#Postgame GT 9 - UVA 16

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe this was mentioned already, but I thought field position impacted the 2nd half, making it hard for new Qb. We had three drives start inside the 10 yard line (5, 4, 7). The drive from the 7 got to mid field, others went nowhere. I suppose lack of a running game was at the root of it, would have allowed Gibson settle in, easier to dig out of bad field position on the ground.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
As far as I am concerned Gibson isn't a quitter. He owned up to his mistake. He will take his lumps from the coaches and fellow players in practice. If he walked off the team, then he'd be a quitter.

People make mistakes. We should probably be grateful we aren't constantly reminded of the mistakes we've made in our lives. Gibson is a young man playing a game for our entertainment. Nothing he did last Thursday will matter in the grand scheme of things other than fueling the spiteful diatribe of keyboard warriors on a message board. How do we keep what transpired last Thursday in context? That's what we need to figure out ASAP.
I struggle with this perspective. I would agree that he acknowledged what he did, by saying that it was a bad look, but I am not sure I would say he owned up to it. But let's say for the sake of argument that his comments were actually a mea culpa and not just an explanation. He still quit. He made a selfish, yes, selfish, decision to not give his teammates a chance to win the game. I am sorry but no one player, let alone the backup QB, gets to decide for the entire team whether they try and win the game or just give up and walk off the field to end the game. Whatever his explanation was, I doubt it is enough of an apology to satisfy the rest of the team. I am not sure how you come back from that. Not saying I will quit on Jackets if he plays again, but I do question how his teammates will respond his does.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I struggle with this perspective. I would agree that he acknowledged what he did, by saying that it was a bad look, but I am not sure I would say he owned up to it. But let's say for the sake of argument that his comments were actually a mea culpa and not just an explanation. He still quit. He made a selfish, yes, selfish, decision to not give his teammates a chance to win the game. I am sorry but no one player, let alone the backup QB, gets to decide for the entire team whether they try and win the game or just give up and walk off the field to end the game. Whatever his explanation was, I doubt it is enough of an apology to satisfy the rest of the team. I am not sure how you come back from that. Not saying I will quit on Jackets if he plays again, but I do question how his teammates will respond his does.

Continue to struggle then. I cannot force people to have empathy for others. Perhaps you would be willing to share some of your biggest mistakes here so that we may know what kind of person you are behind the keyboard? Or maybe you've never blundered at all?

It's fair to say it was a boneheaded play. It's fair to say he should have done differently. If you can't move beyond this then that's not Gibson's fault.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Continue to struggle then. I cannot force people to have empathy for others. Perhaps you would be willing to share some of your biggest mistakes here so that we may know what kind of person you are behind the keyboard? Or maybe you've never blundered at all?

It's fair to say it was a boneheaded play. It's fair to say he should have done differently. If you can't move beyond this then that's not Gibson's fault.
I think you are confusing empathy with sympathy. Unless you have quit on your team like this, it is hard empathise with what he has done. Since I have never done this, No, I do not empathise with what he has done. Have I made a mistakes? Yes, of course, many mistakes. but nothing like this where I quit on a team sport or with any team (military, work, school, etc.) with which I have ever been associated.

Regardless, your response has nothing to do with what I wrote. It is not about my personal feelings (empathy, sympathy, or anything else for that matter). It is what his teammates think and feel that is the issue.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I think you are confusing empathy with sympathy. Unless you have quit on your team like this, it is hard empathise with what he has done. Since I have never done this, No, I do not empathise with what he has done. Have I made a mistakes? Yes, of course, many mistakes. but nothing like this where I quit on a team sport or with any team (military, work, school, etc.) with which I have ever been associated.

Regardless, your response has nothing to do with what I wrote. It is not about my personal feelings (empathy, sympathy, or anything else for that matter). It is what his teammates think and feel that is the issue.

Sympathy, empathy. Games of pedantry at this point. My point is that I'm fairly certain that the team has moved beyond it, but our keyboard warriors haven't.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Sympathy, empathy. Games of pedantry at this point. My point is that I'm fairly certain that the team has moved beyond it, but our keyboard warriors haven't.
I basically said I am over it. I also said I doubt the team has forgiven him. I doubt that explanation was enough of mea culpa to satisfy anyone. I hope he has addressed the team on his own. Even if he has, it still may not be enough. I have been part of numerous close knit units. When someone quits on you like that, it takes a lot more than a few days to forgive and even longer to forget. Maybe you are right, but then again, based on my experience on teams in the past, you are probably wrong.

I will add, it is one thing to quit and take yourself out of the game. It is another thing to quit on the field in such a way that you basically force the entire team to quit along with you.

It is bad enough if we are in a foxhole together and you run away, leaving me alone, yelling, "We cannot win!" It is much, much worse for you to yell out, "We cannot win!" as you blow yourself, and the rest of entire squad, up.

Last edited:

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I suspect if he practices hard this week his teammates will be fine with him if he is the best option at QB to help win the game. They have been with him every day for most of the year and will know if this was a bad one off mistake or a real problem with him. Just guessing it’s a bad one time mistake. We will know a lot more by who the coaches start Saturday.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer

Something tells me you haven't been in a position like his either, where you were thrown into the fire while repeatedly getting your **** rocked and your *** handed to you because the rest of your team wasn't doing their jobs either.

This was a team effort, and the team failed. The O line didn't block a thing all game, the receivers didn't get open and dropped passes thrown their way, the RBs did basically nothing as well. If the rest of the team wants to be mad at Gibson, they should be at least doubly mad at the rest of the offense for their performance or lack thereof, which has been going on a lot longer than 1 game.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Something tells me you haven't been in a position like his either, where you were thrown into the fire while repeatedly getting your **** rocked and your *** handed to you because the rest of your team wasn't doing their jobs either.

This was a team effort, and the team failed. The O line didn't block a thing all game, the receivers didn't get open and dropped passes thrown their way, the RBs did basically nothing as well. If the rest of the team wants to be mad at Gibson, they should be at least doubly mad at the rest of the offense for their performance or lack thereof, which has been going on a lot longer than 1 game.
They Should be mad at the WR’s that dropped catches, especially the 4th down throw that he put right into Carter’s hands near the end of the game.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

You would be wrong, but that does not matter. I do not need to share my life history or tout my bona fides to express what is common knowledge. It is one thing to try and fail miserably. It is another thing to quit on your team and force them also to quit on your terms.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
They Should be mad at the WR’s that dropped catches, especially the 4th down throw that he put right into Carter’s hands near the end of the game.
Every one drops a pass, misses a block or tackle, forgets an assignment, throws an interception, fumbles the ball, etc. Not everyone walks off the field to end the game while the game is still being played and there is a chance to win.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
You would be wrong, but that does not matter. I do not need to share my life history or tout my bona fides to express what is common knowledge. It is one thing to try and fail miserably. It is another thing to quit on your team and force them also to quit on your terms.
Feel free to share your situation you think was like that, otherwise I'm calling BS.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

do you know if the rest of the team is carrying a grudge like some of our fans are? if you don't know, then none of this matters much, does it.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Huh? Whether I know or not does not matter. Whether they are or not does matter. Either way, this is a message board, so none of this matters.
You don't need "or not". This English teacher from UPenn I had here as a freshman was a grammar Nazi. "Or not" makes it redundant and thus unnecessary.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wait, wait, I’m confused. Are we talking about the quarterback who ran out of bounds rather than stretching for the first down with several minutes left on the clock or we talking about the quarterback who ran out of bounds with zero time left on the clock?

I’m not sure which QB has lost the support of the team as a result of quitting but it appeared in the last game that the OL doesn’t like either QB. Perhaps the OL has given up on both of these QBs and wants a new QB.

But, by all means, let’s get the fans turning on each over this $hi+ show that was created by fcgc. I personally do not blame any of our players for the total lack of coaching that has gone on the last four years.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I was at the game but must have missed something because I don’t get the obsession over the last play. I thought I saw a game that was lost countless times, long before that last desperate play:

GT Intercepted on UVA 8 yard line, before Gibson came in.
GT missed pat after TD from interception.
UVA notoriously weak offense marched down the field including two longer pass completions to score TD.
Sims completes one pass, but then 3/out with a sack.
This was all just early in the game, before Gibson came in, I could keep going…
37 runs for 60 yards for goodness sake. UVA put 410 yards on us.
We were in red zone, 8 yard line twice, 3 pts.

Anyway, back to laying blame over the last play, carry on.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I basically said I am over it. I also said I doubt the team has forgiven him. I doubt that explanation was enough of mea culpa to satisfy anyone. I hope he has addressed the team on his own. Even if he has, it still may not be enough. I have been part of numerous close knit units. When someone quits on you like that, it takes a lot more than a few days to forgive and even longer to forget. Maybe you are right, but then again, based on my experience on teams in the past, you are probably wrong.

I will add, it is one thing to quit and take yourself out of the game. It is another thing to quit on the field in such a way that you basically force the entire team to quit along with you.

It is bad enough if we are in a foxhole together and you run away, leaving me alone, yelling, "We cannot win!" It is much, much worse for you to yell out, "We cannot win!" as you blow yourself, and the rest of entire squad, up.

You don't sound like you're over it...