#Postgame GTvFSU FSU 41-GT 16

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our defense is at least average this year. The fact that we have an offensive coordinator who chooses to run 3 plays in 85 seconds and then punt so our defense barely has time to grab a drink is straight garbage. The entire concept of the hurry up is to catch the defense in unprepared match ups and defensive coverages. But the way we run it the only team it hurts is us. It’s as if our coaches don’t understand ”why” they do it. Our entire system is just a plain Jane “Football for Dummies” lemming system. Zero creativity or thought. And how are we in year 4 of a system that uses tight ends and yet that position is a non factor. Its just weird what our program has become. But at least we found a kicker.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The defense played a whole game in the first half alone. The offense has to help. It’s physically and emotionally deflating for the defense.
They did help to start the second half. After an entire half time, a successful onside kick, and a successful offensive drive, FSU marched right down field like they did just about every other drive. While the offense wasn't helping, I don't think our defense had much of a chance today either way. We were outmatched.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't play pyron against the mutts
I agree with this completely.
He should be the #1 or 2 QB the next 3 games, but he should not play against UGA. We are not going to win that game no matter who plays QB, so don't waste Pyron's RS on that game.
If that means we have to play Gibson for 60 minutes and lose 70-0 i'm ok with that.

Defense was bad today. That is ok. They are better than last year, but still have quite some ways to go. Didn't force a single punt all day and the first fumble was a fluke that went our way (really wished Thomas could have taken it all the way though).
Offense was horrendous in the 1st half but pretty good in the second. Pyron throws a pretty ball and did a good job of keeping plays alive and making good throws that gave his receivers a chance. He's easily the best passer we have on the team.
Special Teams was the best unit for GT for the first time all year. Made a FG. perfect onside kick. All the punting was solid.

JacketFan137

Banned
Tech should file a lawsuit against Geoff. How is the backup kicker 9/9 and the starter under Geoff 2/6? Gibson was a mediocre QB in the MAC. How did he get a scholarship? At some point you have to wonder if some things aren't intentional.
idk gibson was a bit of a darling here for a while too. a lot of folks that still think stats like completion percentage matter were falling in love.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We had a game today? Dang. I didn't even set the dvr.

Oh My God Omg GIF by CBC

JacketFan137

Banned
1. Why did this happen? On a percentage basis, please place blame on (my take in parentheses):
  • The OL (40%)
  • OCCL (40%)
  • Inexperienced QB's (10%)
  • Other (10%)
2. Who hired OCCL? And in hindsight, was that a good move, or simply the best we could manage at the time all things considered?
chip long may have bit off more than he could chew coming here. i don’t think his plays or his system are bad (not good either) but he has been successful elsewhere. would be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to a massive systemic failure from top to bottom than blame him much.

at the end of the day this is still collins’ team

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Our entire system is just a plain Jane “Football for Dummies” lemming system. Zero creativity or thought.
So, we had a unique offense in the TO,
Now, we have a plain Jane "Football for Dummies" lemming system.
By process of elimination, we may have this offense thing figured two or three HC's from now. ;)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think it is sort of interesting to go back and look at the anonymous coaches comments and see how accurate they were.

"Honestly, it's almost impossible to see a way in which Geoff Collins survives this season."
Got that one right.

"Three years in, coaches are beginning to question what the plan was on offense. The transfer quarterback will be a better fit for the new scheme. Chip [Long] knows what he's doing, but it's a really bare cupboard."
Mostly right. Don't think the comment about Gibson is correct, but the comment about the bare cupboard sounds about right. Our RB's are not good enough to overcome a bad OL. Our receivers do not get separation consistently. Our TE's are mostly a non-factor. I see very little talent on offense right now.

I feel like Long is better organized and has a plan, but I don't think he plays to the strengths of his players well at all. (And he doesn't have a ton of talent to work with).

"They've recruited a bunch of guys that other staffs think are overrated. That's fine, you have differences in evaluations, but they aren't a development program either."
This feels on target as well. How many guys that Collins staff recruited have panned out. Alot of the talent we have on defense is coming from guys who transferred in 2 years ago. That's good, but we needed a higher hit rate on our recruiting. Also, development has looked poor.

"They had one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen last year, and all those guys are gone, so maybe that's a positive move? The bigger problem is that the guys up front who could help are gone, too, so they're going to need multiple unknowns to step up if they're going to do anything."
The new secondary is a big improvement over the old one. DL is ok, sort of average.

"The failure here has been recruiting. It's been the exact thing he made such a big deal about in the first place, recruiting Atlanta talent to stay in Atlanta. They're as much of a non-factor on legit talent now as they were under Paul Johnson."
Got this one right as well. Frankly, I don't think GT is ever going to be a big recruiting school - i've followed GT for 40 years and it never has been. There are systemic issues that i'm not sure can be completely resolved. Top 25-35 is probably the ceiling. GT has been most successful when it has brought in that Top 25-35 talent and then developed it. That doesn't mean you deemphasize recruiting or its not important, just that it is one of 3 legs you have to be good at and at GT the other 2 legs may be even more important.

Honestly, I think the comments have been pretty accurate.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here‘s the secret - you have two types of coaches, 1) the idealists (who truly want to find ways to win and love the details) and 2) the realists (who just want to get paid and mingle In the club).

Both can be successful. But the difference in my 40 plus years of watching college ball is that there is nothing worse than watching a realist just go thru the motions. That is where we are. Watching Long just give away a game in the first half yesterday by playing it safe (or as he said in Moneyball - I’m playing for future job interviews) was disgusting. We had the same thing with Nix. No creativity and no will to be creative. Just run the standard and when you get fired you’ll have plenty of jobs waiting.

It is what it is. Thankfully with every game on TV I can watch the Josh Heupels and Lane Kiffins who walk to their own beat and don’t run the lemming systems. Heupel reminds me of a young Paul Johnson. They are cut from the same mold. Different systems of course but you can tell Heupel is a deep thinker. He’s always 3 plays ahead and doesn’t allow his players to be lazy. Kiffen tweaks the standard spread with his route tree and formations that is just beautiful. He’s winning at Ole Miss which is hard to do. The problem D1 has is that once coaches who were once creative at lower levels get the big paychecks they just want to blend in to keep the checks coming. I don’t blame them but it‘s just boring garbage football.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Here‘s the secret - you have two types of coaches, 1) the idealists (who truly want to find ways to win and love the details) and 2) the realists (who just want to get paid and mingle In the club).

Both can be successful. But the difference in my 40 plus years of watching college ball is that there is nothing worse than watching a realist just go thru the motions. That is where we are. Watching Long just give away a game in the first half yesterday by playing it safe (or as he said in Moneyball - I’m playing for future job interviews) was disgusting. We had the same thing with Nix. No creativity and no will to be creative. Just run the standard and when you get fired you’ll have plenty of jobs waiting.

It is what it is. Thankfully with every game on TV I can watch the Josh Heupels and Lane Kiffins who walk to their own beat and don’t run the lemming systems. Heupel reminds me of a young Paul Johnson. They are cut from the same mold. Different systems of course but you can tell Heupel is a deep thinker. He’s always 3 plays ahead and doesn’t allow his players to be lazy. Kiffen tweaks the standard spread with his route tree and formations that is just beautiful. He’s winning at Ole Miss which is hard to do. The problem D1 has is that once coaches who were once creative at lower levels get the big paychecks they just want to blend in to keep the checks coming. I don’t blame them but it‘s just boring garbage football.
Yeah as the season goes on I get the feeling Chip Long is just mailing it in. So ready for this season to be over. I can’t believe we waited 8 months for this absolute crap show of a season.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Yeah as the season goes on I get the feeling Chip Long is just mailing it in. So ready for this season to be over. I can’t believe we waited 8 months for this absolute crap show of a season.
Yep, he will likely be a lower level OC again or analyst next season, not impressing anybody here so far.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
People scoff at the idea Collins set this program back a decade, but it takes a long time to win back stalwarts that have abandoned the program. That's if you ever get them back at all. The casual fans, they come and go but the real program supporters, the ones tht put their money where their mouth is take a long time to get back.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
He should be the #1 or 2 QB the next 3 games, but he should not play against UGA. We are not going to win that game no matter who plays QB, so don't waste Pyron's RS on that game.
If that means we have to play Gibson for 60 minutes and lose 70-0 i'm ok with that.
Also he would be likely to take a physical beating and possibly have his confidence shredded as well.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
The new secondary is a big improvement over the old one. DL is ok, sort of average.

DL transfers are frustrating…Jared Ivey, Jordan Domineck (both 4-star) and even a little Chico Bennett to rub salt in the wound.

Tillman is the one coach I would definitely be interested in rehiring.

My heart wants to say Key too, but the offensive line has been abysmal. Guess anyone can coach OL for 3 years under Saban with the talent Bama brings in. I knew the line was green this year, and I expected it to improve as the season progressed. It seemed to vs Pitt and Duke, but man the last to games the OL has looked horrible.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The problem D1 has is that once coaches who were once creative at lower levels get the big paychecks they just want to blend in to keep the checks coming. I don’t blame them but it‘s just boring garbage football.

I don't think that this is the case at all. That guys bust their tails to get a P5 HC job and then shut it down to collect checks and buyouts is a bit absurd. There are 65 of these jobs in the world. And you have to compete most of your life to even sniff one. For comparison, there are 450 players in the NBA. I think it more about normal distribution and the bell curve rather than motivation and intent. Only so many guys can be two or even three standard deviations on the plus side of the mean. It's like asking all the guys in the NBA to be Larry Bird. I guarantee the 12th guy on the worst team in the league (whom we have never heard of) would be a star in the ACC and Pastner would take him or her sight unseen. It's just statistics and nothing more.

The hard part is that NOBODY seems to know how to pick out the duds from the studs (they all come highly regarded as Paul used to say). Tennessee churned through how many guys to get their current guy?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Defense was bad today. That is ok. They are better than last year, but still have quite some ways to go. Didn't force a single punt all day and the first fumble was a fluke that went our way (really wished Thomas could have taken it all the way though).
Offense was horrendous in the 1st half but pretty good in the second. Pyron throws a pretty ball and did a good job of keeping plays alive and making good throws that gave his receivers a chance. He's easily the best passer we have on the team.
Special Teams was the best unit for GT for the first time all year. Made a FG. perfect onside kick. All the punting was solid.
Punting really was below average. Punted into the EZ from the FSU 37 for a net of 17 yards. Very bad, Punted 28 yards from inside our 20. Very bad. Punted one 43 yards on a line drive returned 20 yards for a net of 23 yards. Again bad. Place kicking was good.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Punting really was below average. Punted into the EZ from the FSU 37 for a net of 17 yards. Very bad, Punted 28 yards from inside our 20. Very bad. Punted one 43 yards on a line drive returned 20 yards for a net of 23 yards. Again bad. Place kicking was good.
The punter is kind of like the QB; I'd like to see what he could do with adequate blocking. It looks like he's just trying to make sure he gets it out of there since the early season blocks.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
They did help to start the second half. After an entire half time, a successful onside kick, and a successful offensive drive, FSU marched right down field like they did just about every other drive. While the offense wasn't helping, I don't think our defense had much of a chance today either way. We were outmatched.
They had too much speed and got some matchups that favored them. We got a little pressure but he had too much time to find his receivers. A DE trying to cover a RB was a total mismatch. We didn't tackle well in space but I will attribute that to the guys being tired by halftime.