#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

Jacket0323

Jolly Good Fellow
I am sorry for the rant, but I woke up this morning and I am still pissed about last night's game.

I will not mince words. That performance is a fireable offense for everyone on the offensive staff including our head coach. There is nothing short of winning out that should save their jobs. Losing like we did to one of the worst teams in P5 on a night home game is inexcusable.

Where to start? How about making practice close to games. Well, so much for that. Unless our offense practices by standing around and crapping their pants for a few hours, we obviously do not practice like the games, because that is all they did last night.

Also, what happened to holding people accountable, both players and coaches. Why were players who made major gaffes allowed to continue to make more harmful mistakes? I hate to single one player out, but I will. A receiver made a low effort attempt to run the ball on a screen on second down that left us third and short. He then immediately drops the third down pass to force us to punt. The very next drive he is right back on the field. So, much for accountability. Of course, on fourth down late in the game, he then drops another pass which costs us even more, but who cares at that point.

As for the OL, do we teach them anything? They do nothing well. They cannot run block. They cannot pass block. They cannot hold their blocks for any length of time. I swear they would be just as effective if they just dropped on their backs like turtles at the snap and tried to distract the defense instead of blocking them.

Which brings me to my next gripe the play calling. For the love of God, can we please stop running our small RB right into a stacked box when OL does not block anyone? How about trying to seal an edge and running to the outside? Otherwise, bring in your bigger backs to run between tackles.

Can we also please stop running screen passes to our receivers where our smallest, quickest and most agile receiver is blocking and our larger, slower, and less agile receiver catches and runs. Just plain stupidity. Also, I thought Long was great at installing a short to medium passing game where backs and tight ends are instrumental. What happened to all the short routes for our receivers and tight ends to take the pressure off the QBs and give the line a chance to block? Why are our routes downfield and take time to develop? We do not give our team a chance to succeed and constantly put people in a position to fail.

I am sorry, again, for the rant, but that performance was enraging. It was worse. It was criminal to perform that bad against a defense that is not very good. The punishment should be that every coach is banned from coaching at the college level and is regulated to coaching high school football for the rest of their lives like Pat Nix.

This season cannot end soon enough. It is a shame that defensive staff will also most likely be replaced due to this disaster of an offensive coaching staff.

As for our next coach, my wish is Chadwell, BOB, or Mullen. I am sorry, but Key blew his only chance last night by not having this team prepared to play.
No on all 3 of your candidates

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I sat there the entire second half and kept thinking about how awful our third string QB must be not to get in the game at all. Or do we even have a third string QB?????

OTOH, it's nice to have a good defense. We are back to our usual norm after the last 3 years. Good on one only side of the ball at a time. Back to the days of Johnson and Gailey. I guess that is a step in the right direction.

Brooks is a baller in the secondary.
I think Gibson being first Qb off the bench is more due to his prior experience even if it was at G5 level and Pyron being True fresh. I wonder what the staffs thinking will be going forward after seeing Gibson albeit being behind maybe the worst oline I can remember.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I think Gibson being first Qb off the bench is more due to his prior experience even if it was at G5 level and Pyron being True fresh. I wonder what the staffs thinking will be going forward after seeing Gibson albeit being behind maybe the worst oline I can remember.
They cannot put Gibson out there even if he is the most physically talented QB left. Who on the Team wants to play with someone that gives up? I wouldn't want the kid on the field with me. I'd be questioning every time he puled the oppussom move, threw the ball away, failed to run when he had a chance or slid early, ran out of bounds to avoid contact. There's some things you cannot do & unfortunately he did one of them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I said after the Duke win that we would either blow Virginia out or revert to the mean, while indicating that the next two games would tell us if Key was our man or not. Well, we reverted to the mean and we have 50% of our answer on whether or not Key is our man.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Is an “uncatchable ball” still a factor in deciding whether or not PI is enforceable? I noticed on the big screen replays in the stadium where at least one, if not two, balls were uncatchable when PI may have been otherwise callable.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That last play was so pathetic. Virginia only had a three man rush and they still managed to flush him to his left. All he had to do was step up two steps in the pocket then run to his right and he had 5 acres of green space.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And, I don’t know why this strikes a nerve with me, but can we quit making Gibson the sacrificial goat for all the dysfunction we have seen for the last four years?

Sheesh, the program is a mess. Not the best atmosphere for developing talent along the offensive line, running backs and wide receivers, let alone the care and feeding of QBs.

It should strike a nerve. People are killing a backup for playing poorly behind an OL that wasn't helping him at all. That ain't right.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
And, I don’t know why this strikes a nerve with me, but can we quit making Gibson the sacrificial goat for all the dysfunction we have seen for the last four years?

Sheesh, the program is a mess. Not the best atmosphere for developing talent along the offensive line, running backs and wide receivers, let alone the care and feeding of QBs.
I totally agree with you 1000%. You are not going to solve these problems over night. Our fan base. Are more worried about what uniform are worn or the colors of the uniforms. There’s three or more years of bad recruiting and bad coaching that needs to be corrected

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It should strike a nerve. People are killing a backup for playing poorly behind an OL that wasn't helping him at all. That ain't right.
He was billed as someone that would be a capable back up behind Sims because we ran off our back up. Phumanchu was billed as someone that was going to compete with Sims for the starting job, push him. Pyron was billed as a very good 4 star out of Bama that has great talent.

We got lied to.

Then we had the post-game comments. Makes the reluctance to run, the panicky throwing, the curling up on the ground to avoid a sack hit all come together.

Maybe that’s unfair, but it is what happened. It’s entirely likely the coaches are saving redshirt years on the other 2 but damn put your best players on the field. NIL makes the 5 year plan a farce. We’re like NFL free agency except every player is a free agent.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Are we still excited for football or are we down again? Seems the ho-hum is back. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted.

It’s effort to even watch college gameday anymore. Just a slap in the face to see what it’s like to cheer for a winning team lol

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
One of the worst GT games I have ever seen. Jeff Sims leaving was a monumental blow. Defense played great.

D played great at times but still had some bad tackling, not much pass rush (no sacks), and got a lot of help from UVA with dropped passes, bad passes, turnovers, and missed kicks. If UVA plays a clean game our D gives up as much as 40 (since our O was so bad with all the sacks and three and outs).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I'd hoped the OL was turning the corner after Duke. But UV's front 7 destroyed us.

It is painfully obvious to me that after 3 1/2+ years of running this so called NFL offense that we CANNOT run it. Is it the players or coaches or both? WE need a scheme that our players can learn and execute and our coaches can coach. This we are trying is a disaster (look at the offensive data) and we have proved over and over that we cannot do it. Time for some simplification and creativity.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
And the 3rd and two call that lead to a sack on the last drive

The third and one on the 10 was worse.
Cinderella Story: Denied.

Backup qb comes in with 2 snaps on offense even though we lost two blowouts. Deer in headlights. Took 7+ sacks, some almost untouched; some after holding the ball for 6 seconds. Made bad throws. His decent throws were dropped. Not ready, and that’s on the staff, both previous and current. Clamped on a bad zone read and gave them the ball on the 6. At one point was 0-11 in a row. Tough game, and if Jeff is unavailable for a while he’s got a long way to go.

Unable to run the ball without a 220 lb mini Vince young at QB. Throw long high difficulty passes in third down and short because we can’t run the ball. The reason that works is because the defense mostly thinks you will run. We do not have that element of surprise.

Hats off to the defense. Our offense had negative yardage until the last drive for the second half. The fact it ended one score down INCLUDING a D score on our side is ridiculous, and a testament to the game they played. Uva isn’t good on offense but to face that many short fields and give up 3 points is amazing. I wish coach Thack luck at his next stop. Stay away from GC young man, I think youre ready to go your own way.

The focus should be on getting better for next week for the team, and getting Gibson game ready or finding out if Pyron or Taisun want to play. Hopefully short term for Jeff, but you have to plan for it to be longer.

J Batt and Co. can now focus on external candidates and find us the best coach we can get.

We obviously can do better with Sims but even in this game he was not effective for 1 2/3 quarters. Our O is bottom 1/3 and has been for 3 1/2+ years trying to run a "NFL" scheme without the players or coaches to do it. Time for something our players and coaches can do.

GTjunkie

Jolly Good Fellow
It is painfully obvious to me that after 3 1/2+ years of running this so called NFL offense that we CANNOT run it. Is it the players or coaches or both? WE need a scheme that our players can learn and execute and our coaches can coach. This we are trying is a disaster (look at the offensive data) and we have proved over and over that we cannot do it. Time for some simplification and creativity.
Gimme your top 3, GT QB's, that went to the NFL and had success.

All time GT QB's