#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This game was very simple. Our OL just couldn’t block the Cavaliers’ defensive linemen.

If you can’t run the ball, you lose.

Oh well. Back to work.

Offensive scheme problem with the players and coaches and QBs we have (been proved over and over since Johnson).

kalld12

Banned
Disagree. The screen we missed on was a potential TD. We missed open guys downfield multiple times, whether through bad throws or interference. We had WR's dropping critical passes. The plays were there, we didn't make them. That ain't on the playcalling.
We didn’t watch the same game…simple as that! We’re you at the game?

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
It is painfully obvious to me that after 3 1/2+ years of running this so called NFL offense that we CANNOT run it. Is it the players or coaches or both? WE need a scheme that our players can learn and execute and our coaches can coach. This we are trying is a disaster (look at the offensive data) and we have proved over and over that we cannot do it. Time for some simplification and creativity.
I think it comes from coaches who were awful coaching players who weren’t very good

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
You do miss 100% of the shots you don't take, and the end of the game is the time to take any shot you've got.

I think we tell the players "how you do anything is how you do everything". In that regard, against Pitt, when we punted at the Pitt 40 was almost as bad; it might be worse, because it was the head coach making a bad decision, and that's teaching everyone how to make a bad decision. Every down is a rehearsal for making the right decisions, giving yourself a chance to win. The way the game ended was the cherry on top, we had so many screw ups throughout the game.

I also wonder what we practiced over the last 10 days before last night. That was a discombobulated performance on offense last night, starting on the first series where we turned a 3rd and 1 to a 3rd and 6. Attention to detail and doing the right thing were missing last night.

This OC and the previous OC just do not have "get the first down" mentality. Play calling seems disjointed from the down and distance and position on the field. Example: We are on the 10 yard line with third down and one yard to go needing a TD to tie. We call a pass play with a backup QB and our chances for success are way below 50%. If we run for the first down we have 5 or 6 chances to get 10 yards and a TD. It is critical that we develop a way to make a yard running the ball when we need it. Absolutely critical and forever it seems we cannot coach it or execute it (not to mention not having the right personnel in the game)

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This OC and the previous OC just do not have "get the first down" mentality. Play calling seems disjointed from the down and distance and position on the field. Example: We are on the 10 yard line with third down and one yard to go needing a TD to tie. We call a pass play with a backup QB and our chances for success are way below 50%. If we run for the first down we have 5 or 6 chances to get 10 yards and a TD. It is critical that we develop a way to make a yard running the ball when we need it. Absolutely critical and forever it seems we cannot coach it or execute it (not to mention not having the right personnel in the game)
I've often had the same thought about the play calling with respect to down and distance. However, I don't always see the nuances that go into what may be the best situational call. For example, if the other team's defense is stacking the box and has successfully and repeatedly stuffed the run, your best play may not be a running play.
The TV announcers said on several occasions that Long was calling good plays but we were simply failing to execute them, which mirrors exactly what Gibson said in his post-game interview.
I mean, if there is absolutely nothing in the playbook that is working, which play do you call?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Misdirection requires someone to hold a block for a second or two while the play develops. We tried (and couldn't execute) screens. We had one open for a long play, maybe a TD. Did we drop it or miss the throw - I don't remember. I don't know why we were mostly lining up Gibson under center. Truthfully, that's the go-to formation if you need to run the ball, so maybe we were trying to use play action. Unfortunately, it wasn't working.

The other thing I saw with Gibson was a reluctance to pull the trigger. People were open, but maybe not "open enough" for him to cut it loose. I've seen the same thing with Sims, time and time again. There are guys who have learned to throw on anticipation, and there are guys who can't cut it loose until they see the WR running free. We seem to have the second type of guy. The first type is pretty rare, but our guys may be on the wrong side of the bell curve, even for the ones who need to watch a guy come open before releasing the ball.

You are right about waiting for the receiver to be open. Look at many of our catches. The receiver has to slow, jump, or squat to catch the ball. This gives the DB time to close to either tackle us with no yardage after catch or to bat the ball away or intercept. Exception is throws to McCollum who often catches it in stride. We are not getting P5 caliber passes with any consistency from anybody on our roster.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I've often had the same thought about the play calling with respect to down and distance. However, I don't always see the nuances that go into what may be the best situational call. For example, if the other team's defense is stacking the box and has successfully and repeatedly stuffed the run, your best play may not be a running play.
The TV announcers said on several occasions that Long was calling good plays but we were simply failing to execute them, which mirrors exactly what Gibson said in his post-game interview.
I mean, if there is absolutely nothing in the playbook that is working, which play do you
Good coaching starts with good teaching. Teach the kids to execute the plays. Then when you call them in a game maybe they will execute them.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I mean, if there is absolutely nothing in the playbook that is working, which play do you call?
My buddy used to scream from the student section, "Put in the touchdown play!"

We don't call that one often enough.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
It should strike a nerve. People are killing a backup for playing poorly behind an OL that wasn't helping him at all. That ain't right.
I'm hopeful the error becomes a growing experience for him. It's not so much what he did as what he does next that will be more defining for him. It was an ugly team performance, Gibson just put a cherry on a sour sundae.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No way Gibson is allowed to audible. If they stack the box and an inside play is called, it will likely get stuffed. Long may have figured they would do that and not throw in that situation. Just weren't good enough to execute. Breakdowns all over the place and he is not a scrambling type QB.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
From previous experiences, there was always a heck of a lot of fun prior to suffering from a hangover. If there is indeed a looming hangover, this is the first time the preceding events were miserable too. ;)
Someone told me when I was at Tech that it was the only top-rated binge drinking school that wasn't also a top-rated party school - so you got the hangover but no fun before it, just drinking to forget your exams... 🤣

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just hope that all of the guys on here who are criticizing the players and coaches are at least making the commitment to be in BDS for the games. No idea either way, but I hope you are.