Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
But when Fritz came in, he was good. The next coach has nothing to do with it. Fritz made it work. Good coaches figure out how to win.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Fritz came in and ran a very similar system and actually made his system even more similar to what GSU was running before. He also kept GSU wasn't trying to transition away from the option with that hire. They were literally trying to stay as close to it as possible because people still remembered the VanGorder and Hatcher years. However, when Monken left there wasn't a good replacement from the same tree so there wasn't really an option of staying exactly the same.

Here is a quote from Fritz.
“Tracey Ham told me during the interview process, ‘coach in the press conference you only need to say two words – triple-option,’” Fritz said."

The attempted transition away from the option came under Summers in his first year and there were calls for him to be fired in year one because of it. It went god awful and was hated in statesboro before it even happened. So much so that he brought in an OC in year two to try and go back.

This is the same disingenous argument that has been made time and time again. Yeah, you can transition smoothly from the triple option, as long as you basically keep running it.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I’ll let you defend your GSU opinion with Iv20 who has already refuted it.

I don’t follow or care about that program so I’m not going to look into it. It’s obvious when people like you use them as an example you’re a Johnson fan who migrated with him to GT. Or at least that what it seems like. I know absolutely nothing about Ga Southern because they’re irrelevant.

I do know their competition isn’t close to what ours is so using them as an example seems like a waste, but that’s the best you can do because nobody worth anything runs the offense we just transitioned out of.

As for have we seen good coaching, I would say yes, in areas. It’s also hard to gauge honestly.

I will say I think there is room for improvement. I’m dissappinted in how some upperclassman safeties have played. They seem to have regressed.

I think the OL has gotten better, still not good, but it’s obvious they’ve improved. Same can be said for the DEs. QB play is better than last year and better than the start of this year. RB play is good.

Areas for improvement:

We start too slow most games. Thacker seems to struggle to adjust until he has time at halftime. I would’ve liked to see us get Brown more involved while he was healthy and here. We need to improve on redzone offense (though we have improved). Timeout usage/end of half awareness.

Honestly, I’ve been more disappointed in Thacker and the defense than CDP and the offense.
I can agree with your assessment of our coaching so far. I appreciate the honesty attempt.

I brought up GSU because I think it was a smooth transition and it was a good modern to follow. Being at a lower level, in my mind doesn't affect their ability to transition away as everyone is playing at that level.

BTW I went to Tech and got out, I never went to GSU, I was just giving an example of how is not impossible to go from the 3O to a different offense.

One last note, I think an irregular amount of injuries has made some progress look worse. Offensive line in 2018 was playing with a bunch of walk ons at one point. This year I was pretty surprised by the progress of DE as well, but again we have since attrition there.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
You have no idea what you are talking about. Fritz came in and ran a very similar system and actually made his system even more similar to what GSU was running before. He also kept GSU wasn't trying to transition away from the option with that hire. They were literally trying to stay as close to it as possible because people still remembered the VanGorder and Hatcher years. However, when Monken left there wasn't a good replacement from the same tree so there wasn't really an option of staying exactly the same.

Here is a quote from Fritz.
“Tracey Ham told me during the interview process, ‘coach in the press conference you only need to say two words – triple-option,’” Fritz said."

The attempted transition away from the option came under Summers in his first year and there were calls for him to be fired in year one because of it. It went god awful and was hated in statesboro before it even happened. So much so that he brought in an OC in year two to try and go back.

This is the same disingenous argument that has been made time and time again. Yeah, you can transition smoothly from the triple option, as long as you basically keep running it.
I gave you an example of transitioning away from the 3O that was successful, you choose not to see it. Then you bring up a different coach that came in and couldn't coach as an example of not transitioning away from the 3O. Open your eyes buddy, step away from the kool aid for a minute.

Answer this question, did Fritz run the 3O?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’ve said we aren’t a good offense. You continue to ignore the fact of the severe liabilities we have on that side of the ball.

You do you. Funny we don’t hear you and your 3/4 buddies that love to bash CDP talk about the defense or Thacker. That’s a bigger issue to me. We’ve got much more experience on that side of the ball and yet continue to get torched by bad offenses. It’s obvious you have an axe to grind.

It’s even more obvious when you don’t give examples of why CDP is bad other than to say we didn’t score as many points as we should have. You then diamonds when guys like ibeeballin come on here with gifs of plays we ran that would’ve been successful if a guy would’ve caught the ball, made a block (wr running free), or Sims hit a throw).

Could he be better? Yes. Could you or scuba or Colorado do better? Hell no.
Man just put all them mofos on ignore