Pittsburgh Postgame

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Defense is good when the offense is bad, defense is bad when the offense is good. I'm tired of it, VT is gonna embarrass us along with UNC. UGA will be typical loss we always get. We may beat Duke, Virginia and GSU but I wouldn't put money on any of them.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
JT doesn't seem to take off and get the first down on a broken pass play like he used to. The pass play to MLD could have been a run for the first down, but he tried the throw.

His pass was on the money though.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
JT doesn't seem to take off and get the first down on a broken pass play like he used to. The pass play to MLD could have been a run for the first down, but he tried the throw.

His pass was on the money though.

Go look at it again there 3 people above the first marker barreling down on JT. He wasn't going to make it running

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And if we miss another bowl, both may go bye...bye...
As they should
And if we miss another bowl, both may go bye...bye...
Honestly, after last year, I would be delighted with an 8 win season. I think we are headed to a 7 though, which is far from terrible.

We need better leadership though, and I'm hoping Todd brings that. A good A D works wonders.
Honestly, after last year, I would be delighted with an 8 win season. I think we are headed to a 7 though, which is far from terrible.

We need better leadership though, and I'm hoping Todd brings that. A good A D works wonders.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is even though the kick was inches away from missing, the penalty on us would have allowed them to kick it again anyway. Would have just twisted the knife if he had missed it and gotten another try.
Actually, that has been pointed out on one of the threads here, if not this one. That would have been a heartbreaker, not that it wasn't already.

Going for it on 4th on that part of the field was stupid. At the 50, sure, but not at your own 34. If we are down, sure, I get it...but you can't leave them in field goal range if you miss. Sure, the way our defense was playing we were probably going to let them drive back into range, but at least it would have been a longer kick...against a ST unit that has been one of the best at blocking kicks in the last several years.

Paul got stubborn and made a stupid call on this one.
Maybe it's because he knew he couldn't trust Roof's defense to stop them. I sure wouldn't have trusted them.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
We played well enough to win and we didn't. I thought this game would end up like it did, but I hoped we would be the team kicking the FG late. In terms of production on O it was very like the Miami game, but the D didn't do much for us in the 4th quarter. Neither did the refs; the last spot was pretty unfavorable.

Well, nothing to do but keep on keeping on. We aren't playing badly; we just need to keep improving and things will be ok. I still think we get 7 - 8 wins, but it would be nice if the next time we tip a ball it doesn't go directly into the opposing receiver's hands.
You sound just like most of the "milktoast" Tech fans! "Well we just need to keep trying," " we need to keep improving", things will be ok",we can still get 7 or 8 wins". The only thing you left out was: "pj is the best we can get, and " the sun will come up tomorrow".

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You sound just like most of the "milktoast" Tech fans! "Well we just need to keep trying," " we need to keep improving", things will be ok",we can still get 7 or 8 wins". The only thing you left out was: "pj is the best we can get, and " the sun will come up tomorrow".
Unlike the completely unrealistic Tech "fans" who lose complete control after two close loses - both determined by how the ball bounces, not how well we played - to two good teams? Yeah, that's more like it.

Look, a lot of people had us penciled in to lose all of the last three games. I didn't, largely because I thought we matched up well against both da U and Pitt. And, sure enough, we did. And we still lost. This is because we're playing football and you sometimes lose close games against evenly matched teams. I watched UNC and VT yesterday and Ugag last week and I still think we could win eight. We could also win five. We'll have to get our chin straps 0on for the next two weeks. If we get to UNC at 5 - 3, I think we have a good chance to win two of the last three games (I doubt we can best the Turkies, but you never know).

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, in spite of all the extra restrictions Paul Johnson has had to face as GA Tech's Head Football Coach, as compared to his predecessors, he's still won at a success level we haven't seen since Coach Bobby Dodd when looking at Division and Conference Championships as well as 9/10 win seasons.

There's no doubt we're in a bit of a rough patch, but even the best Head Coaches had Teams go through them for various reason (last year we had more than our fair share of injuries and still, the Team never quit fighting, and we were within one score of winning most of those losses).

This year, we have lost to two Top 10 Teams and lost to a third team on a last-second FG. Catch your breath, people, things may not be quite as bad as many of you may be making it if you really look at at things objectively.

Johnson is 3 games under .500(FBS) since 2010 when he no longer had Gailey's recruits to count on.

This "rough patch" has existed for 5 1/2 of the last 6 1/2 seasons. Johnson is 10 games under .500 (FBS) over those 5 1/2 seasons.

His FBS win % at GT is lower than Gailey's.

He is 5-21 since 2010 against VT, Miami, Clemson and UGA--and if you take out 2014, he is 1-21 against those teams. That's 1/3 of every season's schedule in which we really aren't competitive.

He has no conference championships. If I am wrong, go the GTAA and take a picture of the trophy for me.

He has only one real division championship, and we play in what most people consider the weakest Power 5 division. It is getting stronger as our results of 2015 and 2016 (so far) show. Not only are we behind Miami and VT in our division, we are behind UNC and Pitt, and even possibly Duke. UVa's new coach will take them past us too unless something changes.

George O'Leary had the adversity of following Lewis, yet he put up 5 consecutive AP top 25 finishes. How has Johnson had better success than Ross and O'Leary?

You and I have very different definitions of "success". Playing more games and more FBS teams to get more wins is not "success."

A lot of purported Tech fans on this board either aren't Tech fans, or they don't understand that being a fan of the coach and being a fan of the school are two different things. Those two things can be in opposition to each other. I think you fall in the latter category.

And while we are at it, calculus is not required for liberal arts majors at GT (unless you count "Survey of Calculus"). Let's put that myth to rest too.

A lot of purported Tech fans on this board either aren't Tech fans, or they don't understand that being a fan of the coach and being a fan of the school are two different things.
I am an alum and a fan of both the school AND the coach.
And while we are at it, calculus is not required for liberal arts majors at GT (unless you count "Survey of Calculus"). Let's put that myth to rest too.
Of course we count "Survey of Calculus". How many other schools that field football teams require even a "Survey of Calculus". Even that, however, is relatively new at Tech. Until recently, ALL students were required to take one complete year of Calculus. The survey may be considerably easier, but when opposing coaches are recruiting the same SA's that Tech is recruiting, the mere mention of the word "calculus" can be, and has been, used against us.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Thats not inspired

Given the debacle of last year, getting to 7-4 or 8-3 "would have been" a nice rebound. I think we have be concerned about getting to six at this point, but best to take it one game at a time.

Ironically, I was just reading the GTAA Strategic Plan and it calls for competing for the conference and NCAA championships.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You know, I heard a couple of years ago about how a lot of our fans would be satisfied with a few mediocre seasons as long as we had some 11 win seasons in there as well. Well, sure enough, Coach delivered on that. Twice. And we still have people crabbing about how we aren't winning 10 games a year regularly.

What this tells me is that we have a lot of people who are looking for a chance to complain about the program, usually because they wish we played a style of offensive football that had more "excitement" or something similarly vague. Well, you can't satisfy some people; if you meet their conditions, they move the goal posts. I don't know what can be done about this besides a)) convincing the Hill to go all UNC on our athletes (goooooood luck), or b) ponying up the cash to help with the problems (strange how seldom this comes up).

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
You know, I heard a couple of years ago about how a lot of our fans would be satisfied with a few mediocre seasons as long as we had some 11 win seasons in there as well. Well, sure enough, Coach delivered on that. Twice. And we still have people crabbing about how we aren't winning 10 games a year regularly.

What this tells me is that we have a lot of people who are looking for a chance to complain about the program, usually because they wish we played a style of offensive football that had more "excitement" or something similarly vague. Well, you can't satisfy some people; if you meet their conditions, they move the goal posts. I don't know what can be done about this besides a)) convincing the Hill to go all UNC on our athletes (goooooood luck), or b) ponying up the cash to help with the problems (strange how seldom this comes up).

I think you misread most of the criticism. Most of the criticism isn't about winning 10 - it's about being able to win 6. We won three last year. 3 so far this year - and to me we look closer to last year than anything else. Personally, if PJ pulls it out of the gutter - somehow scrapes to 7-5 and miraculously wins a bowl I would consider that a pretty decent rebound. If we continue to go downhill and only win 1-2 more I have doubts about whether PJ can correct the problems.

Edited to add - I think tech is a 10 games every few years type of team. I would like to see us be able to get to 8 consistently, but that ain't easy either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I missed the game due to Hurricane Matthew aftermath. I know we lost, but is it worth watching replay? I don't need more frustration right now....