PJ to Woody?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Since we're talking hypothetical, I was kind of hoping that Saban, Meyer, or even Jimbo would decide that they want to retire in Atlanta. They show up and work hand-in-hand with the AD to launch a massive fund-raising campaign that catapults Tech into the top-5 in AA budgets and we start landing top-10 recruiting classes year in and year out. Our fifth NC comes in year three, followed by a sixth in year five. Seeing what's going on in their vicinity, Georgia panics and goes through 4 coaches in five years, suffering their first winless season in school history, including a crushing 8-7 loss to Samford in which Samford wins uga the dog in a bet between the AD's of each school. We continue to dominate for a decade, beating Georgia nine times in ten years with the lone other game being a vacated win as the result of a Georgia fan dressed as a Tech fan entrapping our third string QB by stuffing an envelop full of cash into his backpack prior to the game. His participation in a single garbage time play with 30 seconds remaining in the 70-3 victory causes the NCAA to rule that we won due to the participation of ineligible players.

Sound fun to anyone else?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
If our defense becomes a strength in the next few years, then I could see Woody getting an interview. That's still a big "if" even though I'm optimistic. Personally, I suspect we will pull from the ranks of G5 up and coming HC's when the time comes. If our offense continues to do well, I do think that TO disciples will get consideration, whether it be Ken, Monken or Bohannon, but I don't think Stansbury is married to the offense, either.

As I have said many times, this offense is Georgia Tech. Let's not dream we can out recruit Clemson and Alabama. I think when CPJ retires the next head coach will be Jeff Monken or maybe Candeto.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I don't see it because of age. Woody is 57 now, which means he'll be 60 when CPJ leaves at the earliest. That would make him already one of the oldest active coaches immediately and it'd be his first HC gig.

Personally, I like the flexbone and I love that it gives us an identity (very important for branding). But I'm not convinced that we cannot win without it. I would like to hire whoever is best available and not just limit ourselves to someone who runs the offense. Ideally hire someone who is like Mark Dantonio in style, maybe from his coaching tree. I think Michigan State faces similar challenges to us in the form of being a smaller fish surrounded by massive blue blood sharks, but he's built an amazing program up there.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't we dream of the potential of a Head Coach Ted Roof only a few years back? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think if we start winning like we are capable of (and I expect) CPJ could be around another 5 years. I think he would really enjoy succeeding when everyone doubts him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't see it because of age. Woody is 57 now, which means he'll be 60 when CPJ leaves at the earliest. That would make him already one of the oldest active coaches immediately and it'd be his first HC gig.

Personally, I like the flexbone and I love that it gives us an identity (very important for branding). But I'm not convinced that we cannot win without it. I would like to hire whoever is best available and not just limit ourselves to someone who runs the offense. Ideally hire someone who is like Mark Dantonio in style, maybe from his coaching tree. I think Michigan State faces similar challenges to us in the form of being a smaller fish surrounded by massive blue blood sharks, but he's built an amazing program up there.

Yes. I like our offense a lot, but we shouldn't limit ourselves to only a small handful of coaching candidates. There are many ways to build a successful program and we should consider them all.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Program vision and management is quite different than running a side of the ball. We haven't even had a game with Woody yet.

From looking at his career progression, Woody has been careful on what jobs he took. He's had offers in the past for P5 D coordinator, and he didn't take it. It appears he's comfortable with CPJ right now. I don't know that we know his full aspirations. He could be a Venables who just wants to call a kick %@! defense on a weekly basis.

Bohannon won't get the job for the same reason Muschamp didn't. I get the feeling we'll do a good search and find the right guy for the challenge. I'll let us get to that bridge before speculation, because there's a lot of situationalness to coaching searches.

Program vision and management is quite different than running a side of the ball. We haven't even had a game with Woody yet.

From looking at his career progression, Woody has been careful on what jobs he took. He's had offers in the past for P5 D coordinator, and he didn't take it. It appears he's comfortable with CPJ right now. I don't know that we know his full aspirations. He could be a Venables who just wants to call a kick %@! defense on a weekly basis.

Bohannon won't get the job for the same reason Muschamp didn't. I get the feeling we'll do a good search and find the right guy for the challenge. I'll let us get to that bridge before speculation, because there's a lot of situationalness to coaching searches.

So why wouldn't a D coordinator love coming to Tech. Let's see, you need to have your defense stop the other team and by the way, the other team only gets the ball 9-10 times a game and there are times your D is on the sidelines 9-10 minutes........hmmmmmm

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Since we're talking hypothetical, I was kind of hoping that Saban, Meyer, or even Jimbo would decide that they want to retire in Atlanta. They show up and work hand-in-hand with the AD to launch a massive fund-raising campaign that catapults Tech into the top-5 in AA budgets and we start landing top-10 recruiting classes year in and year out. Our fifth NC comes in year three, followed by a sixth in year five. Seeing what's going on in their vicinity, Georgia panics and goes through 4 coaches in five years, suffering their first winless season in school history, including a crushing 8-7 loss to Samford in which Samford wins uga the dog in a bet between the AD's of each school. We continue to dominate for a decade, beating Georgia nine times in ten years with the lone other game being a vacated win as the result of a Georgia fan dressed as a Tech fan entrapping our third string QB by stuffing an envelop full of cash into his backpack prior to the game. His participation in a single garbage time play with 30 seconds remaining in the 70-3 victory causes the NCAA to rule that we won due to the participation of ineligible players.

Sound fun to anyone else?
That would be pretty remarkable...

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No way a Bama coordinator would come to GT. Number one, we cannot pay for him... number two why come to GT with the education anchor.

We can get an up and coming for a year or two that is willing to take a chance on ruining his name due to disadvantages or a retread that wants to try again.

We are not the prettiest girl at the dance and although we hang with some great looking girls... we are the one with a great personality.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
First lets see how things work out with our defense and if he likes it here believe it or not all coach want to coach here. Also he will be 58 this year in a few more years we may want a younger coach.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
As I have said many times, this offense is Georgia Tech. Let's not dream we can out recruit Clemson and Alabama. I think when CPJ retires the next head coach will be Jeff Monken or maybe Candeto.

This is not singling you out, but I wish our fans would take a look at the college football landscape outside of GT. GT isn't the only school that runs an offense that "does more with less". There's a bunch of good coaches at non-P5 schools running offenses that would do well here. Until he got to Penn State, who the heck heard of Joe Moorhead (now the HC at Miss State)? Lincoln Riley was better known as a former Mike Leach backup QB than an OC at East Carolina before going to Oklahoma.

The irony of when people say GT isn't Clemson or Alabama is both those schools run offenses that heavily rely on concepts that stem from coaches who at one time had to out scheme opponents due to lack of talent. You guys remember Saban's famous rant a few years ago when 'Bama lost to Texas A&M and Johnny Football and the no huddle spread attack? Well, fast forward a few years later, and Saban is running HUNH with spread concepts. If you can't beat them, join them, right? Clemson borrows heavily from Chad Morris's offense...who left to go to SMU. Morris was a HS coach not too long ago who made his bones at the lower levels of Texas HS. He had to come up with a scheme that could compete with the bigger schools...which he did and later became a HC at a Texas powerhouse. Then he became an OC at Tulsa. Only the biggest football nerds heard of Morris before Clemson.

Point is, when the time comes for CPJ to leave, I would worry more about the right fit and the next guy's vision for GT football rather than whether they will run CPJ's offense.

slugboy

Staff member
This is not singling you out, but I wish our fans would take a look at the college football landscape outside of GT. GT isn't the only school that runs an offense that "does more with less". There's a bunch of good coaches at non-P5 schools running offenses that would do well here. Until he got to Penn State, who the heck heard of Joe Moorhead (now the HC at Miss State)? Lincoln Riley was better known as a former Mike Leach backup QB than an OC at East Carolina before going to Oklahoma. ...

Or Scott Frost (now at Nebraska). I like what CPJ does on offense. There are others who can make a difference too. I'm in no rush to see him retire, though.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
So why wouldn't a D coordinator love coming to Tech. Let's see, you need to have your defense stop the other team and by the way, the other team only gets the ball 9-10 times a game and there are times your D is on the sidelines 9-10 minutes........hmmmmmm

I would say money first (although we've paid for DCs in the recent past) and if your scheme requires outathleting vs creating situations conducive to success.

Wommack got a step up coming to us. Groh probably didn't realize the 2nd was an issue (and he kind of became a dinosaur). Roof got the first, but didn't seem to get the 2nd regularly.

People sometimes forget that Venables was run out of town slightly at Oklahoma, partially because Stoops wanted to give his brother a job.

In all honesty, I'm hoping we get to hold onto Woody for a while. I get the feeling if he has success here, the factories will back up a truck for him. I kind of wonder what situation we would be in now if we had hired Elko when we hired Roof.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Or Scott Frost (now at Nebraska). I like what CPJ does on offense. There are others who can make a difference too. I'm in no rush to see him retire, though.

LOL...sounds like I'm just a tad bit older than you. I actually remember Scott Frost running Tom Osborne's devastating option attack at Nebraska.