Potential DC for Next Year

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here's the thing with Roof. His first stint at GT during the GOL years had hits and misses. He went to Duke as DC and did well enough to get the HC nod when the job came open. He failed as a HC, but that has nothing to do with how good a DC he was. Since then, he has been a consistently good and occasionally very good DC. His DFEI was 53. Auburn 48 and 32. UCF 55. Penn State was 18. Upon coming to GT he turned in 61, 63, 52, 67, and then 41 in his final year here. He went to NCSU and had a DFEI of 56. 26th at App State. 121st at Vandy in 2020 during the season Derek Mason was canned remains his statistical outlier. Since joining Oklahoma he has moved them from 46th to 20th.

Roof is a very good DC, and with good recruiting, he would be a solid hire. Some very informed and reliable fonts have said that for all the positives the 3O had on the offense, it hampered the defense. If that is correct, then having a guy turn in middle of the road to top third defenses at GT during that time period speaks well of him.

THAT BEING SAID: the consensus among a vast majority of the fan base seems to be that he failed here. While it is my opinion that that consensus is not based on verifiable stats but rather the feeling that it was the D's fault we couldn't get over the 7 win hump routinely, the reality is that for a large portion of our fanbase, he is a nonstarter. While my opinion is he would be among the better candidates we are likely to have willing to come here for the money we are likely to have available to spend, we probably should be looking to find someone who the fans can unite behind.

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
I would expect that Roof, after being fired twice here, once while his son was a linebacker here, is not eager to leave one of the richest and highest-paying programs in the country to come back here for sentimental reasons.

As far as our current coaches, I regularly see someone single out a particular coach as doing a bad job. Often, it’s “play calling”. How are you evaluating who is a good coach and who isn’t?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I would expect that Roof, after being fired twice here, once while his son was a linebacker here, is not eager to leave one of the richest and highest-paying programs in the country to come back here for sentimental reasons.

As far as our current coaches, I regularly see someone single out a particular coach as doing a bad job. Often, it’s “play calling”. How are you evaluating who is a good coach and who isn’t?

Ted Roof wasn't fired either time at GT. When GOL left GT, he moved to Duke. In 2017, he left for NCSU on his own as well. When the media asked CPJ if he would retain Roof at the end of the 2017 season, he told the media to "ask Ted Roof" whether or not he'd be staying.

Now, there was a LOT of fan discontent and rumors that he'd left ahead of the axe, but they have never been substantiated and CPJs reaction indicates it wasn't a firing.

slugboy

Staff member
Ted Roof wasn't fired either time at GT. When GOL left GT, he moved to Duke. In 2017, he left for NCSU on his own as well. When the media asked CPJ if he would retain Roof at the end of the 2017 season, he told the media to "ask Ted Roof" whether or not he'd be staying.

Now, there was a LOT of fan discontent and rumors that he'd left ahead of the axe, but they have never been substantiated and CPJs reaction indicates it wasn't a firing.
I’m willing to amend to “left under strained circumstances”. He wasn’t feeling the love at the end of either stay.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like from a recruiting perspective it is a little easier to recruit for a 4 man front. Finding that key DT for a 3 man front is the hardest position to recruit for. We already have a lot of recruiting disadvantages lets not make it even harder on ourselves.

Hell, I would be OK with a 5 man front if it gets more pressure and helps stop the run better
THIS!!! Stop the run (1A) and rush/hurry the passer (1B). A 3 man front without at least 4 star players at 2 of the 3 spots that actually play like 4 star players, is vulnerable in a major way to the run, and no, the LBs can't compensate because big uglies are getting to them.
Our next DC should be someone that has sent a lot of DL to The League that kids want to play for.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
So far, I'd say the clamp-in replacement we have now is doing quite well, all things considered.
I also believe CK keeps things as is if we keep getting better. Just need a few more studs on defense and things are good.

Let me say this about Head Coaches. When it comes to winning football games coaches are going to try and get whoever they think that can help them win they don’t care what happened in the past unless a coach done something very stupid and that’s not the case with Ted Roof. CK can’t afford any mistakes he needs to win now and if Ted Rood would come back and CK thinks he can help win, Ted will be on the sidelines next year and CK doesn’t care what the fans think. CK loves the fans but he knows he has to win football games to keep his job and to keep us happy 😂

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I also believe CK keeps things as is if we keep getting better. Just need a few more studs on defense and things are good.
Don't know what the last three games will bring, but I saw the defense play with more confidence against Virginia than at any time all season, and maybe for a few seasons back. I like that.
I saw some swagger out there.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
How are you evaluating who is a good coach and who isn’t?
I have a system ;)

valentines day love GIF by Boomerang Official

1976jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
So did Key start a trend pulling defensive coordinator in midseason? Now USC west just fired their DC. Some claim it would help recruiting.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

Let me say this about Head Coaches. When it comes to winning football games coaches are going to try and get whoever they think that can help them win they don’t care what happened in the past unless a coach done something very stupid and that’s not the case with Ted Roof. CK can’t afford any mistakes he needs to win now and if Ted Rood would come back and CK thinks he can help win, Ted will be on the sidelines next year and CK doesn’t care what the fans think. CK loves the fans but he knows he has to win football games to keep his job and to keep us happy 😂
Ted Roof’s defense is underperforming at Oklahoma, under a head coach who is probably a way better defensive coordinator than Roof himself. Literally nobody wants Ted Roof to be our DC except for you, apparently… for some reason.