Potential DC for Next Year

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
No coach is leaving Oklahoma for GT as a lateral move. T Boon Pickens gave their athletic program hundreds of millions of dollars.

I was just thinking there maybe a LBposition coach or a "co co DC" who we might want . Could be thier DC .

As to college sthletic finances we are - looking at cash flow- not that much apart. You never know- Stillwater, oklahoma on the road to no where or maybe coach wants to get to SE.

As to they are giant $$

Let's head on over to The KKnight ommission Ncaa athletic data base - where revenue and expenses for ncaa sports are reported And get some numbers

First click custom report, then click" athletic revenue" , then click total revenue dont need details) . keep clicking for Ga tech and OSU, ckick 2019, 2022- then click GENERATE REPORT. GT 85MM AND OSU 95MM IN 2019.
GT 103 (?) MM iAND OSU 106MM IN 2022. So we look close.

But the big issue gas been GT was way behind in Revenuue """PER YEAR """"
during CPJ, but that has been getting better.

The big issue isfacility debt - where gt is the giant debtor 230MM and is making 12MM per year interest only payments.
Long term solution needed.

Boone and Chuck Watson ( kids went to hs together) gave big big $ to build stadium facilities and start a graduate business degree program. Both have names on buildings.

Currently we have the lowest paid head coach in ACC ( 2.8) so we are going to need to find a Batt or Buster type to be a DC.

Next week we play Clemson- thier OC makes 1.8MM. If iur defnse can play with them , we nay not need a DC.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Well, we have gone 3-1 since Sherrer was given the reins as DC and we have beaten Miami, UNC, and UVA, losing to BC when it is possible the players were looking ahead to UNC as they stated. And to me, they looked much better after the first series yesterday, tackling much improved. I'm not saying he is the answer as DC but we need to at least let the season play out before ruling him out. Personally speaking, with UGA being undefeated and having the talent they have, if we can go 5-1 with the loss to BC in the rest of his games as DC, Key should give Sherrer serious consideration.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Riley has never had a defense any place he's been.
We've not been able to recruit good LBs in last 5 years, need someone that is a really good evaluator of potential star LBs to help us find some. I agree with those that mentioned Efford as showing up- it is what I have seen last couple games or more, we need more like him.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well, we have gone 3-1 since Sherrer was given the reins as DC and we have beaten Miami, UNC, and UVA, losing to BC when it is possible the players were looking ahead to UNC as they stated. And to me, they looked much better after the first series yesterday, tackling much improved. I'm not saying he is the answer as DC but we need to at least let the season play out before ruling him out. Personally speaking, with UGA being undefeated and having the talent they have, if we can go 5-1 with the loss to BC in the rest of his games as DC, Key should give Sherrer serious consideration.
Be careful very careful this is what happen last year with Thacker, If there is a good one and we have the money don't past them up.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Be careful very careful this is what happen last year with Thacker, If there is a good one and we have the money don't past them up.
Agree - keep powder dry.

The defense has not made a sustained contribution to the winning. Against a not so dynamic uva, they showed they have talent. In this game, the DC has the freshman lb 44 , who is pretty small, getting in the approximate location to make a play. Trouble is our system, prepartion, or instructors make most of LB look way worse than NCST, BC, Louisville, Miami.

But we aren't doing anything till post 23 because its likely any good dc is headed to bowl

Its possible our acting DC can impress. * Then after w win the gator bowl we can give the staff a Christmas bonus)
Or if we are limp to the finjsh line, we can go shopping.
Like u said- getting a good DC will help sort things out

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Big difference this year though is Thacker was GC3's protégé and hire from Temple while Sherrer was hired by our coach.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Agree - keep powder dry.

The defense has not made a sustained contribution to the winning. Against a not so dynamic uva, they showed they have talent. In this game, the DC has the freshman lb 44 , who is pretty small, getting in the approximate location to make a play. Trouble is our system, prepartion, or instructors make most of LB look way worse than NCST, BC, Louisville, Miami.

But we aren't doing anything till post 23 because its likely any good dc is headed to bowl

Its possible our acting DC can impress. * Then after w win the gator bowl we can give the staff a Christmas bonus)
Or if we are limp to the finjsh line, we can go shopping.
Like u said- getting a good DC will help sort things out
44 is Efford- redshirt freshman, he was 6’2” 230 coming out of highschool

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Ted Roof left Penn State for Ga Tech and I believe he’d leave Oklahoma under the right conditions ….imo this is the right conditions because Ga Tech is on the rise and we would be able to recruit better athletes on defense.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Ted Roof left Penn State for Ga Tech and I believe he’d leave Oklahoma under the right conditions ….imo this is the right conditions because Ga Tech is on the rise and we would be able to recruit better athletes on defense.
Just stop. Ted is not getting called back here, we've run this experiment multiple times and it was not a success.

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree with you on a lot of things but I don't think Roof is the answer here.
Y’all me be right about Ted but if he’s got the players like he did at Penn St and Oklahoma you see how good he is. It’s going to be interesting to see how the season finishes and I’m hoping for 2 or 3 more wins and the defense keeps getting better and CK may not make a change. So far CK has made good decisions on Ga Tech football coaches and I’m quite confident he’ll make the right decision on who our DC will be. Brent Pry is another guy I’d like to get if he’s let go at VT that’s if a change is made.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oklahoma habitually recruits top ten classes and is ranked #75 in total defense this year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Y’all me be right about Ted but if he’s got the players like he did at Penn St and Oklahoma you see how good he is. It’s going to be interesting to see how the season finishes and I’m hoping for 2 or 3 more wins and the defense keeps getting better and CK may not make a change. So far CK has made good decisions on Ga Tech football coaches and I’m quite confident he’ll make the right decision on who our DC will be. Brent Pry is another guy I’d like to get if he’s let go at VT that’s if a change is made.
Pry will prob get another year or two