PJ to Woody?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I want tech to score 30 a game with a modern offense to recruit the athletes. We dont put up 30 against teams like Clemson or Alabama. We would be happy to put up 21. We need to find a way to have top 10 recruiting classes, to be in the top 10 year in and out. Otherwise what are we doing??????

What we are doing is providing an education to young men and teaching them life skills to go out and change the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
What we are doing is providing an education to young men and teaching them life skills to go out and change the world.

GT can do what you say and still compete at a high level if they recruit the whole country and not mainly just the south it’s been done @ GT before and it can be done again .

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
GT can do what you say and still compete at a high level if they recruit the whole country and not mainly just the south it’s been done @ GT before and it can be done again .
I'm not saying you are wrong but when has this been accomplished at GT in the modern era?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I want tech to score 30 a game with a modern offense to recruit the athletes. We dont put up 30 against teams like Clemson or Alabama. We would be happy to put up 21. We need to find a way to have top 10 recruiting classes, to be in the top 10 year in and out. Otherwise what are we doing??????
Dude, no one puts up 30 on them. One team put up 30+ on either of those teams last year. NC state over Clemson. We hold our own pretty well against some good defenses at times. It cracks me up when people point at our offense as the reason when a good D shuts us down...meanwhile they shut down every other air raid and spread offense they face.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Monken runs a more hybrid system. He doesn’t always use it at army, but has. He brings in a Te and i like his passing sets more than cpj. If we were to stick to this system he would be my vote. If not then its all roll of dice with the typical ncaa system

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Dude, no one puts up 30 on them. One team put up 30+ on either of those teams last year. NC state over Clemson. We hold our own pretty well against some good defenses at times. It cracks me up when people point at our offense as the reason when a good D shuts us down...meanwhile they shut down every other air raid and spread offense they face.
Get your ****ty facts out of here. Nobody likes that stuff.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Monken runs a more hybrid system. He doesn’t always use it at army, but has. He brings in a Te and i like his passing sets more than cpj. If we were to stick to this system he would be my vote. If not then its all roll of dice with the typical ncaa system

What he did when he came back to GSU as a HC with a roster not designed for flexbone TO offense was phenomenal. Seamless. And you are right, he diversified it some.

Also, to make a point I’ve made on here before, Willie Fritz then came down here and took that flexbone roster and seamlessly transitioned it into a high powered spread offense with option concepts. He’s another future candidate, to me.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Let's see. The head coach is a mediocre recruiter who'd only real advantage in that department is getting good fits for his offense, too wont have a scout team offense that includes several standard pieces of most offenses you face, you'll get the blame for losses from most of the fanbase regardless of how the game actually goes, and you'll still face also those same challenges people through out to defend Johnson, because they apply just as much to the DC as they do to the head coach. Also, because there are only 9 possessions a blown coverage or missed tackle is a bigger deal because it fewer possessions need to defend is also fewer opportunities for the own offense to score.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the defense. IMO even if the defense gives up a quick score due to blown coverage or missed tackle our offense gets another possession vs. the slow "bend but not break" stuff we have seen the past few years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It will be interesting to see what happens with the defense. IMO even if the defense gives up a quick score due to blown coverage or missed tackle our offense gets another possession vs. the slow "bend but not break" stuff we have seen the past few years.

It's not really that straight forward though. For example, if we would otherwise have gotten the last possession of the first half but one bend but don't break drive becomes a quick hit score, then the extra drive would go to the other team. Obviously it's simplified but the idea that the defense will create more possessions for the offense comes with the caveat that it will also create about the same amount of possessions for the other team. The benefit is in the potential reward of turnovers causing better field positions vs the risk of giving up more quick scores. What worries me is that in the past couple of years we have had a big problem in putting games away, and letting teams we shold beat stick around. To me that is a very dangerous thing to have with a super aggressive defense that could easily let a team get a quick score or two to get right back in the game.

But stylistically I don't think it's a big deal either way. IMO both styles will struggle with the fact that we are practicing against OLmen recruited for blocking for the triple option offense, and coached by coaches brought in to teach it. Ditto, to a lesser extent, with passing QBs, and TEs. I think there is a hope that the scheme will take care of that by itself, but I don't really buy it.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
It's not really that straight forward though. For example, if we would otherwise have gotten the last possession of the first half but one bend but don't break drive becomes a quick hit score, then the extra drive would go to the other team. Obviously it's simplified but the idea that the defense will create more possessions for the offense comes with the caveat that it will also create about the same amount of possessions for the other team. The benefit is in the potential reward of turnovers causing better field positions vs the risk of giving up more quick scores. What worries me is that in the past couple of years we have had a big problem in putting games away, and letting teams we shold beat stick around. To me that is a very dangerous thing to have with a super aggressive defense that could easily let a team get a quick score or two to get right back in the game.

But stylistically I don't think it's a big deal either way. IMO both styles will struggle with the fact that we are practicing against OLmen recruited for blocking for the triple option offense, and coached by coaches brought in to teach it. Ditto, to a lesser extent, with passing QBs, and TEs. I think there is a hope that the scheme will take care of that by itself, but I don't really buy it.
I don't agree with you, but it's a well constructed, reasonable argument and I can respect your view point

TimHarrio35

Georgia Tech Fan
I would like to stay with the offense and Coach Lamar Owens has been with CPJ his whole time here at Tech. Played QB at naval academy and is one of our best recruiters. I want CPJ to be here for 10 more years though