Pitt Postgame

Jolly Good Fellow
College football is 75% about quarterback play...and our QB'ing is horrible....Ok, our OL is banged up... or incompetent (I do not believe this is the case) but our QBs are the overwhelming , glaring, staring-us-in-the-face reason we can't score...How about our QBs make a a play.....???? If JG or Lucas is our future then kill me now...

lol not even close to spot except for the BDS experience. I swear it’s like the constant complainers watch entire different game
So you are saying our last in the nation offense is just fine....to go along with our really bad season? What I saw yesterday from an offensive coaching perspective was awful.

Again you are on the 2 yard line with Mason in the backfield, and you let your non running QB who hasn't been hit in a month try to run it in? Wither give it to Mason or bring in Oliver as he will score.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
So you are saying our last in the nation offense is just fine....to go along with our really bad season? What I saw yesterday from an offensive coaching perspective was awful.

Again you are on the 2 yard line with Mason in the backfield, and you let your non running QB who hasn't been hit in a month try to run it in? Wither give it to Mason or bring in Oliver as he will score.

How is a dual threat Qb a non running QB?

Oliver nor Mason have scored in those situations this season

Jolly Good Fellow
When GT gets good QB'ing, we win 8 or 9 games (just like Texas Tech or Oregon State or Rice or mid FBS teams ad infinitum)....When our QBs are not very good then we are not good at all... I absolutely hate criticizing players, as they are playing hard, the best that they can....but.. We are NEVER gonna get the OL (or much, very-very much less the DL) that UGa or LSU gets...but we can grab that occasional Joe Hamilton or Justin Thomas, or develop Josh Nesbitt or George Godsey...
I love the Yellow Jackets and am so happy that all of you love them too....Geoff is our guy, win or lose...Paul and the TO is gone...kind of..the play we ran when Lucas fumbled was the TO....woulda rather had TO running that play instead of Lucas...and, I know, TO is NOT our QB of the future...neither is JG or Lucas..please Geoff, run Yates in there for a series or three.....

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
I understand as I’m one of them. But, I also have learned to delay today’s gratification for tomorrow’s greater gratification. We have been in a rut for way more than this one season. In Johnson’s last 4 seasons (around 50 games) the only ones that were really fun were the FSU game, when we finished 3-9, the UGA win in 2016 followed up by sticking it to Stoops in Jax. 2017 we beat VT, and 2018 was a mess getting blown out by UGA and then a horrible bowl game. Point being were were going no where and getting there slowly. Collins has brought life to this program and will bring in better players because the better players did not want to play for Johnson. Right now, I’m excited for the Virginia game even though a victory is the last thing I’m thinking about. I just enjoy watching our young guys play - Brown, Knight, Swilling, both Thomas’s and others. We have some very good young players and they are excited to have Collins as coach because they know we are going to get players. Yes, the Citadel and Temple games sucked. But, ask Johnson why he didn’t recruit a QB his last 4 years he was here. As someone else mentioned if Johnson was our coach earlier Calvin would have been a dog. We are about to get back into the arms race under Collins so yeah, I’m excited. The days of a UGA linebacker picking up and spiking one of our running backs are over.
Dude, if you need to keep telling yourself bedtime stories about how it’s gonna be all milk and honey at some heretofore unidentified place in the future, that’s your business. Just seems weird to come to a post that’s literally f***ing called Pitt Postgame and be shocked people are talking about Pitt postgame.

Jolly Good Fellow
When GT gets good QB'ing, we win 8 or 9 games (just like Texas Tech or Oregon State or Rice or mid FBS teams ad infinitum)....When our QBs are not very good then we are not good at all... I absolutely hate criticizing players, as they are playing hard, the best that they can....but.. We are NEVER gonna get the OL (or much, very-very much less the DL) that UGa or LSU gets...but we can grab that occasional Joe Hamilton or Justin Thomas, or develop Josh Nesbitt or George Godsey...
I love the Yellow Jackets and am so happy that all of you love them too....Geoff is our guy, win or lose...Paul and the TO is gone...kind of..the play we ran when Lucas fumbled was the TO....woulda rather had TO running that play instead of Lucas...and, I know, TO is NOT our QB of the future...neither is JG or Lucas..please Geoff, run Yates in there for a series or three.....
Damn..I left out Dewberry and Shawn...sorry, boys

LibertyTurns

Banned
This was a real odd game. We had a chance to tie it up late, but somehow it felt like we were never in the game.

We’re a hard team to watch now. We lack identity or maybe the identity we have is lacking?

For those in the massive rebuild camp:

A. We’re clearly rebuilding this year based on what we’re doing.
B. Let’s say this year’s recruiting class is a bonafide bumper crop, I can’t see next year being anything other than another rebuilding year.
C. Year 3 these bumper crop recruits are either RS-Fr or true Sophs. How is that not going to be another rebuilding year?
D. Is 2022 when we’re going to see the light at the end of the tunnel with 2023 being the type of year we want to see?

Seems to me we got 2 options with our apparent charted path:

1) We have 4 really ragged years & year 5 we have signs of life.
2) The Coastal declines even more & we hit parity with the conference in 2022.

Do we think the average GT fan has this much patience? I really think Stansbury has a real problem brewing in 2022 0r 2023 unless the ACC Network really starts pumping some major cash our way. He’s going to need to offset $3-4M/yr in ticket revenue somehow. We’re complaining now & the fish really isn’t that old yet.

GTFLETCH

Banned
This was a real odd game. We had a chance to tie it up late, but somehow it felt like we were never in the game.

We’re a hard team to watch now. We lack identity or maybe the identity we have is lacking?

B. Let’s say this year’s recruiting class is a bonafide bumper crop, I can’t see next year being anything other than another rebuilding year.
C. Year 3 these bumper crop recruits are either RS-Fr or true Sophs. How is that not going to be another rebuilding year?
D. Is 2022 when we’re going to see the light at the end of the tunnel with 2023 being the type of year we want to see?

Do we think the average GT fan has this much patience? I really think Stansbury has a real problem brewing in 2022 0r 2023 unless the ACC Network really starts pumping some major cash our way. He’s going to need to offset $3-4M/yr in ticket revenue somehow. We’re complaining now & the fish really isn’t that old yet.
Pretty Spot On.... This is why I asked if Coach Geoff Collins is the next Bill Lewis? A transitional coach... ( Ross-Lewis-Oleary) from Johnson to a future head Coach who can put a team on the field who can beat a 0-2 FCS team.

I have been slammed because folks assume I want to go back to a TO scheme...I don't but whoever is the coach needs to be able to coach their scheme at a high level...

LibertyTurns

Banned
Pretty Spot On.... This is why I asked if Coach Geoff Collins is the next Bill Lewis? A transitional coach... ( Ross-Lewis-Oleary) from Johnson to a future head Coach who can put a team on the field who can beat a 0-2 FCS team.

I have been slammed because folks assume I want to go back to a TO scheme...I don't but whoever is the coach needs to be able to coach their scheme at a high level...
Interesting theory but why would Stansbury give him a 7 year contract if he’s the ssacrificial lamb? I just don’t think this is likely.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Liberty, I do not know how old you are and how long you have been a GT fan but generally the third year is telling as to what you have as a coach. See Lewis, Ross, and Curry's third season as examples. Until then, we are all spitballing for fun on the intenet.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer

I think the hope (which is admittedly not a strategy) is that the class coming in Dec/Feb is good enough to show signs of life by the end of their second year on campus. This is obviously a tear down and he’s going to be in desperate need of goodwill by then, assuming next year is bad, too, which I think it will be. If in November of year three they’ve taken ownership of the program and they pick off a team or two they shouldn’t, or just look like one of those teams that got better as the season progressed, Collins will be fine. After that it gets dicey. Either Collins goes into 2022 with some hype which he’d do well to meet, or he’s got a seat that’s pretty warm. But back to this season, it’s not at all obvious we’re gonna lose to NC State or Virginia Tech, both of whom are why I’m so concerned about Collins (because both of their coaches were Collins not too long ago).

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t see how anyone can say Graham had a bad game. Half the time he went back to pass he had the offensive lineman’s butt hitting him because Pitts defensive line was pushing us all over the field. If you say Graham had a bad game then you must also think Mason had a bad game because he was getting hit immediately after the hand off. The ACC better get their licks in now because these OLinemen we have committed aren’t going to get pushed backwards by any Coastal teams. Collins is doing exactly what he was hired to do - upgrade our talent. As for Patenaude, I’m seeing all kinds of formations, pre-snap movement, and a nice first year playbook. We simply don’t have an offensive line that will make it work this year. But, the process is there and we are coming. I hope y’all give Collins credit when the time comes.
What I am confused about is when LJ came in with the same OL as Graham LJ moved the O. I loved the play calling during that stretch. And against Miami I loved the play calling that sprung Mason to big yards. I have seen these stretches of good play w the existing OL and would love more of that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

It just might take four or five years but I would add that these things can turn around in a hurry. Get the right quarterback and a couple of decent tackles along with a game breaking wide receiver and its a very different scenario. I can also, sadly enough, see a case for an even more wretched ACC Coastal than we have now. The only thing that I am reasonably certain of is that we probably will not win another game this year and I would be astonished if we went to a bowl or had a winning season next year. Coach Collins and his staff need to keep recruiting linemen, both offense and defense, and focus on developing our current players into what they want them to do next year and beyond. It is all we can expect at this point.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Liberty, I do not know how old you are and how long you have been a GT fan but generally the third year is telling as to what you have as a coach. See Lewis, Ross, and Curry's third season as examples. Until then, we are all spitballing for fun on the intenet.
I’m hitting my 5th decade soon so I’ve seen the program when it was really on the ropes. I’ve seen us have an offense, a defense & neither. Thankfully, I missed the before O’Leary, after Ross years while overseas.

I’m watching a team who’s coach I despise but he is disciplined & his teams are always prepared. I’ll take any style that wins, but will remain skeptical until I see that an unconventional approach can win in a business that normally requires disciplined execution.

Poor coaching/decision making remains subject to abuse from me when I see it regardless of the reputations, etc of the coach. A kid fumbling for example, absent a consistent pattern of lack of ball security, is not coaching. Not knowing the basic rules of the game is.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
lol it was the same plays. LJ just executed better
So lol some here need to quit saying we cannot have a decent O with our current OL. We have shown against 2 excellent Ds that we can move the ball when we get good QB play and when we use our talent like Mason with the right play-calling. That was what my tongue in cheek comment was exactly trying to point out

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I understand as I’m one of them. But, I also have learned to delay today’s gratification for tomorrow’s greater gratification. We have been in a rut for way more than this one season. In Johnson’s last 4 seasons (around 50 games) the only ones that were really fun were the FSU game, when we finished 3-9, the UGA win in 2016 followed up by sticking it to Stoops in Jax. 2017 we beat VT, and 2018 was a mess getting blown out by UGA and then a horrible bowl game. Point being were were going no where and getting there slowly. Collins has brought life to this program and will bring in better players because the better players did not want to play for Johnson. Right now, I’m excited for the Virginia game even though a victory is the last thing I’m thinking about. I just enjoy watching our young guys play - Brown, Knight, Swilling, both Thomas’s and others. We have some very good young players and they are excited to have Collins as coach because they know we are going to get players. Yes, the Citadel and Temple games sucked. But, ask Johnson why he didn’t recruit a QB his last 4 years he was here. As someone else mentioned if Johnson was our coach earlier Calvin would have been a dog. We are about to get back into the arms race under Collins so yeah, I’m excited. The days of a UGA linebacker picking up and spiking one of our running backs are over.

I don’t know why you picked the last 4 years, but 2016 was a 9 win season with wins at VT and UGA. You can not with a straight face say this season is more exciting than that season. That’s asinine.

The idea that these games are “meaningless” is missing the point. Every football game is meaningless in the grand scheme of things. If you’re trying to talk about championships as “meaningful” games, than most teams haven’t had many meaningful seasons their whole existence. Most programs haven’t had any meaningful games in their existence if that’s the criteria. So what’s your point? That you’re OK with a season being completely wasted? OK, fine, but everyone doesn’t have to be. A two win season sucks. Fans have every right to say so. It’s an awful season. Maybe it is simply a part of the process, but that doesn’t make it any less awful and fans who put their time and money into this program have every right to give valid criticism and vent.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
It always amazes me when armchair QB's can't figure out why our guys are inconsistent week to week. Might it have something to do with Game Planning? You know, scouting what we've done successfully and then game plan to prevent us from doing that? Our guys are young. Our QB is a RS Freshman with 4 starts. You don't think he's going to make mistakes? You think he's going to be able to recognize the schemes created to prevent him from being successful and adjust to them on the fly? Nah, neither do I.

As long as we're inexperienced at key positions, we're going to screw up and make mistakes. We're going to struggle to be successful. That's a fact of life. If you don't like that, go root for another team for the next couple of years. Everyone who thinks Yates or Gleason is going to be some magic pill is similarly mistaken. You really think a true freshman is going to come in and run this offense like a seasoned veteran? yeah, ain't gonna happen.

Unfortunately, this is going to take some time to work through, and the lumps we're going to take are going to be painful. It's time for all you complainers and Chicken Little's to shut the **** up and let the process unfold. It'll either work out or it won't. Your belly-aching won't change a thing and will only work to cause dissension on this site. Everyone take a step back, a deep breath, and relax. Time is the only thing that will solve this problem or show that the current staff can't get it done. Belly-aching about it is stupid and counterproductive.

Edit: If you like this post, it was my brilliant insight. If you don't, well, it was written in a bourbon haze. Four Roses Select, definitely worth the $50 price tag. Very tasty.