PJ presser

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think one (just one) problem with TaQuon is that he's a bit on the small side. He may be our best option, but I hope someone bigger and stronger emerges, and one with a stronger arm. TaQuon is a fast and elusive runner in the open field, but getting there has been a problem. Jackets are fast and elusive in the backfield, but lack the size and strength to break tackles (except at B-back).
JT and Tevin were on the small side and took care of business. Size can help but is truly the least of our concerns.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Backup QBs win what percentage of games?

I rarely expect a backup QB to come in and win a game. I would hope to see a backup play when we are way ahead, hopelessly behind, or when the starting QB is really struggling (like in the rain/mud and when we need to pass a lot). I think our starting QB has proved that a wet field takes away his running skill and he is not effective in a situation requiring a lot of passes especially when the opposition knows you must pass. I agree that playing the backup QB is more for building experience than for pulling out a victory when the game has gotten away from us.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We've got to be able to run the Triple Freakin' Option. And, for me that starts with the OL, the BB, and a QB who can make that read. If we can do that, we'll do well on offense. If we can't, it doesn't matter which QB we choose and how nice he looks throwing in warm-ups. Last year, we had problems running the triple. To me, again, that started with the BB - losing Mills. Mills style was made for our offense. He was going to make a successful play 75% of the time, just by handing off to him with halfway decent blocking. We're looking at 2nd and 4 or 2nd and 5 all day instead of 2nd and 8 or 9. I like Benson, he's an intriguing player with some flashy tools. But, he didn't kill it hitting the hole.

It's like 2014, we got back to success with the triple and had a great year. It helped having JT and Smelter and others, but we had JT in 2015 and Smelter in 2013 and didn't have great years. Running the triple gives everything else a chance to be very successful. It's those consistent 5-6 yard gains that make the 20-40 yard plays possible. They make the defense have to pick their poison instead of dictating to us how we're going to lose. I look forward to seeing a Benson who is more trained to kill the hole for at least a 4 yard gain and often 5-6 as a priority over breaking the 60 yard TD, but still hitting those too because they will come. I also look forward to Howard making me totally forget about Mills. And, I look forward to TQM (probably) being a better operator and distributor of this offense, being more comfortable, and looking better in all facets because the BB and OL are working and he is reading it better. Of course, if we can't block then none of it matters. So, I hope we stay healthy and ball out on the OL and blocking at AB (which is a whole 'nother, no less important conversation, AB blocking wasn't top-shelf last year).

JT and Tevin were on the small side and took care of business. Size can help but is truly the least of our concerns.

The reason backfield size has become more of a factor is because we aren't getting very good play out of our tackles. Were the tackles able to hold the line, a small, elusive backfield would be an advantage. But with the poor tackle play we've seen, small becomes more of a liability. Under these circumstances, we need more beef in the backfield in order to break some tackles and run over some people. That is, unless we fix what ails us on the OL. If we can do that, small and elusive becomes an asset, instead of a liability.

Deleted member 2897

Disclaimer: I only read the first 4 or 5 posts and not the whole 4 pages.

Thought: If not for 2 injured/inconsistent kickers, we would have gone 8-3 last year (wins = TN, MIA, UVA).

Question: I wonder if some of the negative TaQuon nellies would be so strongly in favor of his replacement had we gone 8-3...or if they'd be more like "he's back for his senior year, the sky's the limit!".

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Thought: If not for 2 injured/inconsistent kickers, we would have gone 8-3 last year (wins = TN, MIA, UVA).

Question: I wonder if some of the negative TaQuon nellies would be so strongly in favor of his replacement had we gone 8-3...or if they'd be more like "he's back for his senior year, the sky's the limit!".
After getting blown out by Duke and georgie, I wouldn’t likely be too excited. Maybe a strong bowl performance would have swayed me, but CPJ said himself that we didn’t deserve to go to a bowl game this year.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Against a talented defense, if you can't hit about half of your pass attempts, they'll stack the box and you will have a tough time running and, ultimately, winning. TM is a great wildcat running back, a mediocre distributor in the option game and a poor passer. If TM doesn't show marked improvement in his passing ability, I wouldn't look for marked improvement in our offensive unit.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
It may not happen often but it does happen.

1978 Tech opens up a big lead on the Dwags in the Cesspool. True Freshman Buck Value replaces Jeff Pyburn at QB and leads Dwags to one of their biggest comeback victories over the GOOD GUYS. I looked up Belue's stats as a Freshman. 1 TD pass. Of course had ELI not been lost to injury most right thinking people believe that we would have won that game.

2018 Tua Tagovailoa, a seldom used backup QB, enters National Championship game vs Dawgs in the 2nd half (replacing an uninjured yet ineffctive starter) with Alabama in a deep hole and leads the Tide to a huge (and most satisfying for this Tech fan) comeback win over the Dwags.

2018 Nick Foles who had spent the majority of his NFL career in a backup role, replaces the starter who is lost to injury. He loses a couple of games to finish out the regular season. They adjust the offensive play calling during 1st round playoff bye to match his skill set. Eagles go on to win 3 in a row as underdogs, including SB-LII, and Foles takes home the SB-MVP.
The reason ELI got hurt was the crooked basterds twisted his ankle after the great Vince the prince told them to F—- them BASTARDS it still makes me mad as hell!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Possibly, yeah. The problems at kicker were pathetic and due in large to poor prep and attention in recruiting by the coaching staff. I’m not sure how you can just ignore that position for four years the way we did.

What other position would you just plan on a true frosh stepping in and performing at the level necessary to win? ...and it’s been done several times. Did it with Butker too, and he also missed some big kicks early on (2013 Georgia game, for instance).

The recruiting strategy at kicker should be the same as position players. Recruit backups and replacement years before they are needed and roll them in as upperclassmen when it’s time.

Can it work? Sure... Worth the gamble? Don’t think so...

Easy to argue that it cost us bowl eligibility last year...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
The recruiting strategy at kicker should be the same as position players. Recruit backups and replacement years before they are needed and roll them in as upperclassmen when it’s time.

If we had two scholarship kickers at the same time people on here were go ballistic for that also. When we only have one scholarship kickers people on here go ballistic. So, having only one scholarship kickers is stupid, but spending two scholarships on kickers is stupid also? Seems to me that no matter what the coaches do people think they are clueless.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Possibly, yeah. The problems at kicker were pathetic and due in large to poor prep and attention in recruiting by the coaching staff. I’m not sure how you can just ignore that position for four years the way we did.

What other position would you just plan on a true frosh stepping in and performing at the level necessary to win? ...and it’s been done several times. Did it with Butker too, and he also missed some big kicks early on (2013 Georgia game, for instance).

More than one scholarship kicker would be a hard sell. GT not having a soccer team makes it tough to get good walk on kickers.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
If we had two scholarship kickers at the same time people on here were go ballistic for that also. When we only have one scholarship kickers people on here go ballistic. So, having only one scholarship kickers is stupid, but spending two scholarships on kickers is stupid also? Seems to me that no matter what the coaches do people think they are clueless.

People who think it’s a waste are the ones that need to wake up. It’s a critical part of the game that is ignored.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
More than one scholarship kicker would be a hard sell. GT not having a soccer team makes it tough to get good walk on kickers.
Wouldn’t be that hard to sell if you always had a guy booting it out of the end zone and make 50+ yard field goals.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

We had the #1 kicker in the country committed for a very long time before he chose to take a pwo at Bama just b4 signing day.

Is that the coaches fault?

They had a backup plan and gave that scholly to another kicker. That backup didn’t pan out due to either ability or possibly injury. Oh yeah...we also utilized a walk on during the season to get the best result possible.

Was that the coaches fault? If yes to either question please advise of us the obvious fix so we can forward it to CPJ.

Or maybe sometimes :poop: just happens.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We will never know how good or bad our other QB's are unless he plays them. I have been totally disappointed by how PJ has handled his QB situation. He's the guy that heading into the season said that all 4 were starters. He had opportunities last year to play LJ - duke game - and didn't. He has created his own catch 22.
I sorta agree with this. I think Coach is less likely to bring in an inexperienced QB if he thinks we have a chance to win a game. We were so very, very close in several games last year that I'm not surprised that LJ didn't see the field. He really wants to win.

The Duke game was the one outlier; I thought we should have seen LJ in the 4th in that game. But I wasn't on the sidelines or at practice. Coach was.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
We had the #1 kicker in the country committed for a very long time before he chose to take a pwo at Bama just b4 signing day.

Is that the coaches fault?

They had a backup plan and gave that scholly to another kicker. That backup didn’t pan out due to either ability or possibly injury. Oh yeah...we also utilized a walk on during the season to get the best result possible.

Was that the coaches fault? If yes to either question please advise of us the obvious fix so we can forward it to CPJ.

Or maybe sometimes :poop: just happens.

And that brings up the player rankings. King had higher PAT percentage, higher FG percentage, longer made field goal in HS. King had fewer misses on PATs with almost double the attempts. King had half as many FG misses with about 50% more attempts. JB was 30% on FGs his senior year with a long of 37. King was 80% on FGs his senior year with a long of 56. How does a ranking service put JB above King?

furant

Jolly Good Fellow
And that brings up the player rankings. King had higher PAT percentage, higher FG percentage, longer made field goal in HS. King had fewer misses on PATs with almost double the attempts. King had half as many FG misses with about 50% more attempts. JB was 30% on FGs his senior year with a long of 37. King was 80% on FGs his senior year with a long of 56. How does a ranking service put JB above King?
Kicking camps. They assess them in different pressure situations. It's actually probably slightly more apples to apples than stats.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

There's probably not a team in the country that has more than 1 scholly placekicker on the roster at one time (not counting the one year promotions of walk ons). PJ has pretty much always has WO/PWO that have been designated backups. That's about the best you can expect at this level.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Kicking camps. They assess them in different pressure situations. It's actually probably slightly more apples to apples than stats.
So only making 1/3 of your FGs and only making 30/36 PATs in real games is fine as long as you can impress people who run for profit kicking camps?

It is possible that every miss he had was because of the long snapper or the holder. However King was 62 of 64 on PATs. He was 11 of 14 on FGs with a long of 56. Those are pretty good stats for a hs kicker. JB's not so much. If JB is as good a kicker as the ratings sure say, why did it not transfer to the field in HS?