Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
They wouldn’t. Some of y’all act like that’s the only offense that can be successful. It ain’t and ain’t coming back.

Most of us rational thinkers can see that it’s gone and not coming back. We can also see that transitioning from an offense where the OL isn’t asked to engage in blocks is going to take time when they have to actually engage in blocks. We were also undersized.

Also, as others pointed out above, our offense wasn’t that great against FBS opponents at the end of PJs era. 3 consecutive years under 30 ppg and ranked in the 60’s or so.

We are worse now to be sure, but that’s to be expected. Factor in the 3 qbs (with any experience) we had to start the season last year have either transferred because they were beaten out (last year or by a true freshman this year) or moved to play defense.

Imagine PJ taking over a team with a bunch of big/slow OL and 3 Calvin Bookers at qb. How good would his offense be then?
Did I hit a nerve?

I don't care if we run pro style, spread option, or air raid. I just want good coaching and wins.

I have seen pretty terrible coaching and certainly not enough wins.

You and others can accept all of the baseless excuses as to why we so far only have 6 wins in two years (notice how I didn't say average 6 wins), but I don't buy it. Tough transition excuse would be valid if he won 5-6 games last year. Unless we beat miami (anything is possible) it will be another 3 win year.

Blame it on talent if that helps you sleep at night, but I see some pretty poor coaching as the main culprit. I'm hoping that improves over the next few years, because as of right now we are stuck with Collins for a while and have no choice.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Oh it would also be nice to be competitive more often, which to be fair we have been over the past few games.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I’ll admit my bias up front. I like a coach who discusses Xs and Os after a game. I rarely feel like I learn anything after a CGC presser. Don’t get me wrong, if we win 10 or 11 games next year I will enjoy the rah-rah talk more but I would still miss finding out from a coach what actually happened in a game.
Watch the coordinators' pre game pressers for a little more. CDP goes into some details from time to time, and so does Thacker.

Post game press conferences are mostly useless in every sport.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The play was a TOTAL screwup by us. Our DT -92?--thought he supposed to cross with Brooks,so he took himself competely out of play. (whose fault ?).Then Quez got hung up on OG.Then Tariq Completely !!!! misread the runner and whiffed--which has happened too much by our Safeties this yr. PAR for course this yr.

As for Quon, he appears to be on a stunt. In essence, he takes out 2 blockers, leaving the puller & LT vs 3 defenders. Quez needs to stay inside but man Riq looks bad out there

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
First thank you for calling me amazing please tell my wife. And yes I know our OL is weak very weak . so lets look at the OL only 1 player that starts was signed by CGC and 2 of the starters are SR but I would guess they will move on after this year. So next year we will have 2 new starters, will that made the OL better , I hope but don't see it. And as far as the OC I look at the plays we run and all I can say is I hope he has been saving plays for next year. This is the end of year 2 at some point the excuses will need to end.
Jack DeFoor and Ryan Johnson are CGC transfers/recruits.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The calls by the refs were frustrating. Watching them run the ball over and over again after we cut it to six was more frustrating. Vincent Davis's single game rushing best in his career coming into the game was 69 yards. He had 69 yards just on the final drive of the game tonight.
such as? what would you have him say?
Well, how about, yeah Tariq is a really good player, but he took a bad angle on that play?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Well, how about, yeah Tariq is a really good player, but he took a bad angle on that play?
I'll agree with you if you can explain to me how CGC saying things like that during post game pressers benefits Georgia Tech in one way. I'll accept anything outside of it makes a couple of fans happy.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll agree with you if you can explain to me how CGC saying things like that during post game pressers benefits Georgia Tech in one way. I'll accept anything outside of it makes a couple of fans happy.
Idk, all I can relate it to is my own situation. When I screw up, I accept responsibility for it. If one of my employees screws up & my boss wants to know what went wrong, I tell him instead of diverting. I will admit a press conference is different. Maybe I should just stop listening, or even better, they should just stop having them if the questions are never addressed. I expect that part of response to my response is that the players are held accountable outside the eyes of the media, and I’m sure they are. There are other approaches and (presumably) other coaches out there that actually provide insightful & meaningful information (at least to some extent)

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Did I hit a nerve?

I don't care if we run pro style, spread option, or air raid. I just want good coaching and wins.

You and others can accept all of the baseless excuses as to why we so far only have 6 wins in two years (notice how I didn't say average 6 wins), but I don't buy it. Tough transition excuse would be valid if he won 5-6 games last year. Unless we beat miami (anything is possible) it will be another 3 win year.

Blame it on talent if that helps you sleep at night, but I see some pretty poor coaching as the main culprit. I'm hoping that improves over the next few years, because as of right now we are stuck with Collins for a while and have no choice.

all emo, no actual discussion other than "i'm up in my feelz".

and, pretty much blows off every single adverse factor that many people knew were coming.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Idk, all I can relate it to is my own situation. When I screw up, I accept responsibility for it. If one of my employees screws up & my boss wants to know what went wrong, I tell him instead of diverting. I will admit a press conference is different. Maybe I should just stop listening, or even better, they should just stop having them if the questions are never addressed. I expect that part of response to my response is that the players are held accountable outside the eyes of the media, and I’m sure they are. There are other approaches and (presumably) other coaches out there that actually provide insightful & meaningful information (at least to some extent)

without using the words "refs" or "sucked", his whole presser was - the refs sucked out loud.

there was nothing deeper to it.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
SMH

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Like when CGC accepted responsibility for how the FG practicing was being done?

I am not trying to target just your response to his press conference. This is the response from others on here too. What many have come to learn is that they are directed at marketing and recruits. He might get heated with the guys asking the questions or about something during the game. Everything else is strategically thought out.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Did I hit a nerve?

No nerve. You just don’t make any sense.

Paul would’ve had a hard time winning 6 games last year not changing anything. Expecting to completely transform to a brand new scheme where the OL actually have to block and do as good as we would have with potentially the best option coach would’ve done running a system he recruited for us ignorant.

But you do you. Keep thinking that way if it helps you sleep at night.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
No nerve. You just don’t make any sense.

Paul would’ve had a hard time winning 6 games last year not changing anything. Expecting to completely transform to a brand new scheme where the OL actually have to block and do as good as we would have with potentially the best option coach would’ve done running a system he recruited for us ignorant.

But you do you. Keep thinking that way if it helps you sleep at night.
Your opinion. GSU transitioned away from the option just fine btw. It just takes good coaching.

Do you honestly think we have seen good coaching? Honest question.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Your opinion. GSU transitioned away from the option just fine btw. It just takes good coaching.

Not really. When they went away from it the first time after Sewakit was horrible. The second time, when Monken left, GSU didn't want to transition away from the option but there weren't really any coaches who continued to run that system that were proven enough. So they went with a half measure with Fritz who ran a similar enough system hoping he'd last long enough for another member of the Johnson tree to break through. When Fritz left after two years and they went full away from it, it was horrible again for two years, under Summers (7-17).

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Not really. When they went away from it the first time after Sewakit was horrible. The second time, when Monken left, GSU didn't want to transition away from the option but there weren't really any coaches who continued to run that system that were proven enough. So they went with a half measure with Fritz who ran a similar enough system hoping he'd last long enough for another member of the Johnson tree to break through. When Fritz left after two years and they went full away from it, it was horrible again for two years, under Summers (7-17).
But when Fritz came in, he was good. The next coach has nothing to do with it. Fritz made it work. Good coaches figure out how to win.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

Do you honestly think we have seen good coaching? Honest question.
I’ll let you defend your GSU opinion with Iv20 who has already refuted it.

I don’t follow or care about that program so I’m not going to look into it. It’s obvious when people like you use them as an example you’re a Johnson fan who migrated with him to GT. Or at least that what it seems like. I know absolutely nothing about Ga Southern because they’re irrelevant.

I do know their competition isn’t close to what ours is so using them as an example seems like a waste, but that’s the best you can do because nobody worth anything runs the offense we just transitioned out of.

As for have we seen good coaching, I would say yes, in areas. It’s also hard to gauge honestly.

I will say I think there is room for improvement. I’m dissappinted in how some upperclassman safeties have played. They seem to have regressed.

I think the OL has gotten better, still not good, but it’s obvious they’ve improved. Same can be said for the DEs. QB play is better than last year and better than the start of this year. RB play is good.

Areas for improvement:

We start too slow most games. Thacker seems to struggle to adjust until he has time at halftime. I would’ve liked to see us get Brown more involved while he was healthy and here. We need to improve on redzone offense (though we have improved). Timeout usage/end of half awareness.

Honestly, I’ve been more disappointed in Thacker and the defense than CDP and the offense.