[Poll] Out of pure curiosity - Did you attend Georgia Tech?

Did you attend Georgia Tech

• Total voters

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Well this got out of hand haha. I didn’t attend. My dad grew up in East Point so he has been a lifelong fan and passed it down to me. I possibly could have gotten into Tech but I lived out of state and didn’t have the work ethic at 18-22 to cut it at Tech. Heck I barely got out of UAH because I skipped class to play golf so often. Damn you Macroeconomic Analysis. Anyway, I’ll always be a Tech fan. Congrats to those that graduated from tech. Hopefully I’ll have some kids one day and maybe I can send them to Tech. I’ll do my best to pass down my love of the Yellow Jackets like my dad did for me.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I was reluctant to respond to this thread. Our attendance was 37,000 at our last home game so I don’t care if you “got out”, “flunked out”, are still a student, or even attended college. Thanks a million to our men and women in uniform. What I really care about is getting our athletic programs winning and our fan base coming together behind them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that’s the point here. It’s just a fact that more fans equals more revenue that will in turn lead to better facilities. GT alums unfortunately turn some people off with what appears to be arrogant elitism. I would suggest that even if this is justified, make sure that you are aware of how you are coming across so you don’t push people that may like the underdog role that GT has historically played so well away due to the perceived arrogance.

Truth

Georgia Tech Fan
Y’all notice that among the non Tech grad fans (and a special thanks to you!), who offered a reason for not going to school there, lack of interest in suffering the rigorous work, OR Tech not having their major are the major points?

Unfortunately it IS the same for potential SAs

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
ID94. Started in Fall '87 after a stint in the Army. I finally got out in the Spring of '94 after a hiatus in the middle. Spring 1994 was the last quarter Dr. Crecine was president, so looking back I wish I'd actually gone to graduation. At that point, I was so ready to get out I didn't even feel like going to the ceremony.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Did not attend Tech

Undergrad Program 2008 - BS Psychology - Jacksonville State University 4.0 President's List (calculus and advanced calculus is simple, don't listen to these people on here)
Graduate Program 2012 - Counseling Psychology - Lakeland University

I like the mixture here of alums and non alums. I've come to the conclusion after 15 years attached to the program and financially investing in it that the non alum GT fans are the best fans we have, much better than the cheap complaining alums that usually don't even know much about sports to begin with. The alum fans are just a little on the weird side, let's face it, the nerdy stereotypes are true. That being said, there are outliers. I've met some of the coolest, most knowledgeable fans that actually did go to Tech but they're few and far between. Most alums here don't understand the fundamental aspects of sports but they do thoroughly enjoy making a spreadsheet that tells you our PPD rate in the rain vs Atlantic opponents on the road during the months of October and November. Hopefully TStan can tap into more intellectual sports fans and have them join the mix, we DESPERATELY need them. Like I said though, there are certainly outliers. But most of our alum are not guys or gals you wanna have a beer/cocktail with and talk football. Fortunately for us here at Swarm though, there's a good mix of both.

Long story short, our sidewalk fans are so much better and knowledgeable than our alum fans. We need so many more and we can start finally acting like a real fan base.

Ouch, Milwaukee throwing down the heat. #truth
I currently live in Sheboygan county. Are we neighbors ??

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
In in '87 and out the 1st time in '93 MatE co-op. Back for an MS MSE '99. I, too, would not be accepted today with the credentials I had in '87. But, I think, like most, if I were going to HS today, my credentials would probably be stronger than they were back then. I went to a damn good public high school in an affluent town in Connecticut. Most of my class ahead of me went to Ivy league or Ivy-level schools. I don't think many of us would be accepted today with the grades and scores we had back then. I think the bar has been raised across the board.

Now, as for the level of difficulty in schools, at least back when I was there, there is truth to what is being said. I co-oped 13 quarters, with 6 of them being with Sikorsky Aircraft in Connecticut. While I was there, I worked with other engineering co-ops or summer interns from RPI, WPI, Michigan, MIT, Cooper Union, Boston University, Northwestern, and Carnegie Mellon (at least those are the ones I remember). Many of them knew about the Tech Shaft by reputation. The MIT guy actually asked about E-Mag, Re-Mag, and Three-Mag, using those terms. We occasionally had discussions about classes, and what we were learning in 11-12 week quarters, they were learning in 18-week semesters.

Math is math, mechanics is mechanics, so, it doesn't matter where you go to learn it, it takes the same level of mental capacity to absorb the knowledge, regardless of where you matriculate. My friends who left GT and ended up at Southern Tech took the same calculus we took. It was generally the way it was taught, the speed at which is was pushed, and the level of difficulty of the examinations that were different. You can test someone's comprehension of basic concepts without making the questions so difficult that there's no way to finish the test; yet is seems some of my professors didn't believe that to be true. My Chem 1112 class had 36 students. There were 28 F's, 4 D's, 3 C's and 1 A. Retiring quarter for the professor: he didn't care. I had a friend that was diagnosed with PTSD after 'getting out.'

So, while all schools are not created equal, math is math and science is science. I don't hold Tech up to be a "better" school than many other schools in the engineering. Like Special Forces training, it's not for everyone, and some found it easier than others, but if you have the blind stubborness and unwillingness to give up, there is a feeling of great accomplishment one feels by "getting out." It's something you can try to describe, but always fall short when explaining. There is an instant kinship you feel with someone else you know went through the same experience. This is what I think others are saying you can't understand if you didn't go through it. It's not a condescension.

Anyway, I'm sure this didn't come across well, and will probably piss a lot of people off. But, it's what I feel when I think of my time at Tech. I look at my fellow fans as just that: fellow fans. I don't care if you are an alumnus, a graduate, a "sidewalk" fan, an option fan, a what-ever fan. You are my fellow fan and we stand and cheer the brave and bold with everything we got. I became a fan when I first came to Tech. The first day I stepped on campus was my first day of classes. So, how could I ever question the fandom of someone who was supporting this school's teams longer than I've been alive? Go Tech!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Bud, you have a nice degree, but it ain't MIT. The classroom environment you're describing as if its NASA is pretty much every campus in the US. "400 students, TA's not knowing your name because there's so many students". Good Lord man, how did you "Get Out" with that going on? That's just college, and any decent student with good work ethic should walk right through it. Techs a great school and one should have pride about their diploma, but if you've convinced yourself it's more impressive than it actually is then I guess I shouldn't care. I want everyone to be happy and have high self esteem.

All that being said, there are in fact outliers. But the outliers are easy to spot due to their self awareness.

I know for a fact that calc 1 and 2 at southern and at uga are 23 person classes. Again you missed the point. I was not arguing that most tech caliber students should be able to handle it. Your reading comprehension leaves a little to be desired. I was displaying how the environment can chew up and spit out student athletes which is the only time I bring up the academic rigor. The way you try to justify your non attendance screams something like you got waitlisted

Last edited:

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
I was there ‘02-‘07, BSME. Wasn’t initially a FB fan but attended home games when I could (and then WVB games at O’Keefe after - that team was stacked those days).

The ‘06 ACCCG vs WF was my last game as a student, and I spent the forgettable ‘07 season swamped with the after hours classes baked into my job out of college..

I’d say I was an early adopter when I heard about the CPJ hire.. took it as far as becoming the local alumni club contact for game watchings and started going to some road games & bowl games, which became something of a tradition with my gf at the time (now wife) - we went to that unfortunate CFA Bowl game vs LSU.. Went to the ‘12 and ‘14 ACCCG’s in Charlotte.. etc

Long story short GT FB wasn’t that big a part of my life before CPJ - but it has been since. This will be an interesting transition for my little fam.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Did not , graduated from Southern Technical Institute ( or just Southern Tech) what most people did not know it was a division of the Georgia Institute of Technology. The difference was my degree was in Civil Engineering Technology ( CET ) not Civil Engineering like at Georgia Tech. I could lie and say the reason I picked Southern Tech was because I was working full time and had to take all my classes at night ( which was true but I don't think I could have passed at Georgia Tech). And I know some on here talk about there only being a few women at Georgia Tech but at Southern Tech in the Civil department we only had 1 . They did have a few in the industrial engineering department maybe 20 but not many. It pissed me off a few years ago when they put Southern Tech under Kennesaw State .

This sounds like my story. I got a degree in CS. We are now OWLS. :banghead: