#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
And, I don’t know why this strikes a nerve with me, but can we quit making Gibson the sacrificial goat for all the dysfunction we have seen for the last four years?

Sheesh, the program is a mess. Not the best atmosphere for developing talent along the offensive line, running backs and wide receivers, let alone the care and feeding of QBs.
He didn't play well at all but he definitely isn't the only one to blame for the terrible offense the majority of the game. However, the last play is all on him and is inexcusable. To top it off in the presser he basically tried to justify giving up on the game and then didn't even own up to it except to pretty much say the coaches told me I should have thrown it but whatever. A player with that mentality should never be running an offense especially at this level. Key said he wants players that "try to win" and with what Gibson showed Saturday, he is not that player.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
He didn't play well at all but he definitely isn't the only one to blame for the terrible offense the majority of the game. However, the last play is all on him and is inexcusable. To top it off in the presser he basically tried to justify giving up on the game and then didn't even own up to it except to pretty much say the coaches told me I should have thrown it but whatever. A player with that mentality should never be running an offense especially at this level. Key said he wants players that "try to win" and with what Gibson showed Saturday, he is not that player.
Gibson has put Key in a bad spot now too. How does Key play Gibson moving forward? Not only with what he did on the field, but he went further and said it - effectively removing any "benefit of doubt". How does Key ask these kids to trust him if he doesn't hold Gibson accountable?

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
I sat there the entire second half and kept thinking about how awful our third string QB must be not to get in the game at all. Or do we even have a third string QB?????

OTOH, it's nice to have a good defense. We are back to our usual norm after the last 3 years. Good on one only side of the ball at a time. Back to the days of Johnson and Gailey. I guess that is a step in the right direction.

Brooks is a baller in the secondary.
I must have missed it but what happened to that QB transfer from Clemson (Phumanchu - sp?) as I recall reports of him pressing Sims for playing time?

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
It starts with the offensive line. A good OL and Sims would look like an all conference QB.
This - the Oline was the clear weakness of the team coming into the season. They are the clear primary reason for the Offensive ineptitude in this game - we had no running game tonight and pass blocking was also poor. Most likely a bunch of sub-60 PFF scores (ie not doing your job) once again for our Olinemen.
Makes our play calling, running backs and QB all look bad as we can't execute anything with this kind of Oline performance. As many noted before the season started, if our Oline doesn't develop/mature quickly, we will be fortunate to get more than 3-4 Wins yet again. They are not developing/maturing quickly...

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
How is admitting what he did and acknowledging it was a bad look not owning up to it?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How is admitting what he did and acknowledging it was a bad look not owning up to it?
I don’t understand either.

All I can figure is, as I’ve said more than once, the fan base has exhausted all patience with this team. Sims was able to get by for years with moments where he didn’t seem to be giving his all, drug the team down with poor play, and was always going to eventually show us what he could do. But he never fulfilled that promise and never carried the team. It will be a long time before we give that much leash to QB again.

Who knows if Gibson could ever develop. I suppose an equal experiment would be to give him three years but I think we are done with that approach for the foreseeable future. So, unless we find a QB who can be instantly successful, and come in and turn the season around, I think we are now as a fan base officially all out of QBs for this team.

Perhaps there is another approach with cooler heads and a wiser fan base but….

Last edited:

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Gibson has put Key in a bad spot now too. How does Key play Gibson moving forward? Not only with what he did on the field, but he went further and said it - effectively removing any "benefit of doubt". How does Key ask these kids to trust him if he doesn't hold Gibson accountable?
I suspect if Gibson starts the next game, it's because the accounting took place in the locker room. The players will hold Gibson accountable for his play.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Hasn't been a hallmark of our locker room the last 3 years.
Of course you’re right and of course that has to change. It would seem that it already has, to some degree. It’s going to take a little longer than 3 weeks to undo what has been done.
I feel a lot better about today’s staff handling the attitudes, egos, and accountability aspects of things, though.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I had rather play Pyron next (4 games or until Sims gets back) and make a QB decision for UGA then.
How has Pyron looked in practice? What have you seen that you especially like. Oh right, nothing.

Gibson actually started throwing decent passes late in the game. He got no help from his receivers. Carter drop and WR lining up on the LOS negating Leonard's big gain.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Hasn't been a hallmark of our locker room the last 3 years.
I've got nothing on this, but I'm hopeful the change in tenor in the HC seat would empower the right players to be more vocal for internal discussions. Captains should be captains in the locker room

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
How has Pyron looked in practice? What have you seen that you especially like. Oh right, nothing.

Gibson actually started throwing decent passes late in the game. He got no help from his receivers. Carter drop and WR lining up on the LOS negating Leonard's big gain.

Pyron has never quit on the team. Until he does I would rather see him play. I will never watch another Gibson lead GT game. I don't watch quitters.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Pyron has never quit on the team. Until he does I would rather see him play. I will never watch another Gibson lead GT game. I don't watch quitters.
One bad play does not make him a bad player. Was is stupid, sure, he should have just heaved it down field, at worst its intercepted and does not change the games outcome. Still it's one play. On to FSU. If Pryon is the best player in practice he will play.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
One bad play does not make him a bad player. Was is stupid, sure, he should have just heaved it down field, at worst its intercepted and does not change the games outcome. Still it's one play. On to FSU. If Pryon is the best player in practice he will play.

Yea, I find it funny that a lot of people act like we were poised to score or something. Was it a bad play? Absolutely. But did anyone who watched the previous 8-10 drives think we were likely to score a TD in 20ish seconds?

GT33

Helluva Engineer
Unless you have personal friends on the team or in the locker room, NO ONE on this message board knows that.
Kid brings home an F on an exam. I don’t have to have 24 hr a day surveillance on him to know he didn’t study. I’m not that gullible.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer

No one play doesn't. His self admission that he quit means he is a quitter.