Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
To which one of these objections do the great offenses we've had here not provide a counterexample to disprove it? I'll give you number 4, actually - that could be valid, though I'm not convinced of it.

I don’t buy # 4 at all. Number 5....there is something to that. No matter how good CPJ’s offense has been...he hasn’t been able to shake the stupid stigmas. I think he’d have to succeed in the playoffs to ever do that...and then maybe with only Bama.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Why would anyone see KW's offensive as innovative? Also, how can an offense that doesn't incorporate some option be innovative. It doesn't have to be ours. Hell, even Bama runs some option. We ran option with Godsey. What about the Chargers' offense or the Titans' offense was innovative? Was it the flee flicker? I guess if you go back to '81, it was innovative. Idiotic. Frost and Heupel are innovative. No NFL offense is innovative.
innovate
<transitive verb>

1 : to come with the ringing endorsement of one out of touch old guy
2 archaic : to effect a larger pocketbook

alagold

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, that is a quote from the Chargers' head coach, who says "it wouldn't surprise him" if it's Whisenhunt's job to turn down because he's a great coach. That doesn't necessarily mean that it is.

It's not over until they announce it, but I will be beyond bummed if it is.
Wasp,
I would bet a lot that Wiz is the guy.

slugboy

Staff member
Unlikely and I guarantee Todd doesn’t care about some backlash when he has some major money boosters wanting KW
Unless we get turned down by 4-5 folks I’d bet big $ we are moving away from the triple option

The backlash made the paper. That means it’s clear and obvious. I’m sure that the big money boosters have heard it too.
I’d be surprised if Stansbury and the boosters don’t care about backlash; he’d at least wonder if it was justified.
I doubt he’s ruling out TO coaches—he just wants to win, and I don’t think scheme is his primary criteria, pro or con. He may not interview a TO coach, but if so, I’d bet on luck of the draw rather than purposeful omission.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Guys from a GS perspective don't worry about not hiring Satterfield. He a good coach, but is the product of them having a solid stable situation there. He is not a home run hire by any stretch. I'm a Tech fan also and hope they hire the right guy. From our experience at GS hiring the wrong guy will bring immediate problems. We hit the bottom in less than two years of Tyson Summers. We put ourselves in the worst situation possible with that hire. I would not trade our guy for Satterfield. Coach Lunsford doesn't have to the experience yet for Tech, but at some point we will not be able to keep him. He will be that good.

Here is my reasoning. Scott is a good coach with an adaptable scheme to what we run. We could transition to it relatively quickly, and with some luck keep Woody and have another progression on the defensive side of the ball. If Todd was being truthful and wants to win, he should have at least reached out to him. It makes sense from a team standpoint and transition.

If you go the KW route then you are blowing all that up, and will start over in all facets.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
FWIW - just mentioned by Matt Chernoff that he got a text from someone he knows who said he sat on a plane next to Whiz's wife. She said an offer was made by TStan to Whiz and they have 48 hours to decide.

No idea if it's true, but that's coming from some random guy that texted a radio show.

Edit: Preemptively, don't kill the messenger. Just relaying what was heard on the radio. This is not first hand insider info.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hope you are wrong, 33, but starting to think you will not be. I wish I could understand why a big money donor would think that Chan 2.0 makes sense?

his ego, this donor's ego is beyond reproach. He knows Todd. Knows Ken. He feels he is in a position to control and that is what he likes and does. Power and control w/access is what donors are about...or some I should say. Depends on the person.

The thing thats worse is bud likes ken according to rumors. Thats even worse, because then, Todd can't be fired as easily for a bonehead choice..."they" all got it wrong. But they got the donation.

That donation better be 50 million, at least....

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Back when Chan Gailey was hired, I believe that Charlie Taaffe was in the mix of candidates for the job. (If this isn't the case, no doubt someone on here will clear that up.) Taaffe had been Army OC for a couple of years, then used the wishbone at The Citadel as HC for 10 seasons -- managing to get the good Bulldogs to their best season, and going 6-5 against 1-A teams in those years -- before going to the CFL and its wide-open offenses and twice being CFL coach of the year. He came back to the college ranks as Maryland's OC from 2001-2005 -- yep, Taaffe was chosen by the beloved Ralph Friedgen to be his OC. Taaffe went back to the CFL for two poor seasons, then resurfaced in 2009 as UCF's OC for six years, where he and UCF did well.

I wondered, from time to time, how things would've worked out if in 2002 Tech had plucked Charlie Taaffe from Friedgen's staff, instead of going with (predominantly) NFL guy Chan Gailey back in 2002. (Mind you, Gailey was a good guy, and a solid conventional coach. In his younger days he could be innovative; as HC at then-Troy State he used a "hurry-up" wishbone attack in '84 when they won the Div. 2 title. By the time he got to Tech, however, he was a NFL guy since leaving Troy in 1984 -- and was a very conventional coach.)

I so hope Tech doesn't opt for another NFL guy again. Just -- no.

Presumptive lamentation -- not venting -- concluded.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
his ego, this donor's ego is beyond reproach. He knows Todd. Knows Ken. He feels he is in a position to control and that is what he likes and does. Power and control w/access is what donors are about...or some I should say. Depends on the person.

The thing thats worse is bud likes ken according to rumors. Thats even worse, because then, Todd can't be fired as easily for a bonehead choice..."they" all got it wrong. But they got the donation.

That donation better be 50 million, at least....
If it's a $50m donation I can live with whiz. Hope he gets tee martin on staff.
*It all better be earmarked for football and mens bball.

Status
Not open for further replies.