Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I don't get this year zero bs... CGC did almost as bad as he possibly could in his first season. Is his recruiting looking up? Yes... Based solely on recruiting, will we be competitive with Clemson or UGA - not for half a decade at best. Until he proves he knows how to use the resources available to him, he should be on a short leash.
I personally think the difficult schedule of next year will buy him a pass if he does as poorly as he did this year, but it will put him on an extremely short leash going into year 3...

I’m not 100% sold of CGC. However, to be fair, not many teams have consistently been competitive with UGA or Clemson the last few years.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m not 100% sold of CGC. However, to be fair, not many teams have consistently been competitive with UGA or Clemson the last few years.

I think very few on this board are 100% sold except maybe those very close to the program. We get the luxury of withholding our opinion somewhat. I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

The reason I restarted this post is because there are obviously a lot of people getting recruited who are sold. They may be wrong, but they know a lot more than I do.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I think very few on this board are 100% sold except maybe those very close to the program. We get the luxury of withholding our opinion somewhat. I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

The reason I restarted this post is because there are obviously a lot of people getting recruited who are sold. They may be wrong, but they know a lot more than I do.

Recruiting was always sold as his greatest strength. The fact that the recruiting is going as well as it is gives me hope he’s actually going to do what he was brought here to do.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand why folks think he won’t succeed. It’s all about players. Johnson won when he had experience along the lines and a QB who was great in his system (Nesbitt and Thomas). The same will be for Collins. When I think of Johnson’s worst year (2015) I think of FSU and injuries. When I think of Collins first year I think of recruiting and injuries. Not wins and losses. I just believe Collins is building a program built on players which will give him more room for error whereas Johnson was totally dependent on a QB.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand why folks think he won’t succeed. It’s all about players. Johnson won when he had experience along the lines and a QB who was great in his system (Nesbitt and Thomas). The same will be for Collins. When I think of Johnson’s worst year (2015) I think of FSU and injuries. When I think of Collins first year I think of recruiting and injuries. Not wins and losses. I just believe Collins is building a program built on players which will give him more room for error whereas Johnson was totally dependent on a QB.

I agree on that last line.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I would say 10 years but because he has 7 year contract I’ll stick with 7 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
This is more of a question of how patient is GT. Anyone who thinks we arent three years patient is delusional. The AA gave a not entirely proven coach a 7 year contract because the AA is patient and they know the fanbase is patient, at least the donors in the fanbase that matter are patient.

Exploring the exceedingly unlikely worst case scenario for intellectual exercise reasons: I'll concede three years of futility (3 wins) would be an extreme test of that patience, but if that happened, assuming recruiting was still fine, I would predict assistant coach(es) are easily sacrificed to buy a year.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I agree on that last line.

Every college football coach is totally dependent on the QB position. CGC will be totally dependent on a QB as well unless he recruits the best OL in the NCAA and hands the ball off to a high 4*/5* RB 90% of the time.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes in two years we have a 5 win season he has a chance to stay, but in two years if it’s a 2 or 3 win season and a three year run of something like 9-27 then I think it will be hard to not make a move.

If CGC is 9-27 after 3 years, even the folks with gold colored glasses will be hard pressed to make a case supporting CGC and the staff. But I hate "what ifs".

CGC needs to show the program is improving. If the CGC "process" is not developing players after 3 years, then I agree it would be hard not to make changes. Not necessarily CGC himself, but a sacrificial assistant.

I do not see 9-27. Especially if he can recruit a kicker and a QB.

By year 3, the expectation should be a bowl. Personally, my expectation is a bowl next year if GCG and staff are the second coming folks here are claiming. Tech is in the ACC Coastal for crying out loud.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
5 wins in 2020 buys CGC a 3rd year, and a bowl is a must in year 3.
So you’re saying if he wins 4 next year he’s out? Lol. Unless he goes 0-12 AND recruiting falls back down into the 50s-70s, CGC is here for 3 regardless. If he only wins 3-4 in 2020 AND 2021, but recruiting stays top 20-30, he’s here for year 4 regardless. If it doesn’t look like Tech will make a bowl in year 4, there might be a mid season move made.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It depends on your definition of succeed. While he is recruiting at much better levels than we have seen in a while, we are also still well behind 5 teams on our schedule next year. Is getting us back to 7-5 in probably 3-4 years succeeding? Are we also expecting him and his staff to be excellent game day coaches and win 8-9 games regularly, beating some teams with more talent? There seems to be a feeling from some here that the improved recruiting alone will propel us to new levels. We would probably need to be in the top 10 consistently for that to be true.

So you’re saying if he wins 4 next year he’s out? Lol. Unless he goes 0-12 AND recruiting falls back down into the 50s-70s, CGC is here for 3 regardless. If he only wins 3-4 in 2020 AND 2021, but recruiting stays top 20-30, he’s here for year 4 regardless. If it doesn’t look like Tech will make a bowl in year 4, there might be a mid season move made.

Not sure that consecutive 3-4 wins seasons are good enough for the program, but ok.

YngNstyman

Georgia Tech Fan
It took Oklahoma over seven years to recover from their version of the option and Nebraska still hasn't recovered. We're recruiting at a level that we have never seen before at Tech.
When you factor all that in with the fact that Collins and his staff are the only ones who have actually wanted to be at Tech since Ross, you have to let this play out.
There are way to many CPJ holdouts and low IQ football fans in our fanbase. Who are you gonna replace him with? What are you gonna do with the alum that make up our staff?
How blind do you have to be to not see how special this new situation is? I came out of the womb buzzin and have been a fan for over 40yrs. You either recognize what's going on right now or you can't grasp the reality of a successful Tech football program...

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
He was hired for his ability to build a brand and recruit as much as he was his coaching ability. These things take time. Tech is about to sign their best recruiting class in over a decade but the kids will be true freshman this year. Assuming he continues to recruit like this and slowly improves his record he will be here at least for his entire contract (6 years). It will be year 4 (2022) before his first real recruiting class is considered upperclassmen and some will still be redshirt sophomores. The reason a six year contract is signed is because when signing a coach that touts recruiting as a strength that is how long it takes for their first recruiting class to be 5th year seniors.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It took Oklahoma over seven years to recover from their version of the option and Nebraska still hasn't recovered. We're recruiting at a level that we have never seen before at Tech.
When you factor all that in with the fact that Collins and his staff are the only ones who have actually wanted to be at Tech since Ross, you have to let this play out.
There are way to many CPJ holdouts and low IQ football fans in our fanbase. Who are you gonna replace him with? What are you gonna do with the alum that make up our staff?
How blind do you have to be to not see how special this new situation is? I came out of the womb buzzin and have been a fan for over 40yrs. You either recognize what's going on right now or you can't grasp the reality of a successful Tech football program...
Nobody wants him replaced right now. I’m not sure why that is the go to line when any criticism goes his way. You guys don’t need to have thin skin for him. He is making millions of dollars and just went 3-9. He can handle a little criticism. We are all hoping he turns it around. Also, I’ll be perfectly fine if he wins 8 games in year two and 9 games in year three like Nebraska did during their monumental transition that they never recovered from.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Hyperbole and insults are no way to win a debate...