Poll - What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

What is a reasonable amount of time for Collins to be given?

• Get rid of him now, seen enough.

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Get rid of him after signing day since I'm not an upfront person.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2020 season (2 years)

Votes: 30 6.9%
  • After 2021 season (3 years)

Votes: 141 32.4%
  • After 2022 season (4 years)

Votes: 146 33.6%
  • After 2023 season (5 years)

Votes: 75 17.2%
  • End of contract - 2025 - 7 years

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • As long as Johnson - 11 years

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • Lifetime - I'm into pain which is why I follow GT football.

Votes: 9 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OK, there are a lot of people who always comment. But channeling my inner Nixon, I believe there is a silent majority out there who are willing to give him a reasonable amount of time.

What's reasonable varies with the person. I think at least 3 years, but given the amount of pain and expense in any transition I put 4 years in.

I say 3-4 years largely because of the improvement in recruiting. I never expected Collins to do better coaching than Johnson. Johnson did more with less. I'm hoping that Collins will do more with more. If the recruiting class falls apart, then I'd change my mind but I see no indication it is.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
OK, there are a lot of people who always comment. But channeling my inner Nixon, I believe there is a silent majority out there who are willing to give him a reasonable amount of time.

What's reasonable varies with the person. I think at least 3 years, but given the amount of pain and expense in any transition I put 4 years in.

I say 3-4 years largely because of the improvement in recruiting. I never expected Collins to do better coaching than Johnson. Johnson did more with less. I'm hoping that Collins will do more with more. If the recruiting class falls apart, then I'd change my mind but I see no indication it is.
I said 3 years, but to me this means that we go 7-5 or 6-6 in the 3rd year. We need to be 8-4 or 9-3 in that 4th year for CGC to be the man long term.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He is having a decent year with recruiting if the top guys sign but ultimately his success will depend on the competence of his staff and if we can develop a QB for the offense.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Highly dependent on the outcome of next year, and to a degree, the rest of this year. If we lose to NC State on Thursday and finish 2-10, and then we follow that up with 3-9 next year, there will be substantial calls for his firing. A majority won't be calling for a change, but there will be a substantial group. If we are bad next year and fail to make a bowl in the 3rd year, a majority will call for a change.

The amount of wins in the second season will impact the expectations of the third season. If we win six games in year two and follow that up with another 6 wins, the lion share will still be advocating for patience. If we win 3 games next year, and five games in his third year, I think he's close to gone. The latter scenario would certainly require the firing of one or both coordinators.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Four years minimum. Most coaches (outside of those at FSU and Arkansas) get at least 3 years to get it together, but Collins gets a "year zero" because of the transition. We don't have anywhere near to the amount of money necessary to fire him before year 4 unless Dewberry personally funds it. Additionally, three years left on a contract is always extension/termination time because of recruiting (though apparently Mike Bobinski didn't understand that), so year 4 is perfect in that regard. If Collins doesn't reach a bowl game by 2023, he'll be gone. Alternatively, if he pulls out an 7+ win season in 2023, you can expect he'll receive a 2-5 year extension depending on number of wins. Either way, I think we'll have a pretty talented roster either for Collins or the next guy to build upon at the end of 2023. Win-win.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I have seen more than enough, but know that he’s not going anywhere. I think he will get to year 3. If year 2 is 2-3 wins then he will be on the hot seat in year three. Year 3 will need to be a bowl game to get to year 4. If he loses to GW next year or KSU in two years he will be gone after the game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think we'll show improvement next year but won't be close in the really tough games (Clemson, uGAg or ND to start)

He is having a decent year with recruiting if the top guys sign but ultimately his success will depend on the competence of his staff and if we can develop a QB for the offense.

He and the staff have to get a lot better at coaching and in-game play calling IMHO. I will never be able to unsee the fair catch on the 2 yard line. Just like I'll never forget the safety we gave the other team by retreating to the end zone after picking up the ball in the field of play.

I like how it says the 2020 season is 4 years away. Will probably feel that way.

Oooopps.

Interesting math going on up there. Lol. So I don't know how to answer

Yeah, I'm challenged by the simple stuff too. Just ignore the year:sick:

ScGold

Banned
This is about typical. A bunch of calculator crunching nonathletic idiots saying year 3 is got to be this or........ Really, how many of you experts built anything from scratch and to know what kind of challenge is facing this coach? We will win 8 games or more in ur 4 and that is going to be because this coach was handed a big pie of little to no d1 talent that will out recruit, out market, and our perform the last staff.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I said four full seasons. Realistically it should be five, but if year four is incredibly bad (I have no reason to think it will be), then I can see TStan beginning to feel the pressure.

Animal02

Banned

If next year is like this year, '21 he will need to be in the 8 win range to stay. If he goes 5-7 next year and 6-6 or 7-5 he will last a while.

Animal02

Banned
Highly dependent on the outcome of next year, and to a degree, the rest of this year. If we lose to NC State on Thursday and finish 2-10, and then we follow that up with 3-9 next year, there will be substantial calls for his firing. A majority won't be calling for a change, but there will be a substantial group. If we are bad next year and fail to make a bowl in the 3rd year, a majority will call for a change.

The amount of wins in the second season will impact the expectations of the third season. If we win six games in year two and follow that up with another 6 wins, the lion share will still be advocating for patience. If we win 3 games next year, and five games in his third year, I think he's close to gone. The latter scenario would certainly require the firing of one or both coordinators.
Said more or less the same.

So just a note, When CPJ got here was our team loaded with TO players. Nope. Nesbitt had no idea how to run it. etc. so please stop with the mammoth transition. All these players ran a similar offense to what we have now in high school.
So how long. Based on the schedule we should win 1 next year. But if we have a bunch of real close losses then that is improvement. If by year 3 we don't win 6, then he is gone at the end of 3. The stadium will be empty.