Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LibertyTurns

Banned
I wonder how many of the critics would feel right if in their own jobs they were fired with 11 months for not achieving glowing results?
My guys get the same amount of rope I got. 3 months to figure out the problem(s), 3 months to put a plan together to address each of the weaknesses, 6 months to show solid results. They get watched carefully for judgment items in the first 12 months. If they cannot see a mistake or repeat mistakes it usually doesn’t bode well for long term employment. Maybe others are much more benevolent then I but you get paid to perform, not point out failures. I can see then myself and don’t need help watching people **** the bed.

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone willing to admit they voted to can him after one year?

Not sure about year 1, but with very little effort could point to quite a few that tend to think next year is more than enough time to completely transform a 3O system and roster to a well oiled machine that will compete favorably with the top tier factory schools. Give it a break folks. I sure as hell wouldn't want those people running my athletic program.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given our recruiting success, anyone want to change? These kids believe. Poll open till Jan 16th.

I'm still at 4 years. But it will be interesting to see how many years it is since we have had a class this highly ranked - currently #23 on Scout.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I picked 3 and I am staying with it. I am still between 2-4 depending on how bad/good year 2 and 3 are. If you don't have a good coaching staff, recruiting does not matter. Bad coaches waste talent all the time. Definitely by year 4 we will know what we have

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I don't get this year zero bs... CGC did almost as bad as he possibly could in his first season. Is his recruiting looking up? Yes... Based solely on recruiting, will we be competitive with Clemson or UGA - not for half a decade at best. Until he proves he knows how to use the resources available to him, he should be on a short leash.
I personally think the difficult schedule of next year will buy him a pass if he does as poorly as he did this year, but it will put him on an extremely short leash going into year 3...

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't get this year zero bs... CGC did almost as bad as he possibly could in his first season. Is his recruiting looking up? Yes... Based solely on recruiting, will we be competitive with Clemson or UGA - not for half a decade at best. Until he proves he knows how to use the resources available to him, he should be on a short leash.
I personally think the difficult schedule of next year will buy him a pass if he does as poorly as he did this year, but it will put him on an extremely short leash going into year 3...

He has a 7 year contract at a school not known for having loads of $$$ to spend to buyouts, you are delusional if you think the leash is that short. The only reason you would be correct is if we see actual regression from this year.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
One would hope to see improvement, year over year. Year two offers opportunity against some quality opponents and an opportunity to show improved play. An upset early next season would buy CGC some "leash". I still want CGC to succeed. I have to believe CGC is extremely disappointed with his first season.

I am with those that believe next year will be an indicator of how well his plan is working.

Has there been any after season comments by CGC about the status of the program as Tech moves into the off season?

Scubapro

Banned
I think CGC will get five years IF he gets rid of Patenaude after this recruiting cycle. Patenaude's game management didn't show any signs of life or improvement during the season. If he sticks with Pat and we average 17 pts per game then he might not make it past 3 seasons
The duo of CGC and Pat looks eerily similar to Chan and Nix IMO

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I have seen more than enough, but know that he’s not going anywhere. I think he will get to year 3. If year 2 is 2-3 wins then he will be on the hot seat in year three. Year 3 will need to be a bowl game to get to year 4. If he loses to GW next year or KSU in two years he will be gone after the game.
Luckily your not the one making these decisions

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think CGC will get five years IF he gets rid of Patenaude after this recruiting cycle. Patenaude's game management didn't show any signs of life or improvement during the season. If he sticks with Pat and we average 17 pts per game then he might not make it past 3 seasons
The duo of CGC and Pat looks eerily similar to Chan and Nix IMO

Is it necessary for you to slime on the OC with every post you make? We get it, you don't like him, you don't think he cuts the mustard, you want someone else to run the offense. But you aren't his boss, or one of his players, and it doesn't matter how many times you post you overblown negative opinion about him, someone else will make the decision of his employment opportunities going forward. Give it a rest.

Scubapro

Banned
Sorry. I thought this was a thread discussing how much time Collins should get and why. IMO Collins should get at least four provided he is willing to make changes.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. I thought this was a thread discussing how much time Collins should get and why. IMO Collins should get at least four provided he is willing to make changes.

i think that was one of cpj bigger issues. he was too loyal to a few of his assistants. namely sewak.

when we first hired cgc that was my biggest concern. as he upgrades the jimmies an joes hopefully we out grow a few of the coaches we have and he is able to and willing to upgrade. he needs to be a ceo not a coach. imo. alot like dabo.

Scubapro

Banned
i think that was one of cpj bigger issues. he was too loyal to a few of his assistants. namely sewak.

when we first hired cgc that was my biggest concern. as he upgrades the jimmies an joes hopefully we out grow a few of the coaches we have and he is able to and willing to upgrade. he needs to be a ceo not a coach. imo. alot like dabo.
Agreed Paul was willing to cycle thru D coordinators but held onto Sewak sp? for some reason

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
So you think he can win 2 or 3 games for the next two years and not be on the hot seat?
Well, to nitpick, he could theoretically win only 5 and survive year 3, with certain not unreasonable assumptions.

More importantly, 2-3 wins in 2020 wont put him on a hot seat any more than any other coach that exists, and the seat wont be hot whatsoever as long as he lands another class like this.

Let me try to be clear about something that people microfocused on losses are missing: CGC has changed everything. The conventional wisdom is that we had to have a great coach because we were always going to be undermanned. CGC is proving that wrong. We can recruit at or near the top.

That is beyond huge. When we looked for a coach prior times, most said we weren't a top tier job because top coaches dont want to be undermanned. Now, they will have to admit that GT is a job where top recruits will come to play for a top coach.

He, and the whole staff if CGC thinks best, has to be given time to prove that GT can recruit top players. That will be far, far more important long term than 2020-21-22 wins and losses. Proving we can get top players will prove we are a top job even if this staff cant translate it to wins.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Well, to nitpick, he could theoretically win only 5 and survive year 3, with certain not unreasonable assumptions.

More importantly, 2-3 wins in 2020 wont put him on a hot seat any more than any other coach that exists, and the seat wont be hot whatsoever as long as he lands another class like this.

Let me try to be clear about something that people microfocused on losses are missing: CGC has changed everything. The conventional wisdom is that we had to have a great coach because we were always going to be undermanned. CGC is proving that wrong. We can recruit at or near the top.

That is beyond huge. When we looked for a coach prior times, most said we weren't a top tier job because top coaches dont want to be undermanned. Now, they will have to admit that GT is a job where top recruits will come to play for a top coach.

He, and the whole staff if CGC thinks best, has to be given time to prove that GT can recruit top players. That will be far, far more important long term than 2020-21-22 wins and losses. Proving we can get top players will prove we are a top job even if this staff cant translate it to wins.

cgc is changing the landscape and perception of gt.

if i remember right a guy did a show on cgc and talked about the recruiting territories etc all pointing to atlanta..... according to coach. we have the nfl near by... we have a top quality school... the evening atmosphere at bds is unique. all we need to do is concentrate on 404 become atlanta's college fb team and the local fans will come.

going to a gt fb game should be THE event to attend on fall saturdays.

now if we can change all those that continue to spout " we cant have nice things". 'yes we can' is the culture cgc is trying to change more so than the one on the practice field imo.

i do believe positivity breeds positivity which breeds confidence.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer

Yes in two years we have a 5 win season he has a chance to stay, but in two years if it’s a 2 or 3 win season and a three year run of something like 9-27 then I think it will be hard to not make a move.