Pitt Postgame

stech81

Helluva Engineer
20 - 25 carries for Mason, a running game established early on (hint: that'd mean QB under center), and an offensive game plan that wouldn't try to run slow developing plays against one of the best pass rushing teams in the country.

The OL did just fine two weeks ago, when the team committed to the run. Yet, instead of building on that, our crack O staff decided to go back to what wasn't working. I mean, this isn't rocket science. What it is is a simple inability to realize what is working and going with it.

It would help if the WRs didn't drop the ball, however.
I am no fan of P'nut but maybe watching film on Pitt they didn't the same thing would work on Pitt.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
He wasn't the holder. He tried what appeared to be a run pass roll out to the right and got smothered by the Duke D. JG had to come out for the 2 point try. We were like 3 touchdowns behind at that time so why not get the point with a kick. Instead we put in a freshman who had not played a down all year for one play. It was a dumb call. Take the point and worry about a 2 point try if you can get a couple more TD's.
I agree it was a dumb move, and mystifying. No rhyme or reason to it.
I've seen enough reasons to be concerned about CGC's clock and game management. Some things I'd have done differently in a few games this year, including a couple yesterday. I was afraid before the season that this would be an area where we'd regress, and I think we have, but I remain hopeful that improving this aspect is one that gets better with experience.

That said, the two point conversion vs. Duke was 100% the right call, imo. We were down 18 points. If you kick the XP, you are down 17 i.e., 3 scores. If you convert the 2-pt conversion, you are down 16, which is a 2 score game (2 TD, 2 2-pt conversions).

As we've seen, Yates is not going to get 4 meaningful games this year. So the issue of burning a redshirt or wasting one of his games is moot. Therefore, if he was the back-up and the coaches thought he could execute the best play in the arsenal, I'm fine with it. Whether or not it was the best play in that situation, I don't know, but going for 2 was the right call imo, so much so that I would have thought kicking the XP was giving up on our best chance to win. Much like punting with < 5 min to go yesterday.

Deleted member 2897

Hmmmmmm. So Tech won't fire the AD if he doesn't deliver? A new and startling policy.

If Collins doesn't make the nut, TStan will be gone too. There's no way the basketball program will improve greatly this year or next. The baseball program won't save him.

I'm not pleased with this, mind. I think TStan is likely the best choice for AD among those who would take the job. But a continuing losing record in the major sports - especially if it continues after good recruiting in football - will sink the whole staff, coaches and AD. I hope this doesn't happen, but there it is.

So you just gave us losing years in basketball and football for the next few years? Sheesh.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
I respect your opinion and It’s possible you are correct. But at this point I’m not ready to make a final judgment on a guy for whom you haven’t seen very good OL protection and whose receivers are either very young or have played in an offense the last few years where they didn’t expect to get the ball much and it takes time to undo old habits (absolutely not meant as a criticism of the previous offense at all).

Certainly they looked bad yesterday and didn’t even show flashes that indicated a potential positive future. But we have seen flashes like that in a few of the prior games so I’m not ready, yet, to say James can’t be the guy. But like I said at the very start of my response it’s entirely possible you’re 100% correct. I’m just personally not ready to make that final call in my own head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not saying he can't be the guy even thought I don't think either of the QBs on the roster will be the starter in two years time when this team is hopefully more competitive, but with the offensive roster we currently have, Tobias is in my opinion the best option at QB given the fact that he's the best play maker on the team. The currently offensive philosophy overall is pretty terrible. This roster shouldn't be throwing the ball 20-35 times a game when none of the QBs on the roster originally came here to do that. I get we have to throw the ball, but I've seen enough of James missing easy out routes and hitch routes to the point where it's time to give Tobias or Lucas a chance. The fact that we've scored one offensive touchdown in regulation over the last eight quarters would make me thing we might want to try something else. Just my two cents.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yates has 3 games that will not count against him. Let's use him. Season is already done. We have Gleason coming . We will need a backup in the future. Online is a problem. I suggest we use the remaining games just to see what type of players in the future. Next year should start now imo.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you are a believer in Football Outsiders and the FEI rankings as a proxy of relative strengths, just keep in mind that coming in to yesterday Pitt's offense was #98 in the country.

By comparison, our offense was #94 in the country. Yes, you read that right. Our offense rated better based on strength-adjusted schedule.

The material difference in the match-up was the defenses, where Pitt was #14 in the country. Yes, top 15. Ours was #82.

That ranking for us is frankly lower than my expectations for this year's D prior to the season. I like effort and schemes I'm seeing there though, so I'm more optimistic that this will improve. Seeing how we finish the recruiting class and the rest of the 2018 season will influence my year 1 conclusions.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why are you guys nitpicking the games. We aren’t a good team. We aren’t going to win much. Maybe we get VT or NC State since both are dumpster fires. But to use any play, game, or strategy from this year to make statements about our future and our coaches is nuts. This year has never been about a win/loss record. Our AD and Coach all but came out and said it after the hire.

This is the first time I can really remember that the admin, AD, and coach are on the same path regarding the program. Outside of a few fans who don’t pay attention and are worrying about worthless games that no one will remember in a month, everyone else realizes the future is bright. The players play hard and outside of the offense and field goal kicking we have a lot of positive juju going on. I bet the team leaders are excited about the future and incoming recruits. As for our AD, he isn’t getting fired over a win loss record. We could go 1-11 the next 3 years and TStan would be safe. But don’t worry, we won’t go 1-11.

We are going to see a lot of turnover this off season and I bet guys like Charlie and Juanyeh Thomas, the Swillings, the Griffin’s, Brown, Knight, etc aren’t going to be too upset about it. Players want to play with players and those guys know who can play at this level and those who can’t.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I swear I see different games than some do. Looked like we tried a lot of things that have been working well, but blocking was atrocious and the young QB panicked. The coaches even made a smart adjustment bringing in Lucas who was moving the offense with the quick dinks and dunks. Just our luck this year, that he fumbled and got knocked silly.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Why are you guys nitpicking the games. We aren’t a good team. We aren’t going to win much. Maybe we get VT or NC State since both are dumpster fires. But to use any play, game, or strategy from this year to make statements about our future and our coaches is nuts. This year has never been about a win/loss record. Our AD and Coach all but came out and said it after the hire.

This is the first time I can really remember that the admin, AD, and coach are on the same path regarding the program. Outside of a few fans who don’t pay attention and are worrying about worthless games that no one will remember in a month, everyone else realizes the future is bright. The players play hard and outside of the offense and field goal kicking we have a lot of positive juju going on. I bet the team leaders are excited about the future and incoming recruits. As for our AD, he isn’t getting fired over a win loss record. We could go 1-11 the next 3 years and TStan would be safe. But don’t worry, we won’t go 1-11.

We are going to see a lot of turnover this off season and I bet guys like Charlie and Juanyeh Thomas, the Swillings, the Griffin’s, Brown, Knight, etc aren’t going to be too upset about it. Players want to play with players and those guys know who can play at this level and those who can’t.
Gotta "control what you can control".

The constructive criticisms revolve around that. Some are just venting.

While this season wasn't set up to be a great one no matter who was coaching, there are still things we could have done better. I think it's fair to conclude that we lost a game this year by coaches not controlling what they can control. Those things will be the difference in W/L in the future too.

I am still optimistic for the future due to some of the reasons you mentioned. We all carry a degree of blindness as to what the future holds.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gotta "control what you can control".

The constructive criticisms revolve around that. Some are just venting.

While this season wasn't set up to be a great one no matter who was coaching, there are still things we could have done better. I think it's fair to conclude that we lost a game this year by coaches not controlling what they can control. Those things will be the difference in W/L in the future too.

I am still optimistic for the future due to some of the reasons you mentioned. We all carry a degree of blindness as to what the future holds.

I agree with everything that you wrote but I aslo don't think at the end of the day the extra win changes anything in the big picture. Maybe I am naive but I am of the opinion that we are going through some growing pains giving the relative inexperience of this staff. But, if we had Bama's coaching staff right now, the larger, more important issues are still there. Maybe Paul Johnson and staff would have beaten Pitt and the Citadel by sticking with what we were doing....but we would still be a long, long way from what we all hope the program to be. I think all of yesterday's losing coaches are being second guessed right now on the internet.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

The answer to your original question is actually extremely simple. We get twelve games a season. Twelve. That’s it. Most people on this board are superfans who look forward to the season for nine months, and then they spend three months talking about it. And when the games that you spend an entire year looking forward to suck, well, you get the point. If you don’t like people nitpicking the games, maybe a Jackets message board isn’t the place for you.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I mean come on. Too many stupid penalties from a top 10 least penalized team in ncaa is a bit off imo

The blindside block took away a much needed first down when the game was in the balance. There were 2 penalties in the kicking game that cost us big field position when were struggling to get anything on offense. Several close calls on players showing their butts that we were lucky to get away without a personal foul / taunting penalty. In my book 1 penalty is too many, especially when you are struggling to find success. I understand your position but respectfully disagree.

Go Jackets!

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The answer to your original question is actually extremely simple. We get twelve games a season. Twelve. That’s it. Most people on this board are superfans who look forward to the season for nine months, and then they spend three months talking about it. And when the games that you spend an entire year looking forward to suck, well, you get the point. If you don’t like people nitpicking the games, maybe a Jackets message board isn’t the place for you.

I understand as I’m one of them. But, I also have learned to delay today’s gratification for tomorrow’s greater gratification. We have been in a rut for way more than this one season. In Johnson’s last 4 seasons (around 50 games) the only ones that were really fun were the FSU game, when we finished 3-9, the UGA win in 2016 followed up by sticking it to Stoops in Jax. 2017 we beat VT, and 2018 was a mess getting blown out by UGA and then a horrible bowl game. Point being were were going no where and getting there slowly. Collins has brought life to this program and will bring in better players because the better players did not want to play for Johnson. Right now, I’m excited for the Virginia game even though a victory is the last thing I’m thinking about. I just enjoy watching our young guys play - Brown, Knight, Swilling, both Thomas’s and others. We have some very good young players and they are excited to have Collins as coach because they know we are going to get players. Yes, the Citadel and Temple games sucked. But, ask Johnson why he didn’t recruit a QB his last 4 years he was here. As someone else mentioned if Johnson was our coach earlier Calvin would have been a dog. We are about to get back into the arms race under Collins so yeah, I’m excited. The days of a UGA linebacker picking up and spiking one of our running backs are over.

Ok, so back from Atlanta and the game. First, it is always great tailgating and going to a Tech game. Seeing all the Tech folks and having fun.

Now for my thoughts on the game. The defense looked out of sorts to start the game and looked unready. They then firmed up and had pretty darn good game, considering what they had to deal with. As always our best weapon is Harvin and the punt block was great.

Now for the bad. Well looks like someone told the coaches to stop running the ball because it looks too much like CPJ. We ran the ball on hand offs and QB keeps up the middle. Into the teeth of their defense And of course we were pass happy, dropping back to in the face of the number 1 sack team in the nation. Real smart. We never use Oliver, and we should in wildcat down on the goal line. No we let LJ, who hadn't been hit in a month and not a great runner try to power through the middle of the line....fumble. Maybe we give it to Mason instead??? We hardly ran out side, no speed option, no triple option....all the stuff that worked against Miami.

Also I got to watch the side lines and the dancing......that is really bad. You are out their dancing while you are in the process of losing a football game. If that is the culture......well it looks undisciplined to me.

I read a bunch of comments about how we are getting better, not on offense, we regressed. And I am tired of hearing from our coach how this is the biggest change in History....um no it is not. I left yesterday knowing we are going to be 2-10 this year and not much better next year. We went from one of the most potent feared offensive teams in the country to now the last place team. Maybe the pro style is not the best idea for an offense for Tech. I am not sure the sign of a good coach is taking players with certain skills and saying we are going to run an offense because this is what I want them to be. Good coaches adapt to players. And if we continue to hold on to this idea that we will out recruit everyone....as I have said many times....we can not recruit the same players as the factories. We have to out scheme other teams. Always have in my 50 years of Tech football.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Ok, so back from Atlanta and the game. First, it is always great tailgating and going to a Tech game. Seeing all the Tech folks and having fun.

Now for my thoughts on the game. The defense looked out of sorts to start the game and looked unready. They then firmed up and had pretty darn good game, considering what they had to deal with. As always our best weapon is Harvin and the punt block was great.

Now for the bad. Well looks like someone told the coaches to stop running the ball because it looks too much like CPJ. We ran the ball on hand offs and QB keeps up the middle. Into the teeth of their defense And of course we were pass happy, dropping back to in the face of the number 1 sack team in the nation. Real smart. We never use Oliver, and we should in wildcat down on the goal line. No we let LJ, who hadn't been hit in a month and not a great runner try to power through the middle of the line....fumble. Maybe we give it to Mason instead??? We hardly ran out side, no speed option, no triple option....all the stuff that worked against Miami.

Also I got to watch the side lines and the dancing......that is really bad. You are out their dancing while you are in the process of losing a football game. If that is the culture......well it looks undisciplined to me.

I read a bunch of comments about how we are getting better, not on offense, we regressed. And I am tired of hearing from our coach how this is the biggest change in History....um no it is not. I left yesterday knowing we are going to be 2-10 this year and not much better next year. We went from one of the most potent feared offensive teams in the country to now the last place team. Maybe the pro style is not the best idea for an offense for Tech. I am not sure the sign of a good coach is taking players with certain skills and saying we are going to run an offense because this is what I want them to be. Good coaches adapt to players. And if we continue to hold on to this idea that we will out recruit everyone....as I have said many times....we can not recruit the same players as the factories. We have to out scheme other teams. Always have in my 50 years of Tech football.
Pretty Spot On!!

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow

Those bitching about W/L really do think that tailoring the offense around a specific player is the way to go in lieu of developing a systematic approach designed for a successful future. It doesn't matter how many times they've been told that a systemic change would equate to major growing pains on the offensive side of the ball, they still think that 8 games in should yield much better results. Being a Tech fan ain't easy, but it's a heckuva lot better than being associated with FSU right now. Talk about impatience along with cluelessness. The semen-hole nation is the definition of that right now. If you don't like the way our program is progressing , might I suggest becoming an FSU fan.