Post-season/Pre-season Team Workouts

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Hope this is the right kind of workout. I posted about the strength program at Stanford. After it started the number of games players lost to injury dropped like a stone. This has most definitely not been the case for us. I sure do hope that our rash of injuries this year were due to sheer bad luck rather then the wrong kind of conditioning.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Hope this is the right kind of workout. I posted about the strength program at Stanford. After it started the number of games players lost to injury dropped like a stone. This has most definitely not been the case for us. I sure do hope that our rash of injuries this year were due to sheer bad luck rather then the wrong kind of conditioning.

Based on the injury sustained I don't see a failing in the S&C program. Fxs and ligaments blowing are not going to be impacted by S&C. Cottrell, for example, was from an awkward plant after a missed block on the edge.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Based on the injury sustained I don't see a failing in the S&C program. Fxs and ligaments blowing are not going to be impacted by S&C. Cottrell, for example, was from an awkward plant after a missed block on the edge.

I'm not sure this really holds water. Injury risk goes up significantly when you're pushing your limits and not just muscular injuries from over exertion. Yes, there's always risk no matter how fit, but the closer you are to your physical limits, the more form breaks down and the more risk of injury to ligaments and even broken bones.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure this really holds water. Injury risk goes up significantly when you're pushing your limits and not just muscular injuries from over exertion. Yes, there's always risk no matter how fit, but the closer you are to your physical limits, the more form breaks down and the more risk of injury to ligaments and even broken bones.

I've seen extremely fit individuals rupture tendons and ligament but in all honesty I never seen a Fx that could have been prevented by a S&C program. The stress necessary to Fx a bone far exceed what muscle strength can withstand. A good S&C program help minimize injury but like I said earlier injury to tendons and ligament occur when the stresses are an unusual torque or excess load. Remember Snoddy's fx?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I've seen extremely fit individuals rupture tendons and ligament but in all honesty I never seen a Fx that could have been prevented by a S&C program. The stress necessary to Fx a bone far exceed what muscle strength can withstand. A good S&C program help minimize injury but like I said earlier injury to tendons and ligament occur when the stresses are an unusual torque or excess load. Remember Snoddy's fx?

You're missing my point. It's not the over exertion that causes the increased risk of injury, but the poor form that comes with it. So yes, poor conditioning can increase the likelihood of tendon/ligament/bone injuries even though it obviously isn't a direct cause. I'm too lazy to find the studies I've seen on this subject. There's a reason Paul Johnson has emphasized improvements in S&C in the offseason.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Here's the article again. Take a look:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/s...training-regimen-redefines-strength.html?_r=0

Looks like the right S&C program can have exactly the opposite effects from what we saw last year. My question = have our S&C coaches absorbed Turley's lessons and techniques? Sure hope so.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's the article again. Take a look:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/s...training-regimen-redefines-strength.html?_r=0

Looks like the right S&C program can have exactly the opposite effects from what we saw last year. My question = have our S&C coaches absorbed Turley's lessons and techniques? Sure hope so.
S&C is huge, but so is the effect of getting blown up constantly from bad blocks.

Gotsis is at peak form...there is no question, yet he got injured.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Correction. Kirby Smart tried to take bama's s&c coach with him.
Correct. I have a very good friend who coaches HS football in Alabama and has a couple of kids being recruited by Alabama. He said he watched some of the UA workouts one time and said their S&C guy was intense. Said this guy was Saban's secret weapon and said, "This guy builds beasts!"