Postgame: ND 31-GT 13

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our inability to tackle cost us this game. We had numerous opportunities to stop them short of the 1st, only to watch them pick it up, plus 10 or 15, due to our lack of ability to put them on the ground. Their yards after contact has to be obscene. The other team's ability to hit quick crossing routes has also become a big problem.

Our special teams have turned into a complete disaster. CBK needs to figure this out, and fast. This is a joke.

A couple of running into the kicker calls should've been called on them, but weren't. Couple late hits out of bounds too.

Their coach is a punk. I don't know if Key shook his hand after, but I wouldn't have. Or, if I did, I would've told him to F off. I probably would've just gone to the locker room though.

Not much to do but move on, because that was a crap performance.
Our open field tackling was really bad. That and special teams were huge factors in our loss.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Frankly, the Syracuse coach wasn’t wrong, whiny as he made it. We aren’t going to out-physical many of the decent-to-better D’s we see. And yet we’ve made it more of our identity this year than last.
I thought we were going to play physical football after FSU, but sadly we're still not very tough.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think we all just saw what a real good defense looks like, and it wasn't ours. The difference was a stark - they covered receivers well, they were aware of and made plays on the ball in the air, they tackled extremely well in space, and they shut down the run. Our defense looked very amateur in comparison - we look like bumper cars out there they way we bounce off on attempted tackles. DBs outside of Burrell and Brooks played poorly - Harvey in particular got burned over and over.

Offensivley we obviously struggled to get anything going in the run game which is basically a guaranteed loss for us. I thought ZP played pretty well, especially early on, but there is only so much you can do when nobody can run and the WRs can't get open. He eventually started forcing throws to try and make a play and had some bad results from it - King did the same thing last year. Even with a healthy King I don't think we do much better or win, Notre Dame just flat outplayed us.

Special teams was an absolute disaster. They have been a liability in almost every game this season.

From where I was sitting the crowd looked terrible - didn't seem like more than 40k ish, and probably 50/50 Tech/ND though it was hard to tell because a lot of ND fans were wearing blue and gold. Empty seats everywhere, close to half the stadium from what i could guess. If we don't go into the ugag game next year with at least 8 wins, that stadium will be 80+% ugag fans.

I was frustrated by our play. I was frustrated that whoever was supposed to be updating stats on the screen apparently took a siesta from mid-2Q until the end of the 3Q. I was extremely frustrated by the family sitting in front of me where everyone but the daughter was wearing Tech gear, but they spent the whole game cheering for ND. who tf does that...

Good news is this game doesn't matter for much.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Our WR group, other than Malik and maybe Stockton, run fast in a straight line but cannot shake a DB well.
Stockton impresses me with how open he usually is when he gets thrown the ball. Rutherford gets little to no separation, and Singleton has yet to adjust to running a route thats not a screen or streak. To me that’s what puts our wide receivers behind the 8 ball is that they don’t run a route tree. They run and pass block, run curls, streaks, and bubble screens. The one slant to Jannah was absolutely beautiful and it’s high time we incorporate those kinds of plays into the playbook. It’s easy to key on an offense when you only have to cover about 5 routes.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
The play of the special teams was absolutely inexcusable. Offense and defense were awful. People saying “oh ND is really good “ or “oh our QB was hurt” are an indicator of why our program is an embarrassment. We played awful and looked awful. We have to do better and this team can do better which is why this is inexcusable. It’s not that we lost, but how we lost.
Exactly! And the coaching needs to get a lot better too.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Pyron is very talented. But he isn’t a winner. I learned that when Pyron took a slide instead of attempting to get a 1st down early in the game.

Give number 3 a chance. He may be a winner
Didn’t ZP win one or two state championships in Alabama? I don’t think it is fair to say he is not a winner. He played pretty well for guy riding the bench all year and then coming in for his first game against ND.

Bama

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think we all just saw what a real good defense looks like, and it wasn't ours. The difference was a stark - they covered receivers well, they were aware of and made plays on the ball in the air, they tackled extremely well in space, and they shut down the run. Our defense looked very amateur in comparison - we look like bumper cars out there they way we bounce off on attempted tackles. DBs outside of Burrell and Brooks played poorly - Harvey in particular got burned over and over.

Offensivley we obviously struggled to get anything going in the run game which is basically a guaranteed loss for us. I thought ZP played pretty well, especially early on, but there is only so much you can do when nobody can run and the WRs can't get open. He eventually started forcing throws to try and make a play and had some bad results from it - King did the same thing last year. Even with a healthy King I don't think we do much better or win, Notre Dame just flat outplayed us.

Special teams was an absolute disaster. They have been a liability in almost every game this season.

From where I was sitting the crowd looked terrible - didn't seem like more than 40k ish, and probably 50/50 Tech/ND though it was hard to tell because a lot of ND fans were wearing blue and gold. Empty seats everywhere, close to half the stadium from what i could guess. If we don't go into the ugag game next year with at least 8 wins, that stadium will be 80+% ugag fans.

I was frustrated by our play. I was frustrated that whoever was supposed to be updating stats on the screen apparently took a siesta from mid-2Q until the end of the 3Q. I was extremely frustrated by the family sitting in front of me where everyone but the daughter was wearing Tech gear, but they spent the whole game cheering for ND. who tf does that...

Good news is this game doesn't matter for much.
Generally agree. This game was always going to be an L. The O put up 333 total yards, but under 70 yards rushing, though 269 passing. Our OL was outmanned. Still, we mounted 4 scoring drives but ST screwed up two of them. Could easily have put up 20 points. W/o the Pick-6 they scored 24. The D got numerous stops, but the ST gave away two to fakes. Still held them to 24. Tackling was an issue at times.

So how do you grade all that? I give the O a C-, the D a C+, and the ST a flat out F.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Can we talk injuries and banged up we are, starting to get a little worried that half our starters may not finish the season and maybe some of our backups

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
The snaps looked high and had to be pulled down. Did we have a different snapper?
/
Eye level, hit Shanahan in the hands. Good snap, bad hold.

Shanahan has muffed a few punt snaps this year with his "Roberto Duran 'Hands of Stone.'"

A million years ago, if the substitution rules allowed it, our 4th or 5th string QB was our (IOW "my") holder & we worked together throughout the week during the time the offense was being put in on Monday-Wednesday. If sub rules (only 2 under normal circumstances) didn't allow, whichever QB was in the game held.

I see no reason why one of the walkon QBs or WRs couldn't do this instead of a guy who'd never played American football in anger in his life til he got to Atlanta. Sheesh.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Eye level, hit Shanahan in the hands. Good snap, bad hold.

Shanahan has muffed a few punt snaps this year with his "Roberto Duran 'Hands of Stone.'"

A million years ago, if the substitution rules allowed it, our 4th or 5th string QB was our (IOW "my") holder & we worked together throughout the week during the time the offense was being put in on Monday-Wednesday. If sub rules (only 2 under normal circumstances) didn't allow, whichever QB was in the game held.

I see no reason why one of the walkon QBs or WRs couldn't do this instead of a guy who'd never played American football in anger in his life til he got to Atlanta. Sheesh.
The first snap was high and could have been teed but it wasn’t. The second was very high and was teed sideways, I think. Need better hands there, I agree.

Both were bad snaps, though. That’s also part of the problem. I don’t know why. These days you can’t even cover a snapper. A long way from when you and I played.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Generally agree. This game was always going to be an L. The O put up 333 total yards, but under 70 yards rushing, though 269 passing. Our OL was outmanned. Still, we mounted 4 scoring drives but ST screwed up two of them. Could easily have put up 20 points. W/o the Pick-6 they scored 24. The D got numerous stops, but the ST gave away two to fakes. Still held them to 24. Tackling was an issue at times.

So how do you grade all that? I give the O a C-, the D a C+, and the ST a flat out F.
Yea, C C F sounds about right. Not a winning recipe.