Player suspensions

crut

Helluva Engineer
I still wouldn't have taken it without calling a coach, but this is slightly less straightforward in the sense that this guy was not a booster or staff. My understanding is that technically speaking that is who you can't receive benefits from.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer

one other thought on this and I spoke to it somewhat earler, Parrish is very smart. I dont always agree with him but he is a smart guy and typically even tempered. What I am seeing on twitter right now is really interesting, in the court of public opinion, Ron Bell is losing, big time. Parrish probably knew that would be the case and it would matter little as far as any further punishment. He lost nothing, probably didnt hurt the kids or CJP, and he wins the day for sports columns. The trifecta.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The questions where things could get sticky is did CJP "sanction" in any way the players going to AZ?
What was the enticement to go to AZ beyond just sitting in a pool for a couple of days? Seems weird 2 college kids would want to go to AZ just to sit in a pool.

This is what I worry about.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
If the pic of JO & TJ in the pool are accurate, the "NCAA" has precedent of viewing that as an impermissible benefit. (see, UNLV 1990. Anderson Hunt and others in hot tub with a booster) That incident didn't involve airfare, staying at the booster's house etc. If Bell provided airfare, ground transport, meals and lodging, it's a clear violation. The question will become whether Tech knew, when they knew, who knew etc.

Bottom line, the guy clearly set this all up with one goal in mind. He has to answer for that. Sadly, it looks like he got Josh & Tadric to accept the favors and that may impact their eligibility. That would massively suck for them, but if they took the favors he alleges, they won't have a leg to stand on.

The whole thing sucks.

I am certainly not an NCAA expert, but I think there could be differences in culpability depending on whether Bell is considered to be a "booster" or not. Georgia Tech told the NCAA that bell is not a booster or formally associated with the program. And, to this end, Gary Parish said in his interview today that Bell told him "I am not a Georgia Tech alum. I am not a Georgia Tech fan. I don't care if Georgia Tech ever wins a game. Every violation I committed, I committed for my friend, Josh Pastner."

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Also interesting that Parish said he asked Bell how he chose Okogie and Jackson to give benefits to. Bell responded that you look at the best players. He said he tried to talk to Lammers, but Lammers has never said 4 words to him and had no interest in even looking his way.

That sort of seems to be at odds with Pastner being the one to direct these contacts or telling the players this stuff was okay. If Pastner was telling Okogie and Jackson that all this stuff with Bell was okay, wouldn't he tell Lammers the same thing?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The questions where things could get sticky is did CJP "sanction" in any way the players going to AZ?
What was the enticement to go to AZ beyond just sitting in a pool for a couple of days? Seems weird 2 college kids would want to go to AZ just to sit in a pool.

Maybe it was a typo, but I read somewhere that Bell said the violations occurred between May 2016 and November 2016. Is that correct?

GaTechNation

Georgia Tech Fan
I am talking to someone right now who says that they have something to lessen his credibility. Probably will turn out to be nothing but might as well look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm wondering what college kid would pass up the shot at going to Arizona to laze in what appears to be a pretty nice pool and house? Simple adventures of the young.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
im kind of OK with it right now. Give the guy enough rope to hang himself. Give him a chance to sound like a ****ing lunatic. Horse is out of the barn. Let him build a public profile so people will start digging on him.

GTbball2016

Helluva Engineer
im kind of OK with it right now. Give the guy enough rope to hang himself. Give him a chance to sound like a ****ing lunatic. Horse is out of the barn. Let him build a public profile so people will start digging on him.

Especially with some Memphis fan supposedly having information to discredit Ron

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
Wow this interview... just a completely bad look.

So many threats. A lot of what he is saying is most likely facts but at the same time you can tell how insane this guy is. It's scary.