Pitt Postgame Discussion

Jmonty71

Banned
Only disappointment to take away is ball handling. We cannot fumble 4 times against stronger opponents. I think CPJ will be chewing some tail. Benson is a beast! T Marshall is sneaky fast. The play he made on his 2nd TD, should be on ESPN. It was simply amazing to see.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
That's a wrap!

GT is 1-0 in the ACC.

Great job by the D.

Let's fix those fumbles and get better on ST.

It's not often that a team wins that turns the ball over 4 times but the defense rose to the occasion each time. I can't remember the last time I saw so many 3 and outs by a Tech defense. I really think Pitt would have been better off with the gunslinger passing deep down the middle. It may not have made much difference because they had no running game today. Benson and Marshall both had over 100 yards and the offense moved the ball well but we kept turning it over. Great win and speaking of cut blocks the one by Braun on Marshall sideline run was a thing of beauty. Offensive line played extremely well in opening holes up the middle because they were determined not to let us get outside.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I thought tackling was spotty, and several times -- including on that well conceived 80-yard punt return -- tacklers flew to the ball out of control and lost the tackle. Passing was awful. Bbacks ran really well but fumbles are going to kill us. I don't buy the layoff as blame for rust. If that is so then every time we have an off week we are going to really suck the nezt game. I did like the defense, a lot. But the offense is looking to break out and as Johnson said, an efficient game would have put 700 yards on the board today. Happy to win, just vaguely disappointed in the offensive performance. (Yeah, I know, 400+ rushing and all. But they were just sloppy.) Now, UNC. One at a time.

I think the word you are looking for is "efficient" As in we were not efficient in producing touchdowns given the total offense which was what? probably close to 500 yards. Anyway we won and yes I think the layoff hurt our ball handling and timing some.

Jmonty71

Banned
I think CPJ is going to discuss 2 things. Ball handling and outside blocking. Most of our yards were up the middle. Pitt covered the perimeter pretty darn well. Also, the blocking on the outside could of been better. I don't think CPJ will be very satisfied with this win. CTR earned his paycheck today, for sure! The tacking was MUCH better. We had gaps in coverage. But, the DL was applying pressure, so the QB didn't see it. I liked the aggressiveness the D showed today. We didn't look good on the first series. However; from there out, the D was pretty darn solid.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
I think CPJ is going to discuss 2 things. Ball handling and outside blocking. Most of our yards were up the middle. Pitt covered the perimeter pretty darn well. Also, the blocking on the outside could of been better. I don't think CPJ will be very satisfied with this win. CTR earned his paycheck today, for sure! The tacking was MUCH better. We had gaps in coverage. But, the DL was applying pressure, so the QB didn't see it. I liked the aggressiveness the D showed today. We didn't look good on the first series. However; from there out, the D was pretty darn solid.

Glad to see we are moving in the right direction. Keep improving week to week on D and I'll be happy. Special teams needs some attention.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We were rusty. Over recent years we have shown improvement as the season progresses. We need to do that this year as well. In that regard, the UCF cancellation probably hurt us.

At the time, I thought we might benefit from the layoff but it obviously hurt the timing and efficiency on offense. This team will improve as the season goes forward but whether we win a bunch depends upon continued improvement on defense and special teams as well as eliminating turnovers. Benson has made his mark. Tremendous body lean, balance, and leg drive. Exceptional player for this offense. Marcus Marshall who? That other guy? What was his name again?

We are getting deeper at B back, and deeper at A Back. Passing game needs, and will get, work. Ball handling probably due to the layoff. Maybe now we can get into a midseason type rhythm. Murderous schedule begins next Saturday.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Before I go off and do other things this afternoon, I just have to give a big tip of the hat to the defense today. After that first position they really played very well.
Will read and catch up with others thoughts later tonight. Enjoy the victory folks [emoji16].

---

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Only disappointment to take away is ball handling. We cannot fumble 4 times against stronger opponents. I think CPJ will be chewing some tail. Benson is a beast! T Marshall is sneaky fast. The play he made on his 2nd TD, should be on ESPN. It was simply amazing to see.
The second TD by Marshall was just a two yard run right? It was a follow play?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Defense played good happy for them. 4 fumbles reminds me of watching Oklahoma in the 70's lose 4 or 5 fumbles and still win 45 -14. Other then that it was hot out there wish we could play a game that was not from noon to 12:30 .

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Hat tip to the defense. Was a little frustrating watching is miss on a bunch of would be sacks, but the numbers speak for themselves.

Gotta clean up with ball security.

plangineer

Jolly Good Fellow
What was with the screen in front of pitt's play caller? Seemed like it was blocking pitt from seeing instead of tech. Is Pitt really that concerned about us seeing their play call?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That was the best tackling I've seen from a tech games in ages, you're out of your mind.

Only gripe/concern I have is if we face a polished, pocket passer...we may be in trouble.
You're looking up the middle, where they were pretty good. Look to the tackle out and watch the arms akimbo as they say.