Pittsburgh

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe it is Scherer. You're right on Curry and I thought that he had a great game except for those 2 pitches. He did what an ace is supposed to do though and on a day where he didn't have his A+ stuff, he kept us in the game.

Thank you! http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=58120 I knew he was a catcher for us a while back. Nick is great as an announcer since he talks about the game from a catcher's perspective and is honest about the pitchers on both teams.

And as Nick pointed out during the game, Curry had more than those 2 pitches in the danger zone. Pitt just didn't punish Curry the way a great hitting team like NC State or L'Ville would. But Curry was good, just not great. Like I said, I'm getting spoiled fast by our recent starting pitching success.

And we have all relievers available today other than Archer. I expect one of the next two games we will get 10+ runs. The other 3 or less. Just the way we roll .........

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Baseball is weird. Their starter last night had an ERA of over 10.00 entering the game, and we couldn't touch him. Their reliever had 5 saves and a 1.88 ERA going into last night's game, and we hammered him. Just...weird.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Baseball is weird. Their starter last night had an ERA of over 10.00 entering the game, and we couldn't touch him. Their reliever had 5 saves and a 1.88 ERA going into last night's game, and we hammered him. Just...weird.
Their starter pitched in the Cape Cod League as a Soph., you are good if you pitch in that league. He had gotten off to a bad start and yesterday was his first warm day to pitch. Last week vs Duke he did not retire a batter and probably inflated his ERA.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That was a monster hit. And a f u bat flip. Along with some attitude when McCann was greeted by the team.

Love it.

I was going to ask what got the GT dugout the warning in the 9th. But I think I know. Bad attitude. Keep it up(y)
Nothing like a little bit of awesome to get us off to a good start for the weekend after a fairly crappy week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Really wondering if somehow Pitt would be happy to see Game 3 rained out. They might fell better about their chances against a Miami, Notre Dame and Louisville than against us?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Their starter pitched in the Cape Cod League as a Soph., you are good if you pitch in that league. He had gotten off to a bad start and yesterday was his first warm day to pitch. Last week vs Duke he did not retire a batter and probably inflated his ERA.
Thanks for the info. That makes MUCH more sense now. I agree, to play in the Cape, you gotta be pretty good.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for the info. That makes MUCH more sense now. I agree, to play in the Cape, you gotta be pretty good.

Here are out pitchers who have pitched in Cape Cod:
2017 Gibson
2016 None
2015 Gold, King, Parr, Ryan
2014 None
2013 None
2012 Evans, Isaacs, Palka, Pitts
2011 Bard, Davies, Farmer, Grimes, Palka, Smelter
2010 Bard, Bradley, Davies, Pope
2009 Brewster, Cumpton, Pope

So I agree you may turn out to be a good pitcher for GT if you are in Cape Cod. It also appears that either 1) Cape Cod and summer ball used to be more popular for our players or 2) our pitchers aren't as good relative to other teams. I kind of think it's more the former. I think it is more important to get rest and more controlled work outs than develop your game in a league. Just an opinion without facts. I know I'm biased by my most recent experiences; Gibson isn't doing well this year with a 5.79 ERA (14.0 IP) and wasn't that good last year 8.10 ERA in 36.2 IP.