Post-season/Pre-season Team Workouts

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Actually Stanford hasn't been doing too badly in the championship department. Football last five years: PAC 12 Champions 2012, 2013, 2015; Rose Bowl 2013 (W), 2014 (L), 2016 (W); Orange Bowl 2011 (W); Fiesta Bowl 2012 (L); Foster Farms Bowl 2014 (W). All sports: 128 National Championships (107 NCAA titles); won Division 1 Learfield Sports Directors' Cup last 21 consecutive years. Hopefully we never get to the point where we're too smart to learn from others.
Two different animals. Of course you don't want "beasts" in golf, girl's softball, tennis, and the rest of the sports.
Correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe Stanford has yet to even play for a national championship in the last 40 years in football?

Yeah...I'll stick with the beasts until the "non-beasts" start winning championships and beating the beasts.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Two different animals. Of course you don't want "beasts" in golf, girl's softball, tennis, and the rest of the sports.
Correct me if I'm wrong...but I believe Stanford has yet to even play for a national championship in the last 40 years in football?

Yeah...I'll stick with the beasts until the "non-beasts" start winning championships and beating the beasts.
This is silly. What does our winning a share of the 1990 Div 1 football championship have to do with our current S&C program relative to Stanford's?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I'm never sure how S/C correlates to injuries.

I can tell you one way to increase the probability of injury is to develop muscles in iso. I know zip about our S&C program but from what I know about Sisk from previous engagements, he likes compound exercises - exercises that recruit the supporting muscle groups as well as the target muscle group. These exercises develop muscles together. One common source of injuries is where the antagonist of one muscle is disproportionately strong relative to its protagonist - imagine, for example, if your quads were ten times stronger that your hamstrings. That is asking for a pulled muscle.

So, its important to develop muscles in proportion with a combination of compound exercises and a balance of focused exercises.

But, all this aside, we had almost no injury problems in 2014 and a stack of them in 2015. Its not the S&C program. Its just bad luck.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
The "prowler" was explained to me over the weekend. You push the machine by the upright handles about 20 yards through a door where you add two weights (one on each side) then go around to the other side, get low and push it back to the beginning by the low white handles on the other side. The numbers posted here are times. Very interesting as it seems it would work on strength, endurance, agility and quickness.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I can tell you one way to increase the probability of injury is to develop muscles in iso. I know zip about our S&C program but from what I know about Sisk from previous engagements, he likes compound exercises - exercises that recruit the supporting muscle groups as well as the target muscle group. These exercises develop muscles together. One common source of injuries is where the antagonist of one muscle is disproportionately strong relative to its protagonist - imagine, for example, if your quads were ten times stronger that your hamstrings. That is asking for a pulled muscle.

So, its important to develop muscles in proportion with a combination of compound exercises and a balance of focused exercises.

But, all this aside, we had almost no injury problems in 2014 and a stack of them in 2015. Its not the S&C program. Its just bad luck.

Compound exercises are pretty much standard now for all strength training, unless you're working for a specific goal in bodybuilding.

Strength and conditioning can help to avoid injury; stronger quads help to stabilize the knee on cuts, better conditioning helps keep form correct when tired. But no conditioning can overcome someone rolling up your leg or Snoddy's injury for example.