Post-season/Pre-season Team Workouts

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure that's the criteria. The Stanford program isn't based on trying to "build beasts". It's based on a series of programs tailored to particular positions and the first aim is not to build strength, but flexibility, again in ways specific to particular positions.

Well, I'm sure our S&C staff have studied what they are doing out there and acting accordingly. Hope so, anyway.
When Stanford starts winning championships and Bama starts losing them, I'll agree with you. Until then, this is just the next "theory" of how S&C should be done.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When I was there, Coach Dodd had the dining room catered by the best restaurants in Atlanta.

As incoming rat my mother made me buy full meal plan at brittian. Ate a couple of meals and then traded for breakfast only . Still remember throwing the brick hard dinner rolls up into chandelier. Survived because some players taking calculus needed tutorial help. Fruit and large jars of peanut butter between varsity runs. Oh to be young again. Surely we have a good traing table.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As incoming rat my mother made me buy full meal plan at brittian. Ate a couple of meals and then traded for breakfast only . Still remember throwing the brick hard dinner rolls up into chandelier. Survived because some players taking calculus needed tutorial help. Fruit and large jars of peanut butter between varsity runs. Oh to be young again. Surely we have a good traing table.
I never knew how far a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread could be stretched til I got to GT and lived right next door to Brittain. I also lived across the street from Juniors where I had many a meal. Didn't eat much Varsity, though, and it was right across the connector.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
photo.jpg

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you viewing this through your eyes or through a young man's yes? heck, when I was 18 or 19, there was no such thing as "bad food".***;) If it was an all you can eat buffet, so much the better! Eating at Junior's or the V was 'fine dining" imo.

*** Disclaimer: the only exception to the "no bad food for a teenage boy" was the Brittain Dining Hall. I don't know if that place still exists or not but flea you need to check that place out on your next campus visit!:eek:
Through the eyes of a father of a D1 Athlete working his tail off . I spend a lot of money on extra food , food needed to gain muscle ... Many days its hard to get enough healthy calories eating at GT . 5000 to 6000 a day Healthy . Towards the end of the semesters its crap ... Its OK for students needing 2500 calories a day . They can get that eating hamburgers and pizza . S/A have much different needs .

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Chow matters in recruiting. Hell, diet is almost as important as workouts with regards to SnC. That seems to me to be an area we could / should get up to speed on. No reason I can see where we shouldn't be as good as any program when it comes to diet / choices for chow. I always presumed, and I hope, that dietitians are being utilized by all sports teams for every SA.

Reminds me of a story Wes Durham use to tell about George O'Leary losing a recruit. Said that O'Leary was hot and heavy on a stud recruit and thought he had him. It was down to GT and some other school. Anyhow, the kid ended up somewhere else. O'Leary asked the kid why the heck he would pick the other school over GT, and the kid told O'Leary it was pretty much neck and neck between GT and the other school. What broke the tie was that the other school had a soft serve ice cream machine in their dining room.

A week after that, George O'Leary had soft serve ice cream machines added to the athletic department's dining room.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Through the eyes of a father of a D1 Athlete working his tail off . I spend a lot of money on extra food , food needed to gain muscle ... Many days its hard to get enough healthy calories eating at GT . 5000 to 6000 a day Healthy . Towards the end of the semesters its crap ... Its OK for students needing 2500 calories a day . They can get that eating hamburgers and pizza . S/A have much different needs .
Will is shaping out well and the difference will be that last percentage of work out while getting quality protien. Bought my son protien shake by the csse but what put him over top was a summer and weekend job at a bar where he got free chicken wings. He had not progressed in the summers til he took the job and stayed on campus. At 6-5 HE looked good but never could add torso thigh thickness needed to be TRENCH strong.
Will looks like he is very close to being fully TRENCH strong while being agile.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
When Stanford starts winning championships and Bama starts losing them, I'll agree with you. Until then, this is just the next "theory" of how S&C should be done.
Actually Stanford hasn't been doing too badly in the championship department. Football last five years: PAC 12 Champions 2012, 2013, 2015; Rose Bowl 2013 (W), 2014 (L), 2016 (W); Orange Bowl 2011 (W); Fiesta Bowl 2012 (L); Foster Farms Bowl 2014 (W). All sports: 128 National Championships (107 NCAA titles); won Division 1 Learfield Sports Directors' Cup last 21 consecutive years. Hopefully we never get to the point where we're too smart to learn from others.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You're missing my point. It's not the over exertion that causes the increased risk of injury, but the poor form that comes with it. So yes, poor conditioning can increase the likelihood of tendon/ligament/bone injuries even though it obviously isn't a direct cause. I'm too lazy to find the studies I've seen on this subject. There's a reason Paul Johnson has emphasized improvements in S&C in the offseason.
The way I understood your point was to compare it to running. Distance runners have to guard against injury when training by not pushing their limits too far. Tired runners are more susceptible to injury for the reasons you stated.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Will is working out w guys getting ready for the NFL combine . He is looking forward to spring practice .
Has your son talked with you at all about the mood of the kids on the team? Will this past season keep them focused and motivated to have a big year in 2016?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Now is when team chemistry and camaraderie begins to form. What guys do together outside of mandated workouts...means a lot. And I agree with Richt...those bonds mean more than wins n losses.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Will is Pissed off , he is not happy . They fought like hell all season . The things that cost them games can be corrected . I can't speak for others . Will has been driving a 4 hour round trip to work out w the best . The days he is not there is at a local college gym . I have a lot of faith in the guys coming back . Losing sucks . I believe 2016 will be much better . Will is at the gym right now .

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Will is Pissed off , he is not happy . They fought like hell all season . The things that cost them games can be corrected . I can't speak for others . Will has been driving a 4 hour round trip to work out w the best . The days he is not there is at a local college gym . I have a lot of faith in the guys coming back . Losing sucks . I believe 2016 will be much better . Will is at the gym right now .
Thank you. And tell your son I greatly appreciate what he does. I played bball in college and know how hard it is as a student athlete but I couldn't imagine what it has to be like doing both at Tech. You must be extremely proud. Congrats to you as well.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I'm glad he's pissed off. Tell him to run off anyone that's not pissed off. Rather have 40 guys with the right mindset than 85 with half of them content to punch their ticket.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
All the hard work will pay off. Lets hope others are doing the same .

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Why do I get the feeling Will Bryan is going to blow up next year? He came in physically ready to compete and learned the offense as he went along. Now, he's had a full season + to learn the intricacies of the position, he's putting in max effort at the gym, and he's extremely motivated to bust some heads. He reminds me of Shaq after his freshman year.