey guy that can instill a culture at tech for defense. Start every athlete on defense first. That being said, AD finds money and makes him hire an option guru, spread or triple. No “buddy hiring” on this one, we need someone that can surprise other teams, an equalizer offense.

Gus is a reach of course but I think the approach/strategy is sound. No Whisenhunt, no grey hair, “well back in my day” kind of guy.

I can deny he’s an amazing offensive mind. They’re stale as **** unless they have a game breaker at QB. Like a big time talent at QB. Last year their Defense carried them along with Kerryon Johnson.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Let me ask Y'all something our AD holds a new conference to name our new head coach . He is not one the people anyone pick on here. You have not heard of him and have to google his name just to see who he is , how long are you going to give him ?

Ummmmmm. About 30 seconds?

Wreckaholic

Georgia Tech Fan
If I am AD first I have to ask myself what do I want in a coach, starting with do I want a CEO type (Dabo), or good X&O type? I dont think we have budget to hire top shelf O & D coordinators (see what Clemson's coordinators pull in) so we are probably looking at an X&O coach.

I dont really care about scheme as long as they have shown an eye for putting together a staff, and recruiting to the scheme they are looking to run- ideally with national exposure on the staff. A candidate who has proven (1) they can do more with less, and (2) done so with (academic) restrictions while running a clean program get extra points.

I'm not sure if that candidate exists! Offensively I prefer a power run based option with a solid passing foundation. We may need to go to a more zone blocking approach. Defensively I like the approach CNW brought and hope he gets to stay.

I do like elements to the Leach/Briles tree but dont want the baggage (and dont think the Hill would either). Elliott from Clemson is interesting as he has seen how Clemson has built their brand, but that is much easier when you have buy in from the school admin and have few recruiting restrictions. Bama's OC is also interesting but again would he have the same success with our recruiting restrictions.

Of course any scheme works better with top talent, but Malzhan is a no for me.

Satterfield is interesting. How about Brad Scott? Seems he started the entire Clemson offense way back.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look for our fund raising to be done and looking in 5 to 6 mill range for new coach.... TStans took the money ... over trying to get the program back on track with the new initiatives he had started and he plainly stated CPJ had been behind the eight ball with other AD...timing is everything but think we are 3 years to early CPJ had us trending up and with more money ...the big dogs who didn’t like an offense paid to get what they wanted ...I know one of them and he is a **** ...never pissed between a pair of cleats ... not much respect for TStan....he is now a bought man ... not a place I would want to be in ...

Interesting. I don't usually share what's behind a paywall, but both premium boards are reporting CPJ chose to step down and was not forced out.

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
GT needs to be all over Mike Houston if it turns out he hasn't taken the Charlotte job. He runs an offense that would transition very nicely from the TO. Also, the man is a WINNER!

At Lenoir Rhyne, his first HC job, he went 7-3, 9-3 and 13-2. He made the DII naty champ his last year.

In his second year at the Citadel, 2015, he won 9 games and beat USC. The Citadel only won 7 games twice in the previous 22 years. He can win with lesser talent.

At JMU he has gone 14-1, 14-1, and 9-3 this year. He won the FCS champ in 2016 and lost in the finals in 2017. He took an above average JMU team and made them ELITE.

In his 8 years as a head coach, he has finished FIRST in his conference every year except one.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
GT needs to be all over Mike Houston if it turns out he hasn't taken the Charlotte job. He runs an offense that would transition very nicely from the TO. Also, the man is a WINNER!

At Lenoir Rhyne, his first HC job, he went 7-3, 9-3 and 13-2. He made the DII naty champ his last year.

In his second year at the Citadel, 2015, he won 9 games and beat USC. The Citadel only won 7 games twice in the previous 22 years. He can win with lesser talent.

At JMU he has gone 14-1, 14-1, and 9-3 this year. He won the FCS champ in 2016 and lost in the finals in 2017. He took an abover average JMU team and made them ELITE.

In his 8 years as a head coach, he has finished FIRST in his conference every year except one.
Charlotte hired him has their new head football coach

Status
Not open for further replies.