Pittsburgh Post Game Thread

THWG

Helluva Engineer
First, hats off to David Curry. What a game and heart.
Refs....well it was bad calls but
No offense again hurts us. Now credit the Pitt defense because they are good but our vanilla offense was shut down.
Coach can get mad and I like passion but he needs to direct that back to his staff. This game was lost even with the bad calls.
We didn't lose the games because of the refs, but they damn sure made it impossible for us to have a chance to win which is what pisses me off. It could have been 23-15 if they hadn't called the bull**** PI against Camp. On the ensuing drive, we had Pitt in a 3rd and 16 and they called the weakest unsportsmanlike conduct I have ever seen. We didn't have a chance to stop them and get the ball back to the offense. And then, Pitt proceeds to eat up 7 minutes thanks to more bull**** penalties. **** that.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So Collin's showing emotion is great but what he really needs to do is yell at his staff? I am confused.
I’m convinced some people won’t be pleased until they get a coach that never appears to be anything other than p*$$ed off on the sideline. No celebrating, no joy, no emotions other than anger.

Scubapro

Banned
I'll say this as gracefully as I can... I cannot think of an ACC DL in worse shape than ours coming in to this week. You could almost count the combined P5 offers (other than GT) of our DL on one hand at times. I was encouraged by our young DEs at times though.
And still the D played well enough for us to win. The offense is garbage. Even if CDP had all the players he wanted he would still struggle to average more than 24 per game....his play calling is horrible.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hey 412... bring it on!
Signed,
You know I am not surprised by Coach Narduzzi not being on Coach Collins Christmas card list. A couple of years ago, Athlon in their preseason magazine had a quote from an anonymous opposing coach about Pitt and Narduzzi. Paraphrasing here: "Pitt will fight you when you get off the bus, fight you during the game, push the officiating and the rules to the limit, and fight you on the way to the buses. They get that attitude from Pat. It is who they are." Yep, it is who they are and apparently Coach Collins is not too thrilled with either the officiating or their usual bad boy antics. IIWII

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We have a ways to go, but I saw some flashes. Peje Harris played well, but some of the other receivers have some work to do if they don’t want to get beaten out by freshmen next year. I really do think we’ve improved over this season. We need a more consistency though. I would not want to trade jobs with Brent Key. He’s got his work cut out for him.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
I think after next season, either Coach P or Thacker is fired. Guys that could replace coach P would be tashard choice or Brent key. Thacker replacement should be Marco Coleman. Tech doesn’t have the money to hire any experienced coordinators so we have to work with what he have internally.

Scubapro

Banned
Got ya, I totally missed where Coach P subbed in and played LT, LG, C, RG, RT.
He coaches them...it his fault when they are put into bad positions...don't blame the players. Oh and BTW we added 35 lbs per player on the O line....remember GeeHoke bragging about how much bigger we were at the beginning of the season?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Some positive notes, since I hardly ever provide any. :)

• Jamious showed some really good signs at the end of being a player that will still make a difference for us (yes, not as fast as Gibbs, but fast enough and tough)
  • Curry has the heart of a lion - probably one of the few players who does "overachieve" at times with his actual "God-given" talent
  • I like that CGC showed some passion and anger on the sidelines - I think that is a good sign going forward
  • Once again, the team kept fighting and didn't give up, even with a lot of "at best", questionable calls (I know, some were just bad)

Now, there are lots of "bad" as well, and I am sure it will be outlined (tackling, dropped passes, questionable play calling, etc.). But, I want to say something about next year. I still don't think we can turn the corner next year - just don't see our DL and OL improving enough next year. I just want to see us average less than 6 penalties a game, and less than 2 turnovers per game. I also want to see a MUCH better kicking game. If we can do at least those things and improve slightly, I think 5 wins is "par" for next year. I want to turn the corner next year like all of you and see 6-8 wins, so I hope I am wrong.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think after next season, either Coach P or Thacker is fired. Guys that could replace coach P would be tashard choice or Brent key. Thacker replacement should be Marco Coleman. Tech doesn’t have the money to hire any experienced coordinators so we have to work with what he have internally.
I don't have a problem with either coordinator. It is hard to coach around losing in the trenches. I thought our D was in position to make most of the plays tonight. Then, inexplicably, a Pitt guy would run out of the pile or push the pile another 10 yards. That may be effort, it may be size or strength, it may be technique. But it ain't scheme.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Pitt defensive averages: 24 ppg, 334 yds/game

GT offense tonight: 20 pts (or 22, depending on how you see it), 348 yds

Scubapro

Banned
Yes, we need an offense. Coach P got his *** handed to him tonight.
Patenaude is a joke....watching him at the game stand in the middle of the offense semi circle pointing at his card and preaching and not one player was paying him any attention. I have seen all I need to from Patenaude

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'll say this as gracefully as I can... I cannot think of an ACC DL in worse shape than ours coming in to this week. You could almost count the combined P5 offers (other than GT) of our DL on one hand at times. I was encouraged by our young DEs at times though.
We gave up 156 yards rushing the previous two games combined. Tonight we gave up 317 to a team that is ranked 119th in the country in rushing averaging 100 yards a game. After a pretty good performance last week defensively, im not sure you can just write off tonight's performance as a lack of available talent.