PJ presser

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And that brings up the player rankings. King had higher PAT percentage, higher FG percentage, longer made field goal in HS. King had fewer misses on PATs with almost double the attempts. King had half as many FG misses with about 50% more attempts. JB was 30% on FGs his senior year with a long of 37. King was 80% on FGs his senior year with a long of 56. How does a ranking service put JB above King?

Camps and offer sheets.

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
So only making 1/3 of your FGs and only making 30/36 PATs in real games is fine as long as you can impress people who run for profit kicking camps?

It is possible that every miss he had was because of the long snapper or the holder. However King was 62 of 64 on PATs. He was 11 of 14 on FGs with a long of 56. Those are pretty good stats for a hs kicker. JB's not so much. If JB is as good a kicker as the ratings sure say, why did it not transfer to the field in HS?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
From your mouth to God's ears. Let's home last year was an anomaly due to injury for BK.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
So only making 1/3 of your FGs and only making 30/36 PATs in real games is fine as long as you can impress people who run for profit kicking camps?

It is possible that every miss he had was because of the long snapper or the holder. However King was 62 of 64 on PATs. He was 11 of 14 on FGs with a long of 56. Those are pretty good stats for a hs kicker. JB's not so much. If JB is as good a kicker as the ratings sure say, why did it not transfer to the field in HS?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You already answered this question yourself but then asked the question again. Different holders, different snappers, different blockers, different competition.

Were the rules of the game the same for both? Did both kick fg from a tee? I honestly don’t know but there are a lot more variables in makes and misses than just kicking talent.

But are kicker recruiting rankings accurate? Nah.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
You already answered this question yourself but then asked the question again. Different holders, different snappers, different blockers, different competition.

Were the rules of the game the same for both? Did both kick fg from a tee? I honestly don’t know but there are a lot more variables in makes and misses than just kicking talent.

But are kicker recruiting rankings accurate? Nah.

BK had very impressive numbers in HS. Even if every snap and every hold are perfect, 62/64 in PATs and 80% FGs with a long of 56 is outstanding for a HS player. You can't get numbers like that in HS being an average kicker.

If a kicker does not use a tee in HS to kick FGs, he is putting his desire to prove things to colleges ahead of his team, which in my opinion is an issue. Discussing tees and HS before, one of the former GT athletes pointed out that HS fields are not as uniformly cut and maintained as NCAA fields. Tees in HS make since for multiple reasons that aren't all about the abilities of the kicker.

I haven't seen JB kick in person, but 33% FGs senior year and 40% FGs sophmore to senior year is not impressive. Seems to me that if he was as great as the ratings sites made him out to be that a HS coach would find somebody/anybody to snap and hold for him. He also did not beat out a less than mediocre kicker at Alabama this year. I'm not trying to put him down, hopefully for him he will prove the ranking guys correct in the next few years. I just haven't seen any evidence myself that would indicate he is better than BK.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
BK had very impressive numbers in HS. Even if every snap and every hold are perfect, 62/64 in PATs and 80% FGs with a long of 56 is outstanding for a HS player. You can't get numbers like that in HS being an average kicker.

If a kicker does not use a tee in HS to kick FGs, he is putting his desire to prove things to colleges ahead of his team, which in my opinion is an issue. Discussing tees and HS before, one of the former GT athletes pointed out that HS fields are not as uniformly cut and maintained as NCAA fields. Tees in HS make since for multiple reasons that aren't all about the abilities of the kicker.

I haven't seen JB kick in person, but 33% FGs senior year and 40% FGs sophmore to senior year is not impressive. Seems to me that if he was as great as the ratings sites made him out to be that a HS coach would find somebody/anybody to snap and hold for him. He also did not beat out a less than mediocre kicker at Alabama this year. I'm not trying to put him down, hopefully for him he will prove the ranking guys correct in the next few years. I just haven't seen any evidence myself that would indicate he is better than BK.

Were we discussing which kicker is actually better or how / why rankings can differ despite on field stats?

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Correct but IMO the bigger point is that CPJ has not played backup QBs in situations where he had an obvious opportunity to do so, if he was so inclined which he does not seem to be.
He played Byerly against Duke in 14, because JeT had our offense bogged down... if Byerly went in a little earlier we would have won the game.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yeah I don’t remember exactly why JeT was hurt, but Byerly and Waller almost brought us back by themselves.
I remember that injurious play very well. Someone made a GIF of it. That guy should have gotten jail time for assault (and his coaches if they coached him to do it). It was totally ironic as well because of Cutcliffe's complaints about us at the time and the "dangers" of cut blocking. If we win that game, we go into the ACCCG as a top 5 against a top 5 FSU and the winner goes to the playoff.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I remember that injurious play very well. Someone made a GIF of it. That guy should have gotten jail time for assault (and his coaches if they coached him to do it). It was totally ironic as well because of Cutcliffe's complaints about us at the time and the "dangers" of cut blocking. If we win that game, we go into the ACCCG as a top 5 against a top 5 FSU and the winner goes to the playoff.
That UNC game gives me nightmares too...we win those two games and the ACCCG plays out the same way, we are still in the playoff, prob as the 4, and ironically the eventual Champs are left out.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I just went through the 14 game looking for it and couldn't find it. You sure it was the 14 game?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Possibly, yeah. The problems at kicker were pathetic and due in large to poor prep and attention in recruiting by the coaching staff. I’m not sure how you can just ignore that position for four years the way we did.

What other position would you just plan on a true frosh stepping in and performing at the level necessary to win? ...and it’s been done several times. Did it with Butker too, and he also missed some big kicks early on (2013 Georgia game, for instance).

The recruiting strategy at kicker should be the same as position players. Recruit backups and replacement years before they are needed and roll them in as upperclassmen when it’s time.

Can it work? Sure... Worth the gamble? Don’t think so...

Easy to argue that it cost us bowl eligibility last year...
Every year dozens of kickers are signed as PWO or sometimes scholarshipped. Every year dozens of them line it up in a stadium that holds 50-60,000 with 11 angry guys with muscles like tree trunks flying at them intending serious bodily harm, and every year it plops at the 12 yard line. The case can be made that recruiting kickers is the biggest gamble a coach takes. It doesn't matter if he has a quick hip turn or large wrists or if he runs a 4.6 40 and his daddy is seven foot tall. Those attributes are projectionable at other positions, but mean nothing for placekickers. His game is in his leg, and in his windpipe, which gives "cotton mouth" a whole new meaning. As Nicklaus said about golf, the game is the 7 inches between his ears.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think it's often due to CPJ's dual role as head coach and offensive coordinator. That's a lot to deal with in real time during a game. I think he is so involved "in the moment" with the offense that he doesn't get a good "macro" view sometimes of how to shake things up, and substitutions suffer as a result.
I do recall one time he was asked about subs, and he said often it was whoever was standing next to him.