Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Nobody wants him replaced right now. I’m not sure why that is the go to line when any criticism goes his way. You guys don’t need to have thin skin for him. He is making millions of dollars and just went 3-9. He can handle a little criticism. We are all hoping he turns it around. Also, I’ll be perfectly fine if he wins 8 games in year two and 9 games in year three like Nebraska did during their monumental transition that they never recovered from.
Nebraska play 5 teams in the top 20 recruiting?

His point is solid.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I don’t understand why folks think he won’t succeed. It’s all about players. Johnson won when he had experience along the lines and a QB who was great in his system (Nesbitt and Thomas). The same will be for Collins. When I think of Johnson’s worst year (2015) I think of FSU and injuries. When I think of Collins first year I think of recruiting and injuries. Not wins and losses. I just believe Collins is building a program built on players which will give him more room for error whereas Johnson was totally dependent on a QB.

You are correct and completely wrong all at the same time. I dont know why people keep taking this narrow and easily proven wrong view. There are constant examples all over college football where coaches waste talent. That view is proven wrong every year. There are so many coaches who can recruit but they cant coach.

I don't like a good bit of the coaching skills I saw this year from CGC. But I hope Todd can help him navigate this a little. We get a pass this year. But if we are as inept next year, the good recruiting will stop. Recruits are not dumb

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

His point is solid.

Not about Nebraska. Nebraska may not play 5 teams currently in the top 20 in recruiting, but they play 4 in the top 25. Also, our 5th team is ND, who we do not play yearly anyways, so it's really a wash. Also, Nebraska has had maybe 3-4 losing seasons in the last 40-50 years, so their transition wasn't anything like what we are going through right now.

I do, however, agree we need to give CGC a good bit of time to put his players into place before we judge him completely. As long as we look better prepared than this last year, I am not going to worry overmuch about win totals next year.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Not about Nebraska. Nebraska may not play 5 teams currently in the top 20 in recruiting, but they play 4 in the top 25. Also, our 5th team is ND, who we do not play yearly anyways, so it's really a wash. Also, Nebraska has had maybe 3-4 losing seasons in the last 40-50 years, so their transition wasn't anything like what we are going through right now.

I do, however, agree we need to give CGC a good bit of time to put his players into place before we judge him completely. As long as we look better prepared than this last year, I am not going to worry overmuch about win totals next year.
No. No. Dont feed us nonsense.

Nebraska played only OSU and Iowa(rated24th) this year of the Rivals top 25. (And they went 5-7 btw.) Dont try to include top 25 teams in their conference that they dont play.

We have four opponents in the top 20. Iiwii.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Idk how I missed this thread......

for me I put 3 years but changed it to 4.

6+ wins in 2020
7+ wins in 2021
And then id expect a bigger jump in 2020 with Collins having his first year of his own juniors.
9+ wins in 2022

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
He wants to be here ( +1) Without a doubt he has shown he can recruit ( +2 ) He got Coach Key to come back to Tech ( +3) He has shown he is a good defensive coach ( +4) The players seem to like playing for ( +5) As bad as last year was the players didn't not quit ( +6 ) So I come up with 6 years .

Incredible there wasn't a -1 for highering CDP in this equation ;)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No. No. Dont feed us nonsense.

Nebraska played only OSU and Iowa(rated24th) this year of the Rivals top 25. (And they went 5-7 btw.) Dont try to include top 25 teams in their conference that they dont play.

We have four opponents in the top 20. Iiwii.

My bad on Michigan. Nebraska plays Penn State next year which is why I included them.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, by year 5 (2023) the entire roster from top to bottom will all consist of Collins’s players for the first time.

So, hopefully that fifth season would be a great one—that is, if he can indeed coach them well enough to make it so.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

His point is solid.
Nebraska made their transition 15 years ago and I'm not going to dig up the recruiting rankings of all of their opponents but claiming they never recovered when they won 9+ games 8 of the next 11 years is just false. Unless the assumption was that they would return to the level they were at under Osborne which would obviously be a ridiculous assumption.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Idk how I missed this thread......

for me I put 3 years but changed it to 4.

6+ wins in 2020
7+ wins in 2021
And then id expect a bigger jump in 2020 with Collins having his first year of his own juniors.
9+ wins in 2022
In 2022 we have Ole Miss (Kiffen year 3), UCF, and FSU on the schedule. We will likely have to beat two of those three and not lose to anyone else other than Clemson and UGA to get to 9 wins. That would be a heck of a coaching job.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
In 2022 we have Ole Miss (Kiffen year 3), UCF, and FSU on the schedule. We will likely have to beat two of those three and not lose to anyone else other than Clemson and UGA to get to 9 wins. That would be a heck of a coaching job.
All those teams may be really good or they could all just be ok. 2022 is a long way aways. Time will tell, but, if CGC and staff are as good of coaches as advertised then I think we will be in good shape.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure lowering expectations three years out is the strongest endorsement of Collins, but okay.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think CGC will have to win 8 games next year, 10 in 21, 12 in 22 to keep his job. Anything less is unacceptable.

Good grief.

Winning is not linear. CGC can average 8 games a year to make this a great hire. That's an improved win rate over the last decade and overall since 1970. It's something to build upon and comparable to someone like Auburn which spends far greater on football than we do. If Geoff is on track to win 55-60 games during his first contract of 7 years, then it's a win for everyone.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I’m not sure lowering expectations three years out is the strongest endorsement of Collins, but okay.
Im not setting any expectations for that year. Im saying that it is likely going to be a really tough schedule and that winning 9 games will probably be a good coaching job. Does that comment really bother you that much?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Im not setting any expectations for that year. Im saying that it is likely going to be a really tough schedule and that winning 9 games will probably be a good coaching job. Does that comment really bother you that much?

So I am curious about something... You have correctly pointed out that the 2022 schedule is not a cakewalk. Looking at the 2021 schedule, though, it looks like an absolute murderers row. I am legitimately only expecting us to win 3-4 games next season - assuming we can figure out how to beat an FCS opponent.
Hypothetically speaking, if we only win 4 games next season, what kind of season do you think will we have to have in 2022 in order for CGC to stay off the hotseat?

YngNstyman

Georgia Tech Fan
I believe he should be given at least a full recruiting cycle/5yrs/full class graduation before even considering a change.
It all starts with recruiting. I'm sure our staff will have some changes in that time, but if we continue to recruit at this level and take advantage of being in downtown Atlanta, what's to stop us? This isn't the 80's. There's no social childhood shame in being a bright kid that wants a future and Atlanta is as awesome as it gets.
Give him time. The future is bright.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ok, here's a hypothetical.

CGC starts out 3-9. Let's say each of his next six seasons (the length of his contract) are the following:

5-7
9-3
10-2
8-4
8-4
5-7

Do you keep him or not?