Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
You mentioned facts in your first sentence, then followed with pure opinion.

Again, no one is saying we should be putting up 40 per game. My point is that questions and concerns should be expected when we've scored 30 points in 2 of 22 games and Temple scored 30 points in less than 45% of its games with P'Nut. Those are facts BTW.
true freshman starting at QB behind the worst returning Oline in college football (they have been better this year, but are still not close to what we need in pass pro) all while our best two weapons on offense have missed significant time with injuries.
See above. You ignored those facts from my previous post.

I know it’s late, but if you’re going to beat the same dead horse, might want to at least think before you post.

And to say these are opinions is a stretch as well.
We are better than we were last year, but still nowhere near the top half of the ACC there.
☝🏼Talking about the OL. Haven’t looked at the grades but I’m fairly confident we would fall in the bottoms half of the ACC in OL play.
Having a guy like Gibbs allows you to cover some of those deficiencies, but he and Brown (our other homerun threat) being out for a large part of the season is more impactful to a GT than most other teams as we transition out of our old offense.
This is also fact. Gibbs and Brown have missed significant time. They are also our biggest home run threats. Those aren’t debatable.

You could say it’s opinion that losing them doesn’t hurt us more than most other teams, but that’s the only “opinion” leg you have to stand on.

So my point stands, you blatantly ignore all the evidence that points to why we might be bad on offense.

I don’t care what he did at Temple. I don’t know anything about the players he had. I do know what he inherited here and how hat has hampered much of what he wants to do.

If the offense sucks next year, that’s another story (assuming Sims stays healthy and the OL isn’t completely depleted).

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
See above. You ignored those facts from my previous post.

I know it’s late, but if you’re going to beat the same dead horse, might want to at least think before you post.

And to say these are opinions is a stretch as well.

☝🏼Talking about the OL. Haven’t looked at the grades but I’m fairly confident we would fall in the bottoms half of the ACC in OL play.

This is also fact. Gibbs and Brown have missed significant time. They are also our biggest home run threats. Those aren’t debatable.

You could say it’s opinion that losing them doesn’t hurt us more than most other teams, but that’s the only “opinion” leg you have to stand on.

So my point stands, you blatantly ignore all the evidence that points to why we might be bad on offense.

I don’t care what he did at Temple. I don’t know anything about the players he had. I do know what he inherited here and how hat has hampered much of what he wants to do.

If the offense sucks next year, that’s another story (assuming Sims stays healthy and the OL isn’t completely depleted).
Lol CDP was criticized early in the year for not utilizing Brown, but now your using Brown missing games as an excuse for CDP. That’s silly reasoning.

For the 100th time tonight, no one is arguing that we should be a great offense, but we play against bad teams in the ACC and outside of Duke and Louisville this year, we’re not scoring.

16 against FSU, 20 against Syracuse, 21 against UCF, 13 against NC State. Among other teams, that’s the fewest amount of points scored against FSU and NC State and the 2nd fewest against Syracuse and UCF. We also scored the fewest points against Clemson for an FBS team.

Combine that with another below average night against Pitt and you’re going to get questions and concerns, which are warranted given both the OC’s production at GT and his production as an FBS OC.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Is next year also a developmental year? Genuinely curious as to when we can expect to be out of the developmental phase and into winning more than we lose.
No. We should expect a 6-6 or 7-5 type year. With the pieces we have returning and transfers we should be a much better team than this year.

Depends on how the schedule shakes out but if I recall it’s not a light schedule. 2022 is judgement year and I think we probably go 8-4.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
This is a really hard game to judge. Odds were stacked against us from a short week, finals, lots of players out, then as the refs that should be fired

However reality is , I'm still convinced one of our coordinators needs to go, mostly convinced it's thacker. Seeing way too many issues on D that aren't improving

I really miss 7-8 win seasons, hopefully next year . Just don't know how much more our fan base can take of these 3 win seasons

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Gibbs is a difference maker and Sims will be. Defense you are 100% right
Agreed we need studs on defense. But I can equally say we need a clutch WR that flat out go get the ball. Our receivers are getting better but we need them to make miraculous catches and none can do that currently.

Also dont let that distract you from the refs sucking complete doodoo butt.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This.
It was terribly frustrating watching their little dude scamper about so much but overall I was encouraged by our D's ability to hold them out of the end zone and put some good pressure on the QB. Recruits, transfers, and further development gives me hope for next year. And that's what this game was, development for next year.
Your last sentence exactly right on!!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
This is a really hard game to judge. Odds were stacked against us from a short week, finals, lots of players out, then as the refs that should be fired

However reality is , I'm still convinced one of our coordinators needs to go, mostly convinced it's thacker. Seeing way too many issues on D that aren't improving

I really miss 7-8 win seasons, hopefully next year . Just don't know how much more our fan base can take of these 3 win seasons

I won't go as far as saying Thacker needs to go, in the end it's CGC's defense...but I will say I've been REALLY disappointed in our defense. I get that we're depleted on the DL and our LBs are not a good fit for this scheme, but what disappoints me most about this defense is the fundamentals. Finishing off tackles, positioning, getting lined up correctly, gap assignment, field awareness...all the fundamental things we were taught in middle school and high school. Last year I can understand some of it...this year there's no excuse. Those things don't require 5 star talent to be good at.

I was watching 'Bama play LSU last weekend with a friend, and we were commenting about how 'Bama is loaded with talent, but they still do all the little things that add up to give them an advantage. Lining up correctly, maintaining gap responsibility...DBs taking the right angles and positioning themselves so they're not getting beat over the top, and using the sidelines to their advantage. Wrapping up and not letting the ball carrier get extra yards. Forcing the ball into a funnel so teammates can make plays. When 'Bama makes a tackle, guys aren't falling forward for an extra 2-3 yards...which adds up. Little things turn into big things.

LOTS of things for our defense to work on in the offseason, but our fundamentals need to improve or else it's going to be the same thing regardless of what kind of talent we bring in.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
What does the term “mis fit” mean? I read in an AJC article where CGC used that term several times in describing how a guys whose previous best game was 69 yds ran for 240+ against us last night. Is that code or a nice way to say “blown assignment”? The term sounds like it means we were in a bad defensive alignment, however on the last touchdown run he says they were in a good call and one guy “misfit” it. He also said that we had one guy slip at the “point of attack” on the first run but that is BS. Our safety came up and took a terrible angle and the guy went right by him. I support Collins because he’s our coach, but I’m tired of excuses and half truths. For my money, just say what the case really is and quit trying to make excuses or (badly) try to cover up mistakes. You can do that w/o throwing our athletes under the bus.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Is next year also a developmental year? Genuinely curious as to when we can expect to be out of the developmental phase and into winning more than we lose.
CGC will have to have his players figured out next year! And Tech needs to win 7 to show good development. 6 wins would be just ok.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The Refs were bad we had so many out that couldn't play but not sure it would matter. Best thing CGC could do is cancel the game with Miami tell the players to go home and enjoy Christmas with there families . Then spend time and look at his coaching staff and see if he needs to replace any of them. Watch every game film and see which players after Christmas he needs to call on the carpet and let the ones know which ones may want to look at doing something else . And he needs to learn being respected by the players is better than being a friend to them. Anyone can talk a big game but at some point you need to back it up.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
What does the term “mis fit” mean? I read in an AJC article where CGC used that term several times in describing how a guys whose previous best game was 69 yds ran for 240+ against us last night. Is that code or a nice way to say “blown assignment”? The term sounds like it means we were in a bad defensive alignment, however on the last touchdown run he says they were in a good call and one guy “misfit” it. He also said that we had one guy slip at the “point of attack” on the first run but that is BS. Our safety came up and took a terrible angle and the guy went right by him. I support Collins because he’s our coach, but I’m tired of excuses and half truths. For my money, just say what the case really is and quit trying to make excuses or (badly) try to cover up mistakes. You can do that w/o throwing our athletes under the bus.

Yes, “misfit” we were not fitting our run. On the last run, either Jackson was wrong or there should’ve been a safety filling that lane.

No, the first run Jackson took on the block square up instead of on his inside shoulder giving the RB two-way go. If he stays on the inside shoulder he spills the ball the unaccounted for safety it’s a minimal gain (we hope)

So I’m not sure what excuses or non truth are
giphy.gif

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Post game presser is up. Coaching looking teary eyed angry and emotional.

Lather rinse and repeat, first don't tell me about 3 games in 13 days that crap is hog wash, regular schedule you play 3 games in 15 days. If you want to say it hurt practice this week cause our players had finals i'll buy that as a better excuse. And to keep saying they had a Top 4 defense is hogwash every loss we have they all have not been a top 4 defense. Maybe it could be a weak OC something you need to look as fast before spring practice . And remember excuses won't work after this year.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it could be a weak OC something you need to look as fast before spring practice . And remember excuses won't work after this year.
The weakness on offense is the OL. Surely you could see that last night if you know anything about football. We have a good OL coach, so contrary to your assertion, it's not coaching.
Only one player on the starting OL is a Collins recruit, and he is a true FR. I don't see that the OL will be any better next year, and could be worse. The OL recuiting sucked under Sewak/Johnson, and that's what we are stuck with for at least one more year. You don't win with FR OL. It takes time to develop O-linemen.

You people who believe you can put up 30 points a game with a poor OL if we had the right OC are just amazing.

We could also use some help at WR, since WR didn't want to play in the Johnson offense. Recruiting wasn't great there either. That can be fixed easier than OL, as we have seen with Brown.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes, “misfit” we were not fitting our run. On the last run, either Jackson was wrong or there should’ve been a safety filling that lane.

No, the first run Jackson took on the block square up instead of on his inside shoulder giving the RB two-way go. If he stays on the inside shoulder he spills the ball the unaccounted for safety it’s a minimal gain (we hope)

So I’m not sure what excuses or non truth are
giphy.gif

Carpenter on that play :oops:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He also said that we had one guy slip at the “point of attack” on the first run but that is BS. Our safety came up and took a terrible angle and the guy went right by him. I support Collins because he’s our coach, but I’m tired of excuses and half truths.

He was answering a question from memory after a 3 hour game, probably from a vantage point that was less than ideal. The defender did slip (after taking the bad angle) and it's likely in that moment, that is what Collins remembered about the play. That isn't an excuse or half truth. It's just the problem with talking about specific details without the benefit of watching the film.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol CDP was criticized early in the year for not utilizing Brown, but now your using Brown missing games as an excuse for CDP. That’s silly reasoning.

For the 100th time tonight, no one is arguing that we should be a great offense, but we play against bad teams in the ACC and outside of Duke and Louisville this year, we’re not scoring.

16 against FSU, 20 against Syracuse, 21 against UCF, 13 against NC State. Among other teams, that’s the fewest amount of points scored against FSU and NC State and the 2nd fewest against Syracuse and UCF. We also scored the fewest points against Clemson for an FBS team.

Combine that with another below average night against Pitt and you’re going to get questions and concerns, which are warranted given both the OC’s production at GT and his production as an FBS OC.
I’ve said we aren’t a good offense. You continue to ignore the fact of the severe liabilities we have on that side of the ball.

You do you. Funny we don’t hear you and your 3/4 buddies that love to bash CDP talk about the defense or Thacker. That’s a bigger issue to me. We’ve got much more experience on that side of the ball and yet continue to get torched by bad offenses. It’s obvious you have an axe to grind.

It’s even more obvious when you don’t give examples of why CDP is bad other than to say we didn’t score as many points as we should have. You then diamonds when guys like ibeeballin come on here with gifs of plays we ran that would’ve been successful if a guy would’ve caught the ball, made a block (wr running free), or Sims hit a throw).

Could he be better? Yes. Could you or scuba or Colorado do better? Hell no.