Pitt Postgame

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
This was a real odd game. We had a chance to tie it up late, but somehow it felt like we were never in the game.

We’re a hard team to watch now. We lack identity or maybe the identity we have is lacking?

For those in the massive rebuild camp:

A. We’re clearly rebuilding this year based on what we’re doing.
B. Let’s say this year’s recruiting class is a bonafide bumper crop, I can’t see next year being anything other than another rebuilding year.
C. Year 3 these bumper crop recruits are either RS-Fr or true Sophs. How is that not going to be another rebuilding year?
D. Is 2022 when we’re going to see the light at the end of the tunnel with 2023 being the type of year we want to see?

Seems to me we got 2 options with our apparent charted path:

1) We have 4 really ragged years & year 5 we have signs of life.
2) The Coastal declines even more & we hit parity with the conference in 2022.

Do we think the average GT fan has this much patience? I really think Stansbury has a real problem brewing in 2022 0r 2023 unless the ACC Network really starts pumping some major cash our way. He’s going to need to offset $3-4M/yr in ticket revenue somehow. We’re complaining now & the fish really isn’t that old yet.
I wouldn't dismiss the impact of transfers. Also something as simple as having guys who fit the scheme, regardless of tenure. I still think we will struggle on the OL next year. In theory, just not as much.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I wouldn't dismiss the impact of transfers. Also something as simple as having guys who fit the scheme, regardless of tenure. I still think we will struggle on the OL next year. In theory, just not as much.

No doubt we struggle on O next year as well. Going to have a lot of young guys in the mix, so we’ll be playing guys still in that learning phase.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It always amazes me when armchair QB's can't figure out why our guys are inconsistent week to week. Might it have something to do with Game Planning? You know, scouting what we've done successfully and then game plan to prevent us from doing that? Our guys are young. Our QB is a RS Freshman with 4 starts. You don't think he's going to make mistakes? You think he's going to be able to recognize the schemes created to prevent him from being successful and adjust to them on the fly? Nah, neither do I.

As long as we're inexperienced at key positions, we're going to screw up and make mistakes. We're going to struggle to be successful. That's a fact of life. If you don't like that, go root for another team for the next couple of years. Everyone who thinks Yates or Gleason is going to be some magic pill is similarly mistaken. You really think a true freshman is going to come in and run this offense like a seasoned veteran? yeah, ain't gonna happen.

Unfortunately, this is going to take some time to work through, and the lumps we're going to take are going to be painful. It's time for all you complainers and Chicken Little's to shut the **** up and let the process unfold. It'll either work out or it won't. Your belly-aching won't change a thing and will only work to cause dissension on this site. Everyone take a step back, a deep breath, and relax. Time is the only thing that will solve this problem or show that the current staff can't get it done. Belly-aching about it is stupid and counterproductive.

Edit: If you like this post, it was my brilliant insight. If you don't, well, it was written in a bourbon haze. Four Roses Select, definitely worth the $50 price tag. Very tasty.
Given the multiple injuries and personnel losses we have endured this year to some of our most experienced and talented athletes and the fact that we are starting a freshman QB who missed practices to focus on academics, Collins has done as well as any head coach can under the circumstances.

But no alcohol is worth $5o, unless you have plenty of disposable income.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
The idea that a WR should be playing QB.
Tobias has more experience as a QB than a WR, so not sure this take has any merit.

That said, I disagree that he should be there as the QB. He is not the future of the position so no point in trying to just win games since the season is a wash at this point. It needs to be spent getting reps and experience to the guys who will be playing these positions next year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
2 years from now Collins will be judged on whether he has figured out the QB position. Do that and we can win with a lot of youth elsewhere. Don't figure out the QB position and we have Gailey V2. Yes, the QB play is currently being significantly affected by OL play but in the end that is what needs to be brought to above average ACC level.

And at the moment we have a long way to go with what we are seeing on the field and only one new recruit coming in. This is the one thing that is worrying me at the moment about the long term.

Tobias has more experience as a QB than a WR, so not sure this take has any merit.

That said, I disagree that he should be there as the QB. He is not the future of the position so no point in trying to just win games since the season is a wash at this point. It needs to be spent getting reps and experience to the guys who will be playing these positions next year.
I agree with this but that being said, Oliver is being done a disservice by this staff. They say he is elite but we don't seem to want to try to get him the ball. He also should run some wildcat for us. He will have no pro career if his lack of being able to produce continues.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is exactly what I was worried about after Miami. We managed to eke out a win against an undisciplined team that made a lot of mistakes, and suddenly everyone decides to distill the outcome of that game and extrapolate it onto the rest of the season. I still think we’ve improved quite a bit. Is Pitt that much worse than Duke or UNC? It doesn’t seem so to me, and yet our game was much more competitive than those two. I wondered how many losses it would take for people to jump back on the “Fire Collins!” bandwagon, and the answer seems to be 1 loss. It literally took one loss in a pretty close game.
What I am confused about is when LJ came in with the same OL as Graham LJ moved the O. I loved the play calling during that stretch. And against Miami I loved the play calling that sprung Mason to big yards. I have seen these stretches of good play w the existing OL and would love more of that.
The play-calling has been fine. We had WRs open a lot. We just weren’t hitting them either due to insufficient protection or poor throws. Patenaude the offensive coordinator has been doing a decent job. The problem is that Patenaude the QB Coach isn’t getting his players where they need to be to have success in the new offense.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
This is exactly what I was worried about after Miami. We managed to eke out a win against an undisciplined team that made a lot of mistakes, and suddenly everyone decides to distill the outcome of that game and extrapolate it onto the rest of the season. I still think we’ve improved quite a bit. Is Pitt that much worse than Duke or UNC? It doesn’t seem so to me, and yet our game was much more competitive than those two. I wondered how many losses it would take for people to jump back on the “Fire Collins!” bandwagon, and the answer seems to be 1 loss. It literally took one loss in a pretty close game.

The play-calling has been fine. We had WRs open a lot. We just weren’t hitting them either due to insufficient protection or poor throws. Patenaude the offensive coordinator has been doing a decent job. The problem is that Patenaude the QB Coach isn’t getting his players where they need to be to have success in the new offense.

Yea. 10 was open the entire game. He could have 3 or 4 TDs if we just get him the ball when he is wide open. Had him deep twice and LJ checked down; also missed him on the goal line.

Jd89

Georgia Tech Fan
Said this in another thread, our offense, which is in complete reassemble mode, was up against the #10 defense in the country, #1 in sacks (which means lots of pressure on the OL) and #14 in tackles for loss. Sometime you have to give credit to the other team for creating pressure, driving our OL into the backfield and generally forcing mistakes. Yes we made mistakes (lots of mistakes) as well, but that kind of defense is tough on young QBs (ask Justin Fields about Alabama's defense).

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Stinger Mobile Pass put me in the Pitt fan section (which frankly sucked), but the stadium was downright electric on some of the third downs. It was a really good feeling.

Our D's second half adjustments have been really good the last 3 games (6 total second half points in the last three games). With how much time they're spending on the field, it's been suprisingly impressive. Can't wait to see what they do to people in the next couple of years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So you just gave us losing years in basketball and football for the next few years? Sheesh.
Well … yes. I'm sure about basketball, given probation and present talent. I hope football will come around for 2022, but I don't think we will see much until then.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. Our current offense is so vanilla spread that we could transfer about any player in, and they'd be as familiar with our scheme as anyone on our current roster.

Deleted member 2897

Well … yes. I'm sure about basketball, given probation and present talent. I hope football will come around for 2022, but I don't think we will see much until then.

I think we win 18-20 games this year In basketball. If we have a losing record this year, Pastner should be embarrassed. This will be his talent high water mark so far.

2021 we’ll be Gucci in football.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
How is a dual threat Qb a non running QB?

Oliver nor Mason have scored in those situations this season

Considering Tech is last in scoring in the ACC, not sure what point you are trying to make.

Oliver and Mason are two of the best, (elite) players on offense. I know you are trying to convince the board that Pnude is doing a great job, but I have not been convinced yet.

Mason got his touches, but Oliver only one. Maybe Oliver is banged up or in the doghouse for some reason.

Why I am the naysayer is that I would like to see more quick hitting plays and something other than the RPO (which looks to me is just a read without pass being an option). Five step drops should be out of the playbook. I know there have been some beautiful long pass plays. But to me those are offset by numerous sacks. Keep throws short and simple. The passing game requires timing for success as well as an accurate throw. Any sort of push by the defensive line seems to really throw the QBs timing off. (I will add that with inexperienced QBs that would be the case). The OL struggles with protection, so I would assume play calling would mitigate this by holding blocks to minimums. Use multiple formations, but shorten routes and have some screens to Mason or bubble screens because you have to know defenses are going to attack Techs offense. How many times have we seen a short slant go big against Tech with a 5 or 7 man rush in the past?

The offensive coordinator schemes to beat the opposing team. With the players he has healthy on the roster (above the line). Not some grandiose scheme to impress recruits or prove a point. At least I hope not.

I do want to give credit to the offensive staff for minimizing procedure penalties. I do not have stats, but I am sure the procedure penalties are down significantly from last year.

And forensicbuzz, I will cut you some slack because of the bourbon haze. I will continue to support the team and even belly ache about it, but telling folks to "shut the **** up" is inappropriate. I have my opinion as well as many others who do not hold my opinion. We can disagree, and my opinion may stink as bad as my feet, but there it is.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
I think we win 18-20 games this year In basketball. If we have a losing record this year, Pastner should be embarrassed. This will be his talent high water mark so far.
2021 we’ll be Gucci in football.

Someone on the basketball board noted a while back that we seem to a conservation law with football and basketball wins -- every year they always seem to sum up to the same number. I can't find the post, but I think that number was 23. If that holds true, then we are going to have a pretty good year in basketball. :)