PJ to Woody?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I want tech to score 30 a game with a modern offense to recruit the athletes. We dont put up 30 against teams like Clemson or Alabama. We would be happy to put up 21. We need to find a way to have top 10 recruiting classes, to be in the top 10 year in and out. Otherwise what are we doing??????

That'd be simple... let all of the degrees, requirements and classes that are available in Athens be available at GT and we'd be at least Top 20 regularly and Top Ten fairly regularly.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
That'd be simple... let all of the degrees, requirements and classes that are available in Athens be available at GT and we'd be at least Top 20 regularly and Top Ten fairly regularly.

Done sign me up lolol. I wouldn't say go that far, but I would say loosen it up a little.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I want tech to score 30 a game with a modern offense to recruit the athletes. We dont put up 30 against teams like Clemson or Alabama. We would be happy to put up 21. We need to find a way to have top 10 recruiting classes, to be in the top 10 year in and out. Otherwise what are we doing??????

Gotcha. Like the Gailey years.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
We'll never be top 10 in recruiting. CPJ has talked about this a bit and mentioned that the same group of schools make up the top eschelon of recruiting and if a school breaks into that group they're likely cheating (referencing Ole Miss). But we don't need to be top 10. I think top 35 every year is obtainable and would make us a yearly ACC contender. Keep in mind Wisconsin has averaged the 37th ranked class the last 4 years and they're always competing for the Big 10 and/or playoff. Similarly Oklahoma State (average 39th) and Michigan State (average 25th) have run consistently good programs with lesser talent. For reference, we've averaged 50th the last four years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Stanford, Brad Stewart, Dxxx Coach, Recruit local verses other large cities, The Hill......
ALL SAME OLD SUBJECTS FOR END OF SEASON.

IN 48 HOURS SAME OLD IN SEASON SUBJECTS. Longest day. , More/less blitzing, Do/dont pass on n first down, Se kind string qb needs to play, how did we loose to Duke again, Dxxx kicker...

Toe meets leather please hurry.

Jmonty71

Banned
Does anyone see a possibility if the defense has a good couple years. We finish in the top 2 in the coastal and Johnson feels he's growing tired of the long schedule of being coach. That Woody would be our new HC?

I hate looking to the future, but I can see him as a head coach, I'm curious if he succeeds here that he doesn't have a head coaching position in 3 years.
As long as he keep the same principals in order, keeps the kids on the up and up and gets some winning into the mix, I'm good.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
We'll never be top 10 in recruiting. CPJ has talked about this a bit and mentioned that the same group of schools make up the top eschelon of recruiting and if a school breaks into that group they're likely cheating (referencing Ole Miss). But we don't need to be top 10. I think top 35 every year is obtainable and would make us a yearly ACC contender. Keep in mind Wisconsin has averaged the 37th ranked class the last 4 years and they're always competing for the Big 10 and/or playoff. Similarly Oklahoma State (average 39th) and Michigan State (average 25th) have run consistently good programs with lesser talent. For reference, we've averaged 50th the last four years.

Yeah, but we want to develop dominance. It wasn't too long ago that bama was midtier

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck

Going to the Orange Bowl x2, more than we had in the previous 40 years
Win the ACC x1, going to the championship x3
Graduating players
Currently 2-2 vs top 10 recruiting UGA in the last 4 years.

And playing Alcorn St. on Saturday.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
This question is insanely premature, but if Nate Woody is being considered for HC jobs when Paul Johnson retires then that'll mean we've looked DAMN good on that side of the ball, and paired with our consistently powerful offense will result in some really good teams...like playoffs good. If that happens, then hell yeah I'd be happy with Woody taking over. But yeah, this is definitely speculative and premature.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
When PJ goes, I'd imagine we stick with the option or go to Air Raid. Personally, I think Air Raid is more entertaining.

Something to consider: Option football is team play. Air Raid is all on the ability of the QB. Since we do not and probably are not capable of recruiting 5 star QBs, we may be better off playing team ball. Air Raid may not be so entertaining with our level of recruits.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something to consider: Option football is team play. Air Raid is all on the ability of the QB. Since we do not and probably are not capable of recruiting 5 star QBs, we may be better off playing team ball. Air Raid may not be so entertaining with our level of recruits.

Leach made his living off of "coaching up" 2/3 star QBs. Don't forget, Baker Mayfield was a walk on at Texas Tech under Kingsbury who also runs the Air Raid. If you look at Leach's and Kingsburys QBs, they weren't always top recruits.

I would argue that it's much easier to find good passing QBs these days as opposed to finding good pure option QBs. Spread passing offenses are so prolific at the high school level. Locally, the state of GA has produced a good pool of elite guys in the last 5 years.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer

I don’t believe GT will get a top 25 class with CPJ.
1. He’s not a strong recruiter in general
2. His offense won’t attract that type of player

When I say that type of player I mean the 4* that’s hyped up from services and getting pushed by CFB coaches on how they will get to the NFL. I’m Not referring to talent level.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Wayyyyyy too much speculation here in this thread, folks.

“The future ain’t what it used to be.” —Yogi Berra

Seriously! Can we at least give the man a couple years and see how he does as GT’s dc before we annoint him as our next head ballcoach?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Seriously! Can we at least give the man a couple years and see how he does as GT’s dc before we annoint him as our next head ballcoach?

Nah, man. If we can beat Alcorn State, Woody deserves a 7 year $100 million contract extension that automatically rolls over every year. In addition we should name him coach in waiting till the 3rd game when we fire CPJ at half time and name CNW HC. When we're finished with the third game, CNW should get a statue thats built next to Heisman and given a lifetime contract.