Pittsburgh Postgame

Jmonty71

Banned
That tipped ball should of never happened. The purpose of that crappy zone is to keep things in front of you. How did they let someone blow by them? Bad coaching. Bad, bad, bad coaching. Roof may be able to recruit, but his an idiot as a DC.

I am still shaking my head over the whole thing . The "manager" guy the came down the second time was clueless. He even suggested I watch the plays on the big screen. I looked at him and said "If I wanted to watch it on TV I would have stayed home". I kept asking him to cite the rule that said standing was prohibited except between plays. He kept trying to change it back to "others had complained". I said I didn't care, what rule says you cannot stand. The look on his face was that he had never been challenged before.....he ended up walking away. The Pitt fans sitting next to me said thank you for standing up to them.....that it was no wonder they could not fill the stadium when jerks like that just want everyone sitting on their hands.
LOL. Too funny. Interesting that you actually got support from some Pitt fans

That tipped ball should of never happened. The purpose of that crappy zone is to keep things in front of you. How did they let someone blow by them? Bad coaching. Bad, bad, bad coaching. Roof may be able to recruit, but his an idiot as a DC.
Pitt was guilty of holding on the play, but it wasn't called, even though it was right in front of the ref.

Animal02

Banned
Pitt was guilty of holding on the play, but it wasn't called, even though it was right in front of the ref.
There was one woman who said she had bad knees and couldn't stand...I told her next time to get handicap seats. When they left, she was sort of prancing out. My future son in law turn and yelled at her "Those knees don't look so bad now". I think I like that kid.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is even though the kick was inches away from missing, the penalty on us would have allowed them to kick it again anyway. Would have just twisted the knife if he had missed it and gotten another try.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If I never see another jet sweep, it will still be too soon. Just once I saw our DE take a step up the field and make a play.
Its time to give 42 some rest. He just runs right into tackle w head down. Sorry, e en though a favorite, if we arent going to let him try to rush aroundcthe tackle, its time to get bigger guy in that spot

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Going for it on 4th on that part of the field was stupid. At the 50, sure, but not at your own 34. If we are down, sure, I get it...but you can't leave them in field goal range if you miss. Sure, the way our defense was playing we were probably going to let them drive back into range, but at least it would have been a longer kick...against a ST unit that has been one of the best at blocking kicks in the last several years.

Paul got stubborn and made a stupid call on this one.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, in spite of all the extra restrictions Paul Johnson has had to face as GA Tech's Head Football Coach, as compared to his predecessors, he's still won at a success level we haven't seen since Coach Bobby Dodd when looking at Division and Conference Championships as well as 9/10 win seasons.

There's no doubt we're in a bit of a rough patch, but even the best Head Coaches had Teams go through them for various reason (last year we had more than our fair share of injuries and still, the Team never quit fighting, and we were within one score of winning most of those losses).

This year, we have lost to two Top 10 Teams and lost to a third team on a last-second FG. Catch your breath, people, things may not be quite as bad as many of you may be making it if you really look at at things objectively.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
This one hurts for a lot of reasons. I don't even think about how our final record is impacted. I'm just miffed we are 0-1 this weekend. We really need to go 1-0 next weekend, then we can take it from there.

A few thoughts:
This is the first game our defense didn't really play well enough to give us a good chance to win. I never really believed we would go the entire season without having a game like this happen to them. It happens. It hurts when it happens.

When the time came for the 4th and 1, I was yelling at the TV emploring CPJ to go for it. I am so glad he did and I stand behind his decision 100%. This is the way I look at it: you have to play to win. Playing not to lose doesn't sit well with me. You have to try and control the outcome if you can. Truthfully, in my mind, we weren't likely to win without making that first down whether we punted or not. Our defense was gassed and not playing well. Our offense was moving the ball well most of the day despite not having the ball as often as one would like. In my estimation we were a 90% chance to convert and a 75% chance to not stop them if we punted. I'll bet if you surveyed the crowd on that 4th and 1 at the instant we lined up to run that play (whether PITT fan or TECH) and asked who was in better position to win the game? The answer would be for TECH. We can second guess the play call, whatever. Generally speaking I like the call to give #26 the ball there. I don't take much solace coming back after a play fails and second guessing the decision. Unless you were specifically calling for a different play before the ball was snapped, don't even talk to me.

As in most close games, there were a handful of plays that swung the outcome. These are the four that come most quickly to my mind (other than 4th and 1):
1. MLD's drop on the first down throw.
2. LA's drop on the pick 6.
3. CG failing to tip the ball away.
4. Doink! Good. instead of doink! no good.
Tip pass for a touchdown and a Field goal that hits the upright and goes in...tough to swallow...I feel bad for the team...they played hard... hopefully the upcoming competition is more comparable (vs. top 20) and we continue to play hard

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is even though the kick was inches away from missing, the penalty on us would have allowed them to kick it again anyway. Would have just twisted the knife if he had missed it and gotten another try.

On the replay it looked like the kicker saw it hit the post then backed into a GT guy who was on the ground to produce a flop and a flag. Looked like a bogus call.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, in spite of all the extra restrictions Paul Johnson has had to face as GA Tech's Head Football Coach, as compared to his predecessors, he's still won at a success level we haven't seen since Coach Bobby Dodd when looking at Division and Conference Championships as well as 9/10 win seasons.

There's no doubt we're in a bit of a rough patch, but even the best Head Coaches had Teams go through them for various reason (last year we had more than our fair share of injuries and still, the Team never quit fighting, and we were within one score of winning most of those losses).

This year, we have lost to two Top 10 Teams and lost to a third team on a last-second FG. Catch your breath, people, things may not be quite as bad as many of you may be making it if you really look at at things objectively.
I agree still have 6 games to play. This team will not quit . Do wish the D would stop playing soft.

Animal02

Banned
Going for it on 4th on that part of the field was stupid. At the 50, sure, but not at your own 34. If we are down, sure, I get it...but you can't leave them in field goal range if you miss. Sure, the way our defense was playing we were probably going to let them drive back into range, but at least it would have been a longer kick...against a ST unit that has been one of the best at blocking kicks in the last several years.

Paul got stubborn and made a stupid call on this one.
Disagree.
1.) If your O cannot get one yard with the game on the line.........well enough said.
2) With the time left on the clock Pitt had more than enough time to score with the way the D played.
3) Winning in OT was a bleak prospect.
4) You hope for a miracle D stand with a team with a weak kicker.

We get the extra couple of inches, move down the field and score with no time left, CPJ looks like a genius. It was a gamble that did not pay off.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Every team has good and bad plays obviously. My point is that just because you have bad plays doesn't mean your offense isn't good, if that was the case there wouldn't be any good offenses. have we had bad plays? Sure, but imo our overall play has been good. I though what I said before was common sense, obviously not I guess. I'm assuming you don't like cpj? If so maybe you are just blind to the offensive play or you don't know much about the ins and outs of football?

When your offense produces a net 7 points then that is not a good day. You can't just dismiss the plays that don't go your way. They happened. And stuff like that has been to frequent to just write off as one time things. Offense either giving up points directly, or giving our opponents the ball on our side of the field was extremely common last year and a big reason why we were 3-9. Hell even yesterday the score was 21-20 at the half. Regardless of how it came to be we had multiple chances to take control of that game. Our offense couldn't produce points in the first two opportunities, and it wasn't until a turnover gave us the ball back on our side of the field that they finally took advantage and gave us a lead. And that's also a common theme dating back to last year. In the past 15 games our offense has had numerous chances in the second half to either take control of the game or get back into the game, and it has rarely come through, and has often put our defense in a bad situation in terms of field position. There is nothing with the way the team has played over the past 17 games to warrant the confidence that Johnson showed in the offense. At the very least our defense has had a tendency to get better as the game goes on.

And no, I like Johnson. Hell, I like the offense in theory. But I don't like what I've seen the last two years, and I'm not blind enough to stick my head in the sand and pretend the HC isn't a problem when the team is 6-11 over the last 17. Especially when he is the OC and more often than not the offense has been the worse side of the ball over that time span.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
We will never know how it would have played out if we punted. I'm fairly certain that they would have driven down and kicked the FG and the result would've been exactly the same. Forget the las 17 games - Pitt hadn't been able to consistently stop the offense, but you're right that it's not like the offense was fantastic yesterday.

Animal02

Banned
We will never know how it would have played out if we punted. I'm fairly certain that they would have driven down and kicked the FG and the result would've been exactly the same. Forget the las 17 games - Pitt hadn't been able to consistently stop the offense, but you're right that it's not like the offense was fantastic yesterday.
It may be only my perception, but JT seems to have lost some of the edge he had his sophomore year. Maybe all the hits and minor injuries are adding up......which leads to a second question of, with this offense, can we rely on one QB for 2-3 seasons?