Player suspensions

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
What worries me is the 10 phone calls between Pastner and Bell on October 2nd that totaled 105 minutes. Listening to the podcast it seems Parrish and Norlander believe this shows that GT and Pastner knew what was going on before they self reported. Ron Bell is claiming that during those phone calls he was threatening Pastner that he was going to "expose" him.
104 out of the 105 minutes was Ron talking about how much money he has and his girlfriend. The other minute was the blackmailing.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Meh. People already considered CJP a cheater just because he worked at Arizona and under Calipari. People will always believe anything crazy about people/teams they don't like and Pastner is that by association.

Not a big deal.

This is how I feel as well. Everyone thinks everyone cheats. Josh may have a problem with how he is perceived after this but in all honesty, I don’t think he is 100% innocent here, so, I ain’t from Missouri but he’s going to have to show me before my bias is full bore again.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
The AJC article this morning said that Pastner learned about the violations on October 2nd, and immediately reported it to Compliance. That would seem to me to be consistent with the phone calls on that date. I haven't listened to the podcast, but I don't understand why the phone calls on that date would lead Norlander and Parrish to think he/GT knew about it earlier.

Like Peac, I had the impression that they met while Pastner was at Memphis, but also from the AJC:

The two became friends when Pastner was a basketball player at Arizona and grew after Pastner joined the Wildcats staff. Bell reportedly credited Pastner with saving his life by encouraging to get help for a prescription drug problem. Bell told the Commercial-Appeal in February 2016 – two months before Pastner left Memphis for Tech – that Pastner saved him again years later by helping motivate him to get treatment for cancer.

How old is this guy? Was he in college at the same time, or was he an older booster-type?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The AJC article this morning said that Pastner learned about the violations on October 2nd, and immediately reported it to Compliance. That would seem to me to be consistent with the phone calls on that date. I haven't listened to the podcast, but I don't understand why the phone calls on that date would lead Norlander and Parrish to think he/GT knew about it earlier.

Like Peac, I had the impression that they met while Pastner was at Memphis, but also from the AJC:

The two became friends when Pastner was a basketball player at Arizona and grew after Pastner joined the Wildcats staff. Bell reportedly credited Pastner with saving his life by encouraging to get help for a prescription drug problem. Bell told the Commercial-Appeal in February 2016 – two months before Pastner left Memphis for Tech – that Pastner saved him again years later by helping motivate him to get treatment for cancer.

How old is this guy? Was he in college at the same time, or was he an older booster-type?

Yeah they met way back but I was under the impression they haven’t been close until AFTER Bell was released from prison which was in I wanna say 2013-14 but can’t be sure.

JacketGirl

Jolly Good Fellow
104 out of the 105 minutes was Ron talking about how much money he has and his girlfriend. The other minute was the blackmailing.
Seriously. You can tell just by listening to that interview that Don't be Ron loves to talk. 105 minutes of phone calls? All his gums flapping. Guaranteed. I have proof. You've seen it, right Gary? You believe me, right Gary?

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
For my own amusement, I pulled up his mugshot...

Attachments

• IMG_0547.PNG
    IMG_0547.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 172

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
This is how I feel as well. Everyone thinks everyone cheats. Josh may have a problem with how he is perceived after this but in all honesty, I don’t think he is 100% innocent here, so, I ain’t from Missouri but he’s going to have to show me before my bias is full bore again.

i 'kinda' feel this way but as another poster pointed out "our perception of cjp is forever changed". i am no longer 100% towards him as i was before.

Malpharetta04

Georgia Tech Fan

Agreed. I really don't give a damn how people outside of our program, recruits, and/or fan base perceive Josh. They don't spot you a 10 point lead because you are a nice guy.

As far as the calls on October 2 - I am choosing to believe that Josh found out that day, got super pissed off and called Ron every negative word that didn't include profanity under the sun. (And then Ron reminded him that he has money and a girlfriend for the remaining hour and a half.)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agreed. I really don't give a damn how people outside of our program, recruits, and/or fan base perceive Josh. They don't spot you a 10 point lead because you are a nice guy.

As far as the calls on October 2 - I am choosing to believe that Josh found out that day, got super pissed off and called Ron every negative word that didn't include profanity under the sun. (And then Ron reminded him that he has money and a girlfriend for the remaining hour and a half.)

Ron also probably told him, "come at me bro, I got all tha Nat'l Geographic magazines ready!"?

Huh?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, first of all we may well be a better team this year with a worse record than last. It is a building process.

Second, once Dickie V mentions CJP on a couple of national broadcast and tells all about what a great coach, recruiter and, above all else, what a great human being he is - things will be fine.

Lastly, for some strange reason, I envision ron bell sitting outside the ncaa HQ on a bench waiting for them to come begging him to come help them. Not unlike that self centered, psychotic, egomaniac Avery Brundage did as he sat on a bench outside the IOC waiting for them to come begging him to come back. After they had fired his azz.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
My dad always told me that a truly rich, successful and/or smart person will never tell you. That fact that Ron has to keep repeating those things is an instant indicator that he's full of ****.

He definitely got his jollies by being able tell people he was "tight" with a major college basketball coach. The moment he felt like he was falling out of favor, he lashed out. In that interview, he was clearly perturbed that the whole birthday thing made him a laughingstock. The threat that he's got a lot more dirt is clearly desperation.

As soon as his moment in the spotlight is gone in 48 hours, he'll realize that's he's a pariah rather than a hero. In his demented mind, he thinks that CJP is going to come crawling back begging for his forgiveness. He's sadly mistaken.

CJP has learned a valuable lesson, so hopefully he can move forward and it ends up as a minor footnote in his career.

gtzulu

Georgia Tech Fan
Some serious, constructive advice for Ron after listening to his Gary Parrish interview. Ron ought to adopt some foreign kids, or support some somehow. He has clearly been obsessed with Pastner and our basketball team, and he'll need something to replace that part of his life now that he's an outcast. It also seems like some of the players were children to him. He and his wife were probably filling a psychological void from not having their own children. So, Ron, find some actual children who need help! You can move on and do something positive with your life.