#Postgame GTvFSU FSU 41-GT 16

slugboy

Staff member
Punting really was below average. Punted into the EZ from the FSU 37 for a net of 17 yards. Very bad, Punted 28 yards from inside our 20. Very bad. Punted one 43 yards on a line drive returned 20 yards for a net of 23 yards. Again bad. Place kicking was good.
There’s a 4th down calculator (NFL) that you can use. Our offense has been bad enough that you could see punting on 4th and 11 from the 36 according to the numbers. What makes it worse is that we had the ball on the 31 and we false-started on 4th and 6.

But I’m all for showing some guts and going for it. Even throw the ball for 5 yards and hope the receiver/RB can run for the rest. Punting into the end zone from the 36 does nothing for me.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
DL transfers are frustrating…Jared Ivey, Jordan Domineck (both 4-star) and even a little Chico Bennett to rub salt in the wound.

Tillman is the one coach I would definitely be interested in rehiring.

My heart wants to say Key too, but the offensive line has been abysmal. Guess anyone can coach OL for 3 years under Saban with the talent Bama brings in. I knew the line was green this year, and I expected it to improve as the season progressed. It seemed to vs Pitt and Duke, but man the last to games the OL has looked horrible.
There's a lot of difference taking a high talent guy and teaching him how to gain an edge compared to what we've got. We're getting larger kids with less God given talent or smaller talented kids who need to physicslly grow. Both you got to hope they're dedicated enough to excel by either putting in time to learn enough to compensate for lack of raw talent or putting enough time in S&C where they're not at a huge disadvantage. Bama does not have those challenges. A kid doesn't develop, they run him off, put him on medical and get another to work with. It was a fool's play to think that's the game we were going to play. In fact it's so laughable, what you've got now with the ridicule is completely expected. All it's going to take is a back to basics approach, the undesirable hard work method & eradicate all this easy street BS dreams of NFL players in the dozens beating on our doors to get in here.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think that this is the case at all. That guys bust their tails to get a P5 HC job and then shut it down to collect checks and buyouts is a bit absurd. There are 65 of these jobs in the world. And you have to compete most of your life to even sniff one. For comparison, there are 450 players in the NBA. I think it more about normal distribution and the bell curve rather than motivation and intent. Only so many guys can be two or even three standard deviations on the plus side of the mean. It's like asking all the guys in the NBA to be Larry Bird. I guarantee the 12th guy on the worst team in the league (whom we have never heard of) would be a star in the ACC and Pastner would take him or her sight unseen. It's just statistics and nothing more.

The hard part is that NOBODY seems to know how to pick out the duds from the studs (they all come highly regarded as Paul used to say). Tennessee churned through how many guys to get their current guy?
I hear you but I’m giving my observation from what I’ve seen. Look at these 65 jobs. If you remove the team logos you couldn’t tell the vast majority of the teams apart because they are all running lemming copy cat systems. And to your point once a coach gets one of those 65 spots he is going to do every thing to keep it because once hired the clock starts ticking on when you will be fired. The easiest way to not draw attention or criticism is to just blend in. We see it all the time where the guys who do their own thing get ridiculed the second they lose. Look at how the press treated Johnson. Compare that to how they treated the coaches at places like BC, NC State, Syracuse, Miami, FSU, Arkansas, etc who won less but because they ran the standard system they were left alone to go 6-6 or 7-5 every year. Well, GT is now part of the lemming club and it sure is glorious. What’s funny is a guy like Long will go down a level and probably tweak everything because no one will be watching and he’ll probably succeed. Then he’ll come back to P5 and go back to running the script once the spotlight is back.

And your Tennessee analogy is pretty good. They went the normal route of hiring lemmings who all failed but cashed in big time. It took a guy who does things out of the box to have gotten them going who came from outside of the SEC coaching ranks.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
FSU is a really good offensive team. Our offense was pitiful again. Leave any defense on the field for 35 minutes against a top 25(ish) offense and bad things will happen.
I think a lot of our D woes against FS were mismatches in talent (we were often a step short in coverage and tackling and lost the 50/50s). Attempting to cover RBs downfield with our DEs is a strategy blunder. We sub well on the Dline but I am sure our LBs and DBs tire the way our O goes three and out so much.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Look at how the press treated Johnson. Compare that to how they treated the coaches at places like BC, NC State, Syracuse, Miami, FSU, Arkansas, etc who won less but because they ran the standard system they were left alone to go 6-6 or 7-5 every year. Well, GT is now part of the lemming club and it sure is glorious. What’s funny is a guy like Long will go down a level and probably tweak everything because no one will be watching and he’ll probably succeed. Then he’ll come back to P5 and go back to running the script once the spotlight is back.
I think you have some bias that is leaking through. I don't think Johnson received any worse press than Gailey did and their overall records were pretty similar at the end of the day. Johnson's reception in the press was more based on his reaction to that side of his job moreso than his offensive system imo.

Also, I don't know how well the coaches were treated in those places you mentioned and I doubt many of us do. I do know this - I keep close tabs on only one other school besides GT and that is OSU (the one in Columbus, not Stillwater or Corvalis). I don't know how old you are but they had a guy there by the name of Earl Bruce. He won nearly 80% of his games as their coach but bc he took over after a legend and also bc he struggled against their most hated rival during his watch, he was crucified in the local media up there. In a way that no Tech coach, including our last one, has ever had to put up with. I guess bc of the ATL market and the presence of professional sports our media has been pretty tame on GT coaches no matter what sport (imo) compared to the media where the college IS the biggest game in the town.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
People scoff at the idea Collins set this program back a decade, but it takes a long time to win back stalwarts that have abandoned the program. That's if you ever get them back at all. The casual fans, they come and go but the real program supporters, the ones tht put their money where their mouth is take a long time to get back.
And it would take a home run pick of a coach to see season ticket sales rise even take a small bump.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
And it would take a home run pick of a coach to see season ticket sales rise even take a small bump.
That's a huge problem. I thought we'd lost about 10-12k in ticket sales per game, but it's probably closer to 15-17k. That's about a 5-6 year recovery if all goes well damn near every year.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The defense played a whole game in the first half alone. The offense has to help. It’s physically and emotionally deflating for the defense.
and they still gave up close to 300 yards in the second half, after a halftime and with the offense starting to play better, getting first downs and keeping them off the field.
Sorry, I don't buy any of these excuses for how poorly the defense played. You don't want to be on the field that long?
Make a damn stop.
Offense stunk
Defense stunk
Got the result we deserved.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think you have some bias that is leaking through. I don't think Johnson received any worse press than Gailey did and their overall records were pretty similar at the end of the day. Johnson's reception in the press was more based on his reaction to that side of his job moreso than his offensive system imo.

Also, I don't know how well the coaches were treated in those places you mentioned and I doubt many of us do. I do know this - I keep close tabs on only one other school besides GT and that is OSU (the one in Columbus, not Stillwater or Corvalis). I don't know how old you are but they had a guy there by the name of Earl Bruce. He won nearly 80% of his games as their coach but bc he took over after a legend and also bc he struggled against their most hated rival during his watch, he was crucified in the local media up there. In a way that no Tech coach, including our last one, has ever had to put up with. I guess bc of the ATL market and the presence of professional sports our media has been pretty tame on GT coaches no matter what sport (imo) compared to the media where the college IS the biggest game in the town.
I agree about Bruce and GT. Bruce couldn’t beat Michigan so his fate was sealed. But those two teams have been at different levels for decades. I agree GT coaches are treated tamely by the media but it’s only because we are an afterthought. When Johnson was winning and beating UGA you saw the Mark Bradley’s go after him hard. No one is going after GT because why would they?

JacketFan137

Banned
I agree about Bruce and GT. Bruce couldn’t beat Michigan so his fate was sealed. But those two teams have been at different levels for decades. I agree GT coaches are treated tamely by the media but it’s only because we are an afterthought. When Johnson was winning and beating UGA you saw the Mark Bradley’s go after him hard. No one is going after GT because why would they?
i remember far more scathing criticism of paul the years we got beat by uga by a lot. the years we won were not as you are describing

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
There’s a 4th down calculator (NFL) that you can use. Our offense has been bad enough that you could see punting on 4th and 11 from the 36 according to the numbers. What makes it worse is that we had the ball on the 31 and we false-started on 4th and 6.

But I’m all for showing some guts and going for it. Even throw the ball for 5 yards and hope the receiver/RB can run for the rest. Punting into the end zone from the 36 does nothing for me.
Or create an 'interference play' that is designed to get a DPI with an effective flop :)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I have a few unrequested thoughts about the game and atmosphere in the stadium:

1. Go to Doak next time we play FSU down there, seriously. They keep the pageantry of college football alive and have very cool traditions that I was excited to see firsthand. Something that I did not expect was their band playing our fight song as their “welcoming gift” to us before the game. Also, it’s a very beautiful stadium and I met some very friendly FSU fans that I was able to talk with throughout the game. I know some of their fans can rub the wrong way, but the ones I was with today were very cordial and kept things friendly throughout.

2. Zach Pyron is that guy and Zach Gibson is that same guy we saw last week. Gibson is just not that good and he proved that with only being given one drive in the whole game. Pyron is definitely a frosh, but the arm talent is there and so is the mobility. As long as Sims is out, nobody else should get snaps at QB unless the game is already decided. He is the QB of the future and I’m glad we finally got to see him today.

3. It’s not going to matter how good of a QB we have if our O-line can’t block. The second half was much better, but the first half was atrocious. I know FSU has a good d-line, but we couldn’t have blocked them even if they were average. This has to be the first thing the new coach addresses.

4. God Bless Nate McCollum. He is the reason we looked so good today. By far the offensive MVP of the game. He made plays that just made you stare in awe today.

5. The defense that showed up the past few weeks was non-existent today. Outside of two fumbles, they looked awful. BTW NEVER HAVE KEION WHITE COVER A RUNNING BACK EVER AGAIN. Why the heck are you putting him in man coverage?!?!?

6. Stupid penalties and the lack of a third down offense or defense killed us today. It seemed like every time we got something going offensively, a stupid penalty cost us. Same thing defensively. We had multiple chances to pin them deep and flip the field only to give up a dumb penalty or a long third down conversion.

7. The season ain’t over, we can still win a few more games, but both lines have to get better.

8. GO JACKETS!
No need to just highlight White (DE) in coverage. Earlier we were badly beaten but a pass too high saved a TD when DE Kennard was in coverage. At another time I saw DE Collins in coverage. FSU got wise and took advantage. Our poor strategy has been uncovered.

Golden Tornadoes

Jolly Good Fellow
No need to just highlight White (DE) in coverage. Earlier we were badly beaten but a pass too high saved a TD when DE Kennard was in coverage. At another time I saw DE Collins in coverage. FSU got wise and took advantage. Our poor strategy has been uncovered.
Yeah, I probably should I worded that better than what I did. The greater point I was trying to make is exactly what you just stated: stop putting D-linemen in man coverage. It creates too many mismatch opportunities that good teams will exploit like crazy. As poorly as I worded it, I was in no way trying to call out Keion White or throw stones at him, just highlighting a poor strategic decision by the coaches which does not give Keion the best chance of success.

slugboy

Staff member
Yeah, I probably should I worded that better than what I did. The greater point I was trying to make is exactly what you just stated: stop putting D-linemen in man coverage. It creates too many mismatch opportunities that good teams will exploit like crazy. As poorly as I worded it, I was in no way trying to call out Keion White or throw stones at him, just highlighting a poor strategic decision by the coaches which does not give Keion the best chance of success.
It's a zone blitz. CFB teams and NFL teams will both put a D Lineman in coverage because it beats putting no one in coverage. The DC doesn't expect the lineman to be in coverage for long--just long enough for the blitz to get to the QB. We didn't get to the QB fast enough. Sometimes it doesn't work, but we'd be fools never to zone blitz.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
It's a zone blitz. CFB teams and NFL teams will both put a D Lineman in coverage because it beats putting no one in coverage. The DC doesn't expect the lineman to be in coverage for long--just long enough for the blitz to get to the QB. We didn't get to the QB fast enough. Sometimes it doesn't work, but we'd be fools never to zone blitz.
Seemed like good scouting and planning by norvell. They were trying to hit the fire zone with wheel routes and finally connected.

Hell it was a staple of the Tenuta years, although it was a different game then. There were far more statues back there, vs guys like Travis that could evade the rush then get the ball downfield. We also disguised it better back then, but I guess that’s bread and butter vs occasional tool.
The Matt Ryan year we lost, they just went max protect and ran 2 man routes, which also worked.
Just like any other blitz, if you can’t land it, you open yourself up to a mismatch somewhere.

slugboy

Staff member
SP+ breakdown is in.
Short version for GT--our defense had been playing well, but our offense has been awful, but last Saturday our defense wasn't good either.
For UNC and Pitt, Pitt's a good team, but playing against UNC is gonna be a boat race and their offense didn't keep up.

1667309216425.png

1667309177877.png

1667309195790.png

And I know you're missing your QB NCST, but what the heck?

1667309256850.png

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here are the advanced stats offensive and defensive reviews from FromtheRumbleSeat.
Very little positive to look at and very few players on either side of the ball played well.

Tech’s offensive line has struggled in pass protection in the past two games — per SIS, Tech has allowed 12 sacks and pressure rates of 50.0% (vs UVA) and 36.1% (@ FSU), and what’s more concerning is that these numbers are coming off low blitz rates: FSU only brought an extra rusher on 22.2% of snaps, while UVA blitzed on 14.0% of snaps.

How is Tech’s OL doing on the ground? Well, things aren’t much better: per SIS, Tech rushers averaged 0.2 yards before contact versus UVA and posted an even lower 0.0 mark at FSU. The Cavaliers stuffed Tech on 27.0% of rushes last week, while the Seminoles did the same on 36.7% of rushes on Saturday.

Georgia Tech suffered its first thorough beatdown under Brent Key amidst quarterback uncertainty and disappointing play across the board. The offense was about as hapless as we expected, but the defense was much worse than it had shown in recent weeks. Georgia Tech benefitted from about 7.5 points of turnover luck, scored a meaningless touchdown with no time left, and still lost by 25.

This was Georgia Tech’s worst defensive showing of the season against the pass and perhaps the worst overall. Poor tackling was a point of emphasis after the game, and the numbers back that up. PFF graded GT’s tackling at 28.7 against the Seminoles; the previous season low was 55.3.

On a down to down basis, this was Georgia Tech’s second worst rushing defense game of the season, ahead of only Ole Miss. As mentioned above, the EPA/rush number is extremely misleading because of the two costly fumbles by FSU, including one that included a long return by Charlie Thomas. Without those two plays, FSU’s EPA/rush would have been more more like 0.25, which is about an 80th percentile performance. The opportunity rate of 57% (percentage of runs that gained four or more yards) tells the much truer story; that’s a 99th percentile performance from the FSU backs in that category. Georgia Tech also stuffed only 5% of Seminole runs,