PJ presser

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like coach speak to me. Other than the one season with Vad Lee, when have you seen a 2nd QB play under CPJ at Tech?
Two years with Vad. One of Vad spelling Tevin and the other of JT spelling Vad.

Also may have been because of injuries but Jaybo played a decent bit for a backup.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

Also may have been because of injuries but Jaybo played a decent bit for a backup.

Correct but IMO the bigger point is that CPJ has not played backup QBs in situations where he had an obvious opportunity to do so, if he was so inclined which he does not seem to be.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

He has also played backups in almost at the goal line situations. Somewhat for bigger size to pound in there, but likely also to keep the starter from having to take the wear of the pounding.

In blow out situations, the backups to get playing time. Some people might think it is too late in the game, but I have seen HS games where backups were put in late in the third quarter and the team lost a 21 point lead. When the starters were put back in, they had already winded down and could not stop the come back.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so here is what 2018 looks like to me. We start with a an easy game, good. USF will be down because they lost 90% of their offense. Well I could go on about schedule etc but here is what I see in our team.
1. TM is now a second year starter and he is explosive
2. Benson is a second year starter and look for Howard to add more
3. We are very good at A back with three returning.
4. O line might be a bit thin but the guys we have are good. If the guy from Ole Miss can play it helps.
5. Our kickers are now older and stronger
6. we may have the best punter in the nation.
7. Get ready for a Defense that may give up a big play or two but look for them to create havoc and give CPJ 2 extra possessions per game.

Nice ... Thanks for getting me pumped-up.
Somewhat obviously the key is #1 ... I totally bought in to TM after the UT game and hope he shows us more of that in 2018.
He must improve his passing, but I think he has all the other tools and attitude to be a great player and team leader ...

WrongShadeOfGold

Jolly Good Fellow

Jaybo played exclusively because of injury to Nesbitt (broken arm at VT). JT hardly played the year Vad started. JT had 17 pass attempts and 33 rush attempts that year...hardly a two qb rotation. Bottom line, CPJ is reluctant to play the backup qb. Whether that is smart or arrogant is up for debate.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Jaybo played exclusively because of injury to Nesbitt (broken arm at VT). JT hardly played the year Vad started. JT had 17 pass attempts and 33 rush attempts that year...hardly a two qb rotation. Bottom line, CPJ is reluctant to play the backup qb. Whether that is smart or arrogant is up for debate.
Wrong - nice post.
Didnt realize how little j t playeed as a back up.
Debating a point that questions coach gets pretty pointed.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He has only used a bigger QB in goal line situations for JT. He might have done it last year if MJ hadn't been injured. He obviously did not feel LJ had the experience for goal line situations.

Correct but IMO the bigger point is that CPJ has not played backup QBs in situations where he had an obvious opportunity to do so, if he was so inclined which he does not seem to be.
So normally a backup only plays on injury, blow out, either way. Tell me what game in 2017 was a blow out except maybe the UGA game. Even when we had a good lead on North Carolina, with our penchant to have teams come back, thanks to defense, CPJ would not take that chance.

That was in 2008. Nesbit didn’t break his arm against VT until 2010 and pretty sure jaybo had already transferred out by then. Tevin took over after Nesbit broke his arm
Nesbitt started the game but went out with a pulled hamstring. Jaybo started and played the entire Duke game. Then he got injured and we played our 3rd string QB against Gardner Webb, and almost lost the game.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt started the game but went out with a pulled hamstring. Jaybo started and played the entire Duke game. Then he got injured and we played our 3rd string QB against Gardner Webb, and almost lost the game.
Roddy shared that story on a broadcast this year and said that in practice earlier in the year CPJ was yelling at Calvin and said “if you ever find yourself in the game call timeout because some coach f****ed up” so the joke before the Gardner Webb game was Booker was gonna call TO the first play of the game.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
JT's lack of mop up duty as a RS Freshman clearly did not impact his sophomore season.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
JT's lack of mop up duty as a RS Freshman clearly did not impact his sophomore season.
He was way better at end of season. Guy was special. He could be rolling out and see smelter begin to break and jt would stop and pop a quick (non text book) pass for wide open clutch pass ( VT , GS ).

Come on gt qb - who ever u are make some PLAYS

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ will play a backup QB if he trusts him to contribute.

I'm thinking of Jaybo at the start of the 2nd half vs georgie. It didn't work, but I think most of us knew why CPJ thought it might.

The fact is that we have rarely had a 2nd string QB who was good enough. Matthew Jordan came in and did pretty well against vpi. Who wants to say they think JT should've been benched in a close game to give him more snaps?