Potential Head Coach Hires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Back when Chan Gailey was hired, I believe that Charlie Taaffe was in the mix of candidates for the job. (If this isn't the case, no doubt someone on here will clear that up.) Taaffe had been Army OC for a couple of years, then used the wishbone at The Citadel as HC for 10 seasons -- managing to get the good Bulldogs to their best season, and going 6-5 against 1-A teams in those years -- before going to the CFL and its wide-open offenses and twice being CFL coach of the year. He came back to the college ranks as Maryland's OC from 2001-2005 -- yep, Taaffe was chosen by the beloved Ralph Friedgen to be his OC. Taaffe went back to the CFL for two poor seasons, then resurfaced in 2009 as UCF's OC for six years, where he and UCF did well.

I wondered, from time to time, how things would've worked out if in 2002 Tech had plucked Charlie Taaffe from Friedgen's staff, instead of going with (predominantly) NFL guy Chan Gailey back in 2002. (Mind you, Gailey was a good guy, and a solid conventional coach. In his younger days he could be innovative; as HC at then-Troy State he used a "hurry-up" wishbone attack in '84 when they won the Div. 2 title. By the time he got to Tech, however, he was a NFL guy since leaving Troy in 1984 -- and was a very conventional coach.)

I so hope Tech doesn't opt for another NFL guy again. Just -- no.

Presumptive lamentation -- not venting -- concluded.

You know, it's funny how coaches get conservative over time. CPJ in his younger years use to throw out some crazy formations, had more varied concepts. He also utilized the RnS more than he did at GT. Of course, he had better throwing QBs, but he had the opportunity to change that here as well. Never did...not saying it was the wrong decision, it was just something he did (or did not do to be more specific).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I will (always have) gotten behind the team. I hold the leadership team (AD and HC) responsible for the success or failure. That is how it works in business, football, and life. I will always pull for the Jackets, but it is wrong to support a failing leadership team. The players deserve better.

I am not saying Todd has failed, but blindly following the desire of a couple donors is a big step in that direction IMO. Once the hire is made I will hold my tongue one way or another.

So if Belks hires a new CEO today...and he doesn’t beat out Amazon in sales over the next four years...do you fire that CEO after year four?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
At this point I have more hope in KW doing the right thing and turning us down than TS listening to his fans. Nothing personal against KW as I like him and have always pulled for him but I do not believe he will be successful here. He's an NFL guy.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This is where I am struggling. So here is my "what would you choose" question:
a) Big donor pays for Ken but ensures Ken will have sufficient funds for 1.8 mill in assistant coaches (this would put us kind of in the Clemson ball park) and will ensure we can increase our projected recruiting staff from 4 to 10 (we have three currently and are trying to fill the fourth I believe).
or
b) TStan has the same coaching budget and recruiting budget to pick a coach from. I believe we have 3 mil for CPJ who is also OC. So let's say 1 mill for coordinators total + rest of assistants. No change to the four recruiting staff.

I obviously have no idea what is actually going on, but if this were the sort of scenario TStan is dealing with, I understand why he'd be put in a hard place.

IF, big if, this is the situation we find ourselves in then it is a direct result over all the screaming about lack of support and money. It'd be a nice twist of irony if all the pointing of fingers about lack of support ended up forcing TStan to make the hire that those same people hate because it would generate the most donation dollars.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I really haven't chimed in on this whole thread much.

I see all the hand-wringing about Whisenhunt being the next Chan.

Maybe. Or maybe he'll be the next Pete Carroll. Everyone said the same thing about Carroll when he got hired at SC (old, unimaginative, doesn't belong, hasn't coached the college game in 20 years, NFL washout).

If he's hired, I certainly hope he's the latter.

Also, LOL at all the "I have a friend whose cousin sat on the plane next to the assistant radio guy's ex-girlfriend who said Whiz has an offer ..." I'm sure some of us have inside sources. And maybe it's just me, I'd much prefer that these rumors not get mongered (hey, it sounds cool).

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
So if Belks hires a new CEO today...and he doesn’t beat out Amazon in sales over the next four years...do you fire that CEO after year four?

It’s about progression, setting the correct vision, and executing. You should see progress in the positive direction. 4 years? Not for the scenario you mentioned, but if the CEO has redefined his/her supply chain, used analytics to drive targeted sales to the existing base and expanded the online model to include vendors that weren’t store sourced, I would keep them. That is progression.

The thing most people don’t realize about amazon is that any merchant can compete with them because they have an open supply chain model. That is why they divest money into R&D to drive product innovation unique to them. They didn’t overtake Belk in 4 years, but Belk allowed themselves to be overtaken by poor leadership. The opposite of what I mentioned above.

The same goes for football.

Last edited:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm over it. I'm gon' root for my Jackets 'cause I ain't got much choice.

I guess now I'll see how all the CPJ-haters felt all these years finding creative ways to say I don't like the coach instead of coming right out and just saying I don't like the coach. Super weird.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I guess now I'll see how all the CPJ-haters felt all these years finding creative ways to say I don't like the coach instead of coming right out and just saying I don't like the coach. Super weird.

People that hated Chan and paul are going to hate the new guy in a minute or so. certain people just are wired to be glass half empty types. Nothing you or I can do about it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I really haven't chimed in on this whole thread much.

I see all the hand-wringing about Whisenhunt being the next Chan.

Maybe. Or maybe he'll be the next Pete Carroll. Everyone said the same thing about Carroll when he got hired at SC (old, unimaginative, doesn't belong, hasn't coached the college game in 20 years, NFL washout).

If he's hired, I certainly hope he's the latter.

Also, LOL at all the "I have a friend whose cousin sat on the plane next to the assistant radio guy's ex-girlfriend who said Whiz has an offer ..." I'm sure some of us have inside sources. And maybe it's just me, I'd much prefer that these rumors not get mongered (hey, it sounds cool).
Whiz wishes he had Pete Carroll's pre-USC NFL record.

MidtownJacket

Staff member

I mean.. this is going to be interesting. I hope CPJ is lurking on the board reading this hears about it all sitting on a boat fishing or striding down the green to make a birdy putt and smiles about the prophetic words he had about the loud mouthed noise makers needing a target.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Biting the hand that feeds ?

Guys it’s clear that we need resources and money for us to do what we all want - thrive. Given that it seems to me that T Stan has proven that he is trying. A state of the art locker room, redesigned baseball stadium, tennis facility, 90 million dollar revamp of The Edge Center, none of this is free and he has at least kept The Hill from poo pooing all of it.

If donors are willing to come forward for T Stan in a real meaningful way it will be the first time in my lifetime that it’s happened. I was a Satterfield guy and I lost out on that. My question is this. If T Stan gets major donations from major donors isn’t the head coach whose picked worthy of a chance ?

There seems to be a lot of assumptions being made about Wiz, why are some of us so unhappy when nothing has played out yet ?

Isn’t there a chance that with Wiz here our more notable former attendees, Like Megatron, become more involved ? We know he wasn’t a 3O fan. We have no idea what the future holds do we ? Really ?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Huh? Saban was is and will always be a college guy. 1 or 2 years in the nfl doesnt all of a sudden make him an nfl guy. Lol

Well, he did have a few years on Belichick and Parcells' staff on the Giants and Browns, but I'd agree that he's a college guy.

There was a show where they had 3 former Dolphins players (I can't remember their names) and they were talking about how Saban treated them, even the 15+year NFL veterans, like college kids. They were like, "He's telling Zach Thomas and Kevin Carter, 10 year vets, 'DON'T YOU DARE LOOK ME IN THE EYE WHEN I TALK TO YOU. WHEN I TALK YOU KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE GROUND. UNDERSTAND?'"

That works in college, probably doesn't work so well on NFL players.

Status
Not open for further replies.