Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't care what anyone else says the Refs DID LOSE US THE GAME.

Take away the absolute atrocious calls and Pitt doesn't score on their last drive and get a two point conversion making the score 26-20.

Then take away, or rather give us, the THREE atrocious non-calls against Pitt in our final drive:

1) Straight up roughing the passer where the guy drives Sims into the ground giving him a concussion (it looked like) (yet when our guy pushes Pitt's QB as he throws the ball we get roughing the passer.)
That should have been 15 yards putting as close to the goal line.

2) Yates throws a pass to Camp in the end zone and the defender straight up holds him to prevent him from getting to the ball. Refs say it's uncatchable... Yeah when you are being held it's hard to get to the ball to make it catchable.

3) Next play same thing only our receiver was being ran through. Again no call and it should have been PI.

Horrible officiating. If we get those calls we score a TD potentially and win 26-27 ( if we miss the point after it's at least a tie game)

The refs ABSOLUTELY lost us the game.

ScGold

Banned
If Coach Collins doesn't call out the refs I'd be shocked! His reaction, throwing the headset and then barely shaking Narduzzi 's(the whiner) hand makes me think he is straight up pissed. As he should be. I have never seen a worse officiated game in my life.

Atrocious. I hope he calls out the ACC refs, takes the fine, and doesn't give a ****. They need to be called out because this game was atrocious.
I believe Tech athletics and $hitty officiating go hand in hand.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
So we should expect a DL that at times had 5-7 P5 offers to hold up over a season and never get gashed? I'm not writing it off solely on talent, but I literally cannot think of another ACC DL that I would choose ours over, based on who we had to run out there tonight. That means we are at a competitive disadvantage.
If you want to get into who's not out there on the line, we did lose Justice Dingle (a 4 star by Rivals) to the portal a few weeks ago and Chimideza early on. Could they have helped? Maybe. So too Jahaziel Lee, who hit the portal early on in the season. You start losing guys like that and anybody's depth, anybody not named Alabama or Clemson, is going to feel it.
Guys are going to get get hurt during the year. Everybody is missing guys at this point in the season. Some more than others. Pitt didn't have Weaver and he's a beast.
I think we rotate guys in way too much. Sometimes, you get let em stay out there and play. Because the guy you're bringing in off the bench now may not be the answer. If you think guys like Lockhart and Ivey are going to develop into stalwarts, leave them out there. If you think JaQuon Griffin can make a play (he did with a sack at the end of the first half), leave him out there.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Continuing to ignore the facts laid out is ridiculous.

I'm not saying he's some genius, but you and some others act like he should be putting up 40 a game with the "talent" we have. Watch the LOS. It all starts there. We are better than we were last year, but still nowhere near the top half of the ACC there.

Having a guy like Gibbs allows you to cover some of those deficiencies, but he and Brown (our other homerun threat) being out for a large part of the season is more impactful to a GT than most other teams as we transition out of our old offense.
You mentioned facts in your first sentence, then followed with pure opinion.

Again, no one is saying we should be putting up 40 per game. My point is that questions and concerns should be expected when we've scored 30 points in 2 of 22 games and Temple scored 30 points in less than 45% of its games with CDP. Those are facts BTW.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Maybe my expectations are lower now but I’m glad our conference losses are at least competitive. Besides the Pitt and UVA games last year I feel like it’s either we win close or get completely killed in conference games. So losing close ones while more painful is improvement at the least.
Pitt last year wasn't close. It was 10 points, but that's still double digits (wait, hang on ... carry the one ... yep, double digits) and two scores.
This one wasn't either. -
Last week against NC State, as shaky an 8-3 team as there is, was close. But Pitt was 5-5. They're ... not that good. And they won by two TDs.
Yes, the refs were bad. But they didn't give up 250 yards rushing to one of the Lollipop Guild.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
If they had been able to finish drives with TDs instead of field goals it may have been worse.
maybe you should credit our D for being good in the redzone. Besides dropping one in on a converted QB we did that(keep them out).

Do you think we let them score with 2 minutes left?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This is on the ESPN homepage. I hate the headline and that the handshake is the clip they are showing but I do find it humorous that they switched the coaches up

View attachment 9577
Coach Collins would not even look at him. They did not show it but just after that photo, Naduzzi was yelling at him as Coach Collins walked away from him. Coach Collins was the one doing the "dissing" it would appear to me. Good thing coaches don't shake hands with officials post game.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The post game media should be...interesting. For Coach Collins it is a coin flip about ripping the officiating. For Pitt's coach he did not like the way Collins dissed him at the post game hand shake. Temperature's rising between those two. This will be like Woody Hayes and Bo Schembelcher back in the day.
Kind of a stretch on both ends though ?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Pitt last year wasn't close. It was 10 points, but that's still double digits (wait, hang on ... carry the one ... yep, double digits) and two scores.
This one wasn't either. -
Last week against NC State, as shaky an 8-3 team as there is, was close. But Pitt was 5-5. They're ... not that good. And they won by two TDs.
Yes, the refs were bad. But they didn't give up 250 yards rushing to one of the Lollipop Guild.
NC State beat Pitt by one point in overtime but the whole time I was watching that game, I thought NC State was the better team simply because they had more playmakers, especially at receiver. Pitt has a way of dragging people down to their level with their physical play and pushing the limits on rules and such. It is what they do.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to get into who's not out there on the line, we did lose Justice Dingle (a 4 star by Rivals) to the portal a few weeks ago and Chimideza early on. Could they have helped? Maybe. So too Jahaziel Lee, who hit the portal early on in the season. You start losing guys like that and anybody's depth, anybody not named Alabama or Clemson, is going to feel it.
Guys are going to get get hurt during the year. Everybody is missing guys at this point in the season. Some more than others. Pitt didn't have Weaver and he's a beast.
I think we rotate guys in way too much. Sometimes, you get let em stay out there and play. Because the guy you're bringing in off the bench now may not be the answer. If you think guys like Lockhart and Ivey are going to develop into stalwarts, leave them out there. If you think JaQuon Griffin can make a play (he did with a sack at the end of the first half), leave him out there.
Yea, I think our DL attrition falls into that category of “more” than others. And we weren’t starting from a position of strength.

As to who should play, I don’t feel qualified to say, though I have strong inclinations based on body types and athleticism.

IMO, our guys fought hard tonight and I think they left it on the field. I enjoyed watching the effort, even though the result was frustrating at times.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Kind of a stretch on both ends though ?
Maybe. I don't think Coach Collins will do what Woody did once. He was recruiting a player in Michigan and ran out of gas mere yards from the Ohio state line. There was a gas station on the Michigan side that was closer but Woody, being Woody, got some guys to push his car across the state line to a gas station in Ohio.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I think we rotate guys in way too much.
Really?!! This is what kills me.

Do we still not know this is/was a DEVELOPMENTAL YEAR?

Cmon people. Yes we want to win but we are also prepping for the future. Some personnel mistakes bite us in the *** but we have to play the young guys to get them reps. We also have to play some young guys due to injury and lack of depth but...geesh.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Never said folks should be happy. You are mischaracterizing or misinterpreting the context of my posts.

I'm evaluating the offense's performance tonight. I responded to comments about the offense's performance tonight. If you want to have a conversation about the body of work, have at it here with others or in the CDP Offense thread. I'm not engaging around that.

Here are the characterizations of tonight's performance to which I replied:
  • "No offense again hurts us"
  • "Coach P got his *** handed to him tonight"
  • "And still the D played well enough for us to win"... "his play calling is terrible"
If folks just want to vent, have at it. Definitely a frustrating game. Was hoping context might help.
The averages you posted earlier are missing context. Pitt beat Austin Peay 55-0. Against FBS teams, they give up 28 ppg, against FBS teams not last in their conference (Syracuse), they give up 30ppg. Admittedly, the latter is cherry picking.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Cmon people. Yes we want to win but we are also prepping for the future. Some personnel mistakes bite us in the *** but we have to play the young guys to get them reps. We also have to play some young guys due to injury and lack of depth but...geesh.
Ok lol. I'm sure that's the case.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck

Is next year also a developmental year? Genuinely curious as to when we can expect to be out of the developmental phase and into winning more than we lose.