Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Guys can we please get behind the hire and unite when it’s announced! We are all GT fans over individual coach fans. Together We Swarm!

Even if it’s a bad hire? No thanks. If we hire Whiz, I’ll still be a fan and might buy individual game tickets but I won’t marry the guy for the season by buying season tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
his ego, this donor's ego is beyond reproach. He knows Todd. Knows Ken. He feels he is in a position to control and that is what he likes and does. Power and control w/access is what donors are about...or some I should say. Depends on the person.

The thing thats worse is bud likes ken according to rumors. Thats even worse, because then, Todd can't be fired as easily for a bonehead choice..."they" all got it wrong. But they got the donation.

That donation better be 50 million, at least....
This is where I am struggling. So here is my "what would you choose" question:
a) Big donor pays for Ken but ensures Ken will have sufficient funds for 1.8 mill in assistant coaches (this would put us kind of in the Clemson ball park) and will ensure we can increase our projected recruiting staff from 4 to 10 (we have three currently and are trying to fill the fourth I believe).
or
b) TStan has the same coaching budget and recruiting budget to pick a coach from. I believe we have 3 mil for CPJ who is also OC. So let's say 1 mill for coordinators total + rest of assistants. No change to the four recruiting staff.

I obviously have no idea what is actually going on, but if this were the sort of scenario TStan is dealing with, I understand why he'd be put in a hard place.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
My definition of flabbergasted is how many GT fans want to stay with the TO ???? ... do you guys not watch any other football ????
Preach it ! People got enamored with it & PJ for some reason , but I want recruiting to get better & it won’t if we stay with it , & ive heard some say that uga & Clemson want us to go away from option ........have y’all watched the last could uga vs gt games or the last 4 Clemson vs gt games ?

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW - just mentioned by Matt Chernoff that he got a text from someone he knows who said he sat on a plane next to Whiz's wife. She said an offer was made by TStan to Whiz and they have 48 hours to decide.

No idea if it's true, but that's coming from some random guy that texted a radio show.

Edit: Preemptively, don't kill the messenger. Just relaying what was heard on the radio. This is not first hand insider info.
How many hours ago was this? Hurry up clock

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This is where I am struggling. So here is my "what would you choose" question:
a) Big donor pays for Ken but ensures Ken will have sufficient funds for 1.8 mill in assistant coaches (this would put us kind of in the Clemson ball park) and will ensure we can increase our projected recruiting staff from 4 to 10 (we have three currently and are trying to fill the fourth I believe).
or
b) TStan has the same coaching budget and recruiting budget to pick a coach from. I believe we have 3 mil for CPJ who is also OC. So let's say 1 mill for coordinators total + rest of assistants. No change to the four recruiting staff.

I obviously have no idea what is actually going on, but if this were the sort of scenario TStan is dealing with, I understand why he'd be put in a hard place.
b. Don't allow yourself to be controlled by an ego maniac. If he genuinely cared about the program he'd donate anyways and not try and control the entire football program. This kind of stuff does not work out.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Preach it ! People got enamored with it & PJ for some reason , but I want recruiting to get better & it won’t if we stay with it , & ive heard some say that uga & Clemson want us to go away from option ........have y’all watched the last could uga vs gt games or the last 4 Clemson vs gt games ?
We have a better record against UGA than Auburn does in CPJ's time frame. You do realize UGA is beating everybody badly right?

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
Back when Chan Gailey was hired, I believe that Charlie Taaffe was in the mix of candidates for the job. (If this isn't the case, no doubt someone on here will clear that up.) Taaffe had been Army OC for a couple of years, then used the wishbone at The Citadel as HC for 10 seasons -- managing to get the good Bulldogs to their best season, and going 6-5 against 1-A teams in those years -- before going to the CFL and its wide-open offenses and twice being CFL coach of the year. He came back to the college ranks as Maryland's OC from 2001-2005 -- yep, Taaffe was chosen by the beloved Ralph Friedgen to be his OC. Taaffe went back to the CFL for two poor seasons, then resurfaced in 2009 as UCF's OC for six years, where he and UCF did well.

I wondered, from time to time, how things would've worked out if in 2002 Tech had plucked Charlie Taaffe from Friedgen's staff, instead of going with (predominantly) NFL guy Chan Gailey back in 2002. (Mind you, Gailey was a good guy, and a solid conventional coach. In his younger days he could be innovative; as HC at then-Troy State he used a "hurry-up" wishbone attack in '84 when they won the Div. 2 title. By the time he got to Tech, however, he was a NFL guy since leaving Troy in 1984 -- and was a very conventional coach.)

I so hope Tech doesn't opt for another NFL guy again. Just -- no.

Presumptive lamentation -- not venting -- concluded.
I know Tom O’bryan from Boston college was a candidate too wouldn’t be

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
b. Don't allow yourself to be controlled by an ego maniac. If he genuinely cared about the program he'd donate anyways and not try and control the entire football program. This kind of stuff does not work out.
I agree, but that kind of increase could change the program. It's easy to make decisions like this when it's just bits on a screen and no money actually changes hands.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
We have a better record against UGA than Auburn does in CPJ's time frame. You do realize UGA is beating everybody badly right?
I hate to say it , but uga is gonna be a power for awhile , I’m hoping a recruiting scandal happens or something to slow them down

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Sitting back with popcorn in hand having a good chuckle at all those negative on CPJ now wringing their hands as some names come off the board and others are rumored otherwise.

I notice a lot of the CPJ and Roof haters are suddenly TStan hating. With nothing at all to go on except those names going off the board as other programs make hires.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Guys can we please get behind the hire and unite when it’s announced! We are all GT fans over individual coach fans. Together We Swarm!

I will (always have) gotten behind the team. I hold the leadership team (AD and HC) responsible for the success or failure. That is how it works in business, football, and life. I will always pull for the Jackets, but it is wrong to support a failing leadership team. The players deserve better.

I am not saying Todd has failed, but blindly following the desire of a couple donors is a big step in that direction IMO. Once the hire is made I will hold my tongue one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.