#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
OCCL is horrible. Should've seen it coming being an OC at ND and getting fired and your best job is at Tulane? Glad we got him here in a 2year contract. I dont care if its the Gold Rush Dance Team or the Goldfellas, going SEVEN 3 and outs in a row is a fireable offense with cause. Shouldn't matter who is or isn't playing.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
At about 1:20 of the postgame interview, IHCBK says the offense was "one-dimensional".

Now, is it just me, or is he calling out OCCL??? :oops:
As well he should. It was a piss poor offense and the OC owns that. From preparation to execution to play calling, this was a piss poor performance by the O. The D continued to give us a chance, and the O couldn't muster anything...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
OCCL is horrible. Should've seen it coming being an OC at ND and getting fired and your best job is at Tulane? Glad we got him here in a 2year contract. I dont care if its the Gold Rush Dance Team or the Goldfellas, going SEVEN 3 and outs in a row is a fireable offense with cause. Shouldn't matter who is or isn't playing.
hot take- I think Patenaude (Or whatever) was actually a better OC than Long

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Gibson looked like a square peg that we were desperately trying to force into a round hole. And the hole was way too big. He doesn't look suited to the plays that were called. Our OL sucks, which makes any play called look bad
I think our entire offense looks like a square peg we are forcing into a round hole. We just don't have the talent. Even in the 3 Ws, our O was pretty awful. I realize we had a backup in for a large portion of this game, but 3 points against the worst team in the league? not even 100 yds rushing? Even with a bad QB you should be able to run the ball!

I know everyone thinks D played well - I did not. I thought they made some plays, but overall, UVA is the one that stopped the bleeding for us over and over again. Last week the DBs were ALL OVER Duke receivers. They played lights out, and it showed. This week, open receivers were a big issue. Lots of drops and bad passes saved us. #19 on UVA ran all over us when he caught the ball. Even the dropped ball in the end zone our DB was 3 steps back.

This was poor football on both sides of the game. UVA looked as bad as we did. If I didn't care so much, I would have laughed at how awful the entire game was.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure we have many good options to improve this year....

One wonders about the Clemson transfer...if he couldn't get on the field last night, exactly what is the problem there? As fans we don't know, but it surely makes one wonder.

It is hard for me to evaluate OC Long's play calling when it was pretty obvious to me we had many players who simply weren't executing. There were some play calls that looked good to me but weren't executed which seemed to throw off entire series (almost all were short passes).

But we still reverted last night to GT Collins Version 1.0, in that we made many dumb mistakes and penalties that just killed our chances. Have a great pass to the tight end called back by a dumb mis-alignment penalty. Then get a PI call (finally!) only to have the receiver negate it with a facemask call. It was pretty obvious all night long that UVa expected us to try to run the ball, and we did try and we failed miserably. That made us one dimensional (we had to pass) and it is so much easier to defend a one dimensional offense.

Nevertheless, I do agree that the calls on 3rd and 1 and 3rd and 2 to pass were...head scratchers.

It looks like it will be another sad year on the Flats. If Sims injury did not respond after 10 days off (and it was obvious from the beginning that they took the QB run out of the game plan to try to keep him from getting injured again...but that didn't work)...then we either have a hobbled Sims at QB or....well, someone else. Either way we will be lucky to score 20 points against anyone the rest of the way.

I am not smart enough to know whether our problems are just that the talent level is too poor to compete, or if the coaching is too poor. All I know is what I saw last night was a continuation of not being acceptable GT football.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I know everyone thinks D played well - I did not. I thought they made some plays, but overall, UVA is the one that stopped the bleeding for us over and over again. Last week the DBs were ALL OVER Duke receivers. They played lights out, and it showed. This week, open receivers were a big issue. Lots of drops and bad passes saved us. #19 on UVA ran all over us when he caught the ball. Even the dropped ball in the end zone our DB was 3 steps back.

This was poor football on both sides of the game. UVA looked as bad as we did. If I didn't care so much, I would have laughed at how awful the entire game was.
I have to disagree on the defense they gave up 16 points that should have been good for a win. If Sims was limited on what he could have done before the game than the blame falls on Long. 1 1/2 weeks he should have had his backup qb get more practice time.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I can’t quite understand why our OC doesn’t modify our passing game to something that can actually have a prayer to work with such a bad OL. 3 second drops, short quick passes- pump & dump, West Coast offense style

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Remember Sims was listed as day to day till about Tuesday this week. I honestly think our backup qbs haven't had enough in game experience yet. Sims rarely has been out this season till now.
But we know now also why our coaches felt Sims was the best option

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry for the rant, but I woke up this morning and I am still pissed about last night's game.

I will not mince words. That performance is a fireable offense for everyone on the offensive staff including our head coach. There is nothing short of winning out that should save their jobs. Losing like we did to one of the worst teams in P5 on a night home game is inexcusable.

Where to start? How about making practice close to games. Well, so much for that. Unless our offense practices by standing around and crapping their pants for a few hours, we obviously do not practice like the games, because that is all they did last night.

Also, what happened to holding people accountable, both players and coaches. Why were players who made major gaffes allowed to continue to make more harmful mistakes? I hate to single one player out, but I will. A receiver made a low effort attempt to run the ball on a screen on second down that left us third and short. He then immediately drops the third down pass to force us to punt. The very next drive he is right back on the field. So, much for accountability. Of course, on fourth down late in the game, he then drops another pass which costs us even more, but who cares at that point.

As for the OL, do we teach them anything? They do nothing well. They cannot run block. They cannot pass block. They cannot hold their blocks for any length of time. I swear they would be just as effective if they just dropped on their backs like turtles at the snap and tried to distract the defense instead of blocking them.

Which brings me to my next gripe the play calling. For the love of God, can we please stop running our small RB right into a stacked box when OL does not block anyone? How about trying to seal an edge and running to the outside? Otherwise, bring in your bigger backs to run between tackles.

Can we also please stop running screen passes to our receivers where our smallest, quickest and most agile receiver is blocking and our larger, slower, and less agile receiver catches and runs. Just plain stupidity. Also, I thought Long was great at installing a short to medium passing game where backs and tight ends are instrumental. What happened to all the short routes for our receivers and tight ends to take the pressure off the QBs and give the line a chance to block? Why are our routes downfield and take time to develop? We do not give our team a chance to succeed and constantly put people in a position to fail.

I am sorry, again, for the rant, but that performance was enraging. It was worse. It was criminal to perform that bad against a defense that is not very good. The punishment should be that every coach is banned from coaching at the college level and is regulated to coaching high school football for the rest of their lives like Pat Nix.

This season cannot end soon enough. It is a shame that defensive staff will also most likely be replaced due to this disaster of an offensive coaching staff.

As for our next coach, my wish is Chadwell, BOB, or Mullen. I am sorry, but Key blew his only chance last night by not having this team prepared to play.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I watched the game and it was "meh". We could have won. Should have won.

I don't care how good the OC is, if players don't catch the ball, you aren't going to move the offense.

We were on a two-win streak and hoping for a third. No need to jump off a building, it's never as good as it seems or as bad.

I read last night that of the $8.6 Billion in economic impact that the University System of Georgia has in the State, $4.2 Billion is from Tech. That, historically, is where our leadership focus has been. Battleships don't turn around on a dime, so while I'm disappointed, I'm optimistic. Keep the faith and don't make rash decisions when you're pissed.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
I watched the game and it was "meh". We could have won. Should have won.

I don't care how good the OC is, if players don't catch the ball, you aren't going to move the offense.

We were on a two-win streak and hoping for a third. No need to jump off a building, it's never as good as it seems or as bad.

I read last night that of the $8.6 Billion in economic impact that the University System of Georgia has in the State, $4.2 Billion is from Tech. That, historically, is where our leadership focus has been. Battleships don't turn around on a dime, so while I'm disappointed, I'm optimistic. Keep the faith and don't make rash decisions when you're pissed.
I am not sure how anyone who could have watched that game and thought "meh" and not "Ewwwwwwww!" or "Arrggghhhh!"

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I am sorry for the rant, but I woke up this morning and I am still pissed about last night's game.

I will not mince words. That performance is a fireable offense for everyone on the offensive staff including our head coach. There is nothing short of winning out that should save their jobs. Losing like we did to one of the worst teams in P5 on a night home game is inexcusable.

Where to start? How about making practice close to games. Well, so much for that. Unless our offense practices by standing around and crapping their pants for a few hours, we obviously do not practice like the games, because that is all they did last night.

Also, what happened to holding people accountable, both players and coaches. Why were players who made major gaffes allowed to continue to make more harmful mistakes? I hate to single one player out, but I will. A receiver made a low effort attempt to run the ball on a screen on second down that left us third and short. He then immediately drops the third down pass to force us to punt. The very next drive he is right back on the field. So, much for accountability. Of course, on fourth down late in the game, he then drops another pass which costs us even more, but who cares at that point.

As for the OL, do we teach them anything? They do nothing well. They cannot run block. They cannot pass block. They cannot hold their blocks for any length of time. I swear they would be just as effective if they just dropped on their backs like turtles at the snap and tried to distract the defense instead of blocking them.

Which brings me to my next gripe the play calling. For the love of God, can we please stop running our small RB right into a stacked box when OL does not block anyone? How about trying to seal an edge and running to the outside? Otherwise, bring in your bigger backs to run between tackles.

Can we also please stop running screen passes to our receivers where our smallest, quickest and most agile receiver is blocking and our larger, slower, and less agile receiver catches and runs. Just plain stupidity. Also, I thought Long was great at installing a short to medium passing game where backs and tight ends are instrumental. What happened to all the short routes for our receivers and tight ends to take the pressure off the QBs and give the line a chance to block? Why are our routes downfield and take time to develop? We do not give our team a chance to succeed and constantly put people in a position to fail.

I am sorry, again, for the rant, but that performance was enraging. It was worse. It was criminal to perform that bad against a defense that is not very good. The punishment should be that every coach is banned from coaching at the college level and is regulated to coaching high school football for the rest of their lives like Pat Nix.

This season cannot end soon enough. It is a shame that defensive staff will also most likely be replaced due to this disaster of an offensive coaching staff.

As for our next coach, my wish is Chadwell, BOB, or Mullen. I am sorry, but Key blew his only chance last night by not having this team prepared to play.
No one can blame you if you are still pissed. But I'm still not sure how much blame we can put on Key. I still think Key can and will be a good Head coach. I like the idea of practicing hard. But after what I saw this week and the last few weeks, I really think CGC did more harm to Tech than we think. No back up QB I blame on CGC. If Sims was hurt and limited to what he could do, then Long should have got his back up more practiced time. This would also fall on Key if he knew.
I can understand people being pissed and wanting a new head coach but let's see what happen at the end of the year. I really didn't want a new head coach and start the rebuilding process all over again.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure how anyone who could have watched that game and thought "meh" and not "Ewwwwwwww!" or "Arrggghhhh!"
I'll tell you why I thought it was "meh".

I've watched a lot of Bama games this year and frankly, they should have lost to Texas, lost to Texas A&M, and did lose to Tennessee. Lack of discipline, too many penalties, not a great receiver corps this year and the secondary is questionable. They are not as well coached as years past.

Tech's team is also experiencing breakdowns. We just fired a coach and are going to pivot to a different style and/or a different coach. The game last night was unexciting and the players did not look to me to be prepared or engaged.

It happens. Hopefully, they will learn from this.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Agree with everything you said. It all started with the previous coach wanting to get “bigger and longer” as he stated over and over. To that end he recruited big fat kids who can’t move. And here we are. I’ve told the story of how the previous guy offered a scholly to a big OLinemen and everyone down here was shocked because they knew he wasn’t good. He’s been holding a roster spot now for 3 years and I don’t even think he’s seen the field. The previous guy was all a smoke show and we will be paying for it for another 3 years. It’s a lost decade. We have no QB’s and no OLine which is all that matters. We could lose every RB and WR we have to the portal and we’d be fine at those positions because their are hundreds of them to recruit. Where’s that big old freshmen RB we signed? We should be using him since we have no OLine. It’s gonna get uglier before it gets better due to the portal. Hopefully, we have players who see the bigger picture before they portal out.