Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We just have too many leaks across the team. Linebacker play is the best we’ve seen in two years right now. Meanwhile, our WR’s drop balls that every team catches. The lines are a problem but our secondary just doesn’t make any plays. For all their showboating, they do nothing. Just too many leaks. Recruiting is the only answer. And the coaching is, yes, very questionable.

Did anyone else notice they never moved the ball between the 1st and 2nd quarters? We lost 20 yards because the teams flipped but the ball stayed so it went from Pitt having it at there 41 to our 41 because the refs never respotted the ball. And not one coach on GT saw it.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Dude, there’s a pattern of underperformance over 2 seasons. Nobody would be frustrated if our offense was performing well and we had an average night against Pitt. Think about your implicit argument, that folks should be happy about performing just below average in points against Pitt.
Dude, you think there might be a reason for that? IF you expected anything from suck from last years offense (before all the Oline injuries) you need to get your head checked.

This year has been up and down. Who would've thought that would be the case with a true freshman starting at QB behind the worst returning Oline in college football (they have been better this year, but are still not close to what we need in pass pro) all while our best two weapons on offense have missed significant time with injuries.

I only got to see the 4th quarter, but the offense looked fine to me. The defense was terrible (no help from the refs), but we moved the ball just fine. Saw some drops from WRs that wouldn't be playing if we were healthy or had the guys we need there.

We have also significantly improved on offense from last year. Is it where any of us would like it? No. But to place all the blame on the guy calling plays without acknowledging the limitations he's working with is asinine.

TheJuiceIsLoose404

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe my expectations are lower now but I’m glad our conference losses are at least competitive. Besides the Pitt and UVA games last year I feel like it’s either we win close or get completely killed in conference games. So losing close ones while more painful is improvement at the least.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Dude, there’s a pattern of underperformance over 2 seasons. Nobody would be frustrated if our offense was performing well and we had an average night against Pitt. Think about your implicit argument, that folks should be happy about performing just below average in points against Pitt.
Never said folks should be happy. You are mischaracterizing or misinterpreting the context of my posts.

I'm evaluating the offense's performance tonight. I responded to comments about the offense's performance tonight. If you want to have a conversation about the body of work, have at it here with others or in the CDP Offense thread. I'm not engaging around that.

Here are the characterizations of tonight's performance to which I replied:
  • "No offense again hurts us"
  • "Coach P got his *** handed to him tonight"
  • "And still the D played well enough for us to win"... "his play calling is terrible"
If folks just want to vent, have at it. Definitely a frustrating game. Was hoping context might help.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We just have too many leaks across the team. Linebacker play is the best we’ve seen in two years right now. Meanwhile, our WR’s drop balls that every team catches. The lines are a problem but our secondary just doesn’t make any plays. For all their showboating, they do nothing. Just too many leaks. Recruiting is the only answer. And the coaching is, yes, very questionable.

Did anyone else notice they never moved the ball between the 1st and 2nd quarters? We lost 20 yards because the teams flipped but the ball stayed so it went from Pitt having it at there 41 to our 41 because the refs never respotted the ball. And not one coach on GT saw it.
I had to follow on ESPN gametracker. I did not notice that either. Do you mean they did not move the ball with the change in quarters? I find that hard to believe but I will take your word for it and actually, given what all went on tonight it fits right in. Really? No one noticed? Not a replay official, a linesman, a coach, someone?

Dude, you think there might be a reason for that? IF you expected anything from suck from last years offense (before all the Oline injuries) you need to get your head checked.

This year has been up and down. Who would've thought that would be the case with a true freshman starting at QB behind the worst returning Oline in college football (they have been better this year, but are still not close to what we need in pass pro) all while our best two weapons on offense have missed significant time with injuries.

I only got to see the 4th quarter, but the offense looked fine to me. The defense was terrible (no help from the refs), but we moved the ball just fine. Saw some drops from WRs that wouldn't be playing if we were healthy or had the guys we need there.

We have also significantly improved on offense from last year. Is it where any of us would like it? No. But to place all the blame on the guy calling plays without acknowledging the limitations he's working with is asinine.
Um you missed the first 4 quarters with 100 yards of offense total

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I missed most of the game, but watching the highlights of the Pitt RB running it down our throats at the end of the game made it glaringly obvious that one of our safties was either out of position or took bad angles a lot.

As others have mentioned, safety play this year has been probably the most disappointing thing to me. I had high hopes for that duo. I don't know all the details and maybe they're trying to do too much, but it hasn't been pretty.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

If you are correct, that is piss poor coaching and officiating. I am not seeing it on the play by play in espn though

1607661735978.png

Scubapro

Banned

Better than last year? Are you kidding me? If we have improved slightly its because we have really talented QB. We have a QB and CDP doesn't know how to use him. I watched the whole game ... the offense sucked just like it has since CDP got here.

Scubapro

Banned
Never said folks should be happy. You are mischaracterizing or misinterpreting the context of my posts.

I'm evaluating offense's performance tonight. I responded to comments about the offense's performance tonight. If you want to have a conversation about the body of work, have at it here with others or in the CDP Offense thread. I'm not engaging around that.

Here are the characterizations of tonight's performance to which I replied:
  • "No offense again hurts us"
  • "Coach P got his *** handed to him tonight"
  • "And still the D played well enough for us to win"... "his play calling is terrible"
If folks just want to vent, have at it. Definitely a frustrating game. Was hoping context might help.
Where are your stats? Still waiting on you to tell me this looks like a well coached offense.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Undisciplined team falls squarely on coaching staff. We have guys on the field who carry the ball like a stale loaf of bread. Hopefully year 3 is better.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
So, ****ty refs aside. Did we do anything tonight that made anyone feel like we should have won?

To me it felt like the same old thing. Spotty defense, inept offense. On O...Even with Gibbs the only thing we have is big plays. But he’s not here. We flat out can’t sustain drives. On D...did we really try to pitch the ball after an interception?!?!? Am I ever going to be able to unsee that? I kept looking for the band to be marching on the field, but they weren’t there. Not sure how that’s even remotely a reasonable thought to at goes through a player’s head.

Refs sucked, but Tech deserved to lose. If the coaches and players feel otherwise then there is a huge disconnect. Gotta coach better, gotta play better. Not really much else to say.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Um you missed the first 4 quarters with 100 yards of offense total
We played 5?

I said as much. Again, it's clear the offense didn't set the world on fire. CDP didn't give up 250+ yards on the ground to a 160lb soaking wet RB, did he?

I am interested in what happened early. Looks like Mason had a bad game. Our running game had been humming. They just sell out to stop the run?