Petition: Use Gold as a Primary Color

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Now that is just false.. these are photos from the 70’s to the early 2000’s. All dark blue/navy trim
Not to mention the fact that the baseball and basketball teams have used blue as a trim and jersey color for at least 30 years now. Watch the 1994 College World Series, GT is trimmed in blue. But since “apparently” blue wasn’t used in 1827, or whenever a certain poster went to school, it doesn’t count. Tech would be way better off with the “get off my lawn” guys. All they can say is PriMAry coLOrS. I literally don’t think anybody that is a Tech fan wants Tech to abandon gold/yellow anymore. But you literally can’t say anything to them without them spazzing out about what word is used to describe team colors, ie primary vs secondary vs tertiary, and school vs class. Nobody here is taking shots at gold.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention the fact that the baseball and basketball teams have used blue as a trim and jersey color for at least 30 years now. Watch the 1994 College World Series, GT is trimmed in blue. But since “apparently” blue wasn’t used in 1827, or whenever a certain poster went to school, it doesn’t count. Tech would be way better off with the “get off my lawn” guys. All they can say is PriMAry coLOrS. I literally don’t think anybody that is a Tech fan wants Tech to abandon gold/yellow anymore. But you literally can’t say anything to them without them spazzing out about what word is used to describe team colors, ie primary vs secondary vs tertiary, and school vs class. Nobody here is taking shots at gold.
[/QUOTE]
Have never liked the blue in the baseball uniforms either, but at least in baseball, virtually every team has blue in their uniforms.

beerbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Source? The only similar info I have seen clearly states blue was a CLASS color, and class colors were not SCHOOL colors.
Didn't say it was class, school or anything other than blue was there in the beginning and keeps showing up. This ring from 1894, after school colors of white and gold were adopted in 1891 (by the Georgia "School" of Technology), has white gold and blue. I prefer white and gold, hate black like you hate blue, but I understand why blue is a secondary color. It just can't be erased from our history.

I don't have a dog in this fight, just find it interesting have learned much. Need something to do waiting for recruits and spring game. Source for the ring and other tidbits is the Georgia Tech Living History Program FWIW.
upload_2019-3-14_9-26-10.png

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Didn't say it was class, school or anything other than blue was there in the beginning and keeps showing up. This ring from 1894, after school colors of white and gold were adopted in 1891 (by the Georgia "School" of Technology), has white gold and blue. I prefer white and gold, hate black like you hate blue, but I understand why blue is a secondary color. It just can't be erased from our history.

I don't have a dog in this fight, just find it interesting have learned much. Need something to do waiting for recruits and spring game. Source for the ring and other tidbits is the Georgia Tech Living History Program FWIW.
View attachment 5364

If TStan were in charge of the ring program in 1894, those rings would be blue. After all, navy is a secondary color.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
If TStan were in charge of the ring program in 1894, those rings would be blue. After all, navy is a secondary color.

No they wouldn’t since white and gold are still our primary colors.. We wore blue this year a handful of times (wore blue shirts & pants only once) and y’all are acting like we’ve rebranded to blue and gold as our primary colors.. I can name 7 teams in the ACC off the top of my head that have worn secondary (or not even one of thier official colors) as a primary color on thier uniform..

Duke— Black Unis & Gray Unis
FSU — Black uni
Miami— Black Unis & Gray Unis
NC State— Black Unis & Gray Unis
UNC— Dark Blue Unis & Black Unis
VT— Black Unis
Pitt— Just look at thier throwbacks

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
gta1056_rotc-uniform_d0a443b4f6.jpg

Title
ROTC uniform
Description
The U.S. Congress passed the National Defense Act in June 1916 which provided for the formation of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC). The first unit formed at Georgia Tech in March 1918.

This detail image shows the Yellow Jacket logo on the shoulder of a uniform jacket dating from the 1940s. This uniform belonged to Robert Kuhlke, and his name is visible on the interior of the uniform cap associated with this uniform. Uniform is of olive drab wool with blue trim and gold piping at the collar. The Yellow Jacket insignia is on the left shoulder, while the right shoulder bears a U.S. ROTC emblem. Label on interior jacket pocket indicates maker as "Philadelphia Uniform Co." of Conshohocken, PA. Label inside of interior pocket indicates date of issue as "6/24/40" and size as "36 regular."

This is absolutely wrong. When Bobby Ross came in in 1987, he changed the color scheme back from black to navy blue. Also, Bobby Dodd used navy when he was a coach from 1945-1966. Stop perpetuating a myth.
I said it was exclusively our TRIM color. The stripes and lettering trim on all the white and gold uniforms from the 40s till blue took over was black. I don't know what the trim was the few times Dodd used navy jerseys (and that was all he ever used, and not often). A source said 2003 was when blue was adopted; I thought that was incorrect but repeated it anyway.

I said it was exclusively our TRIM color. The stripes and lettering trim on all the white and gold uniforms from the 40s till blue took over was black. I don't know what the trim was the few times Dodd used navy jerseys (and it was only a few times, not often). A source said 2003 was when blue was adopted; I thought that was incorrect but repeated it anyway.

View attachment 5365
Title
ROTC uniform
Description
The U.S. Congress passed the National Defense Act in June 1916 which provided for the formation of the Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC). The first unit formed at Georgia Tech in March 1918.

This detail image shows the Yellow Jacket logo on the shoulder of a uniform jacket dating from the 1940s. This uniform belonged to Robert Kuhlke, and his name is visible on the interior of the uniform cap associated with this uniform. Uniform is of olive drab wool with blue trim and gold piping at the collar. The Yellow Jacket insignia is on the left shoulder, while the right shoulder bears a U.S. ROTC emblem. Label on interior jacket pocket indicates maker as "Philadelphia Uniform Co." of Conshohocken, PA. Label inside of interior pocket indicates date of issue as "6/24/40" and size as "36 regular."
I will take your word for it that there is blue in the photo; it looks black to me. The "yellow jacket" shown, however, is not the same as the "yellow jacket" which Tech used for the years before Buzz replaced it.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
No they wouldn’t since white and gold are still our primary colors.. We wore blue this year a handful of times (wore blue shirts & pants only once) and y’all are acting like we’ve rebranded to blue and gold as our primary colors.. I can name 7 teams in the ACC off the top of my head that have worn secondary (or not even one of thier official colors) as a primary color on thier uniform..

Duke— Black Unis & Gray Unis
FSU — Black uni
Miami— Black Unis & Gray Unis
NC State— Black Unis & Gray Unis
UNC— Dark Blue Unis & Black Unis
VT— Black Unis
Pitt— Just look at thier throwbacks
Thats what we are arguing. Almost every team we have wears blue more than gold now. That's why people are upset

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Thats what we are arguing. Almost every team we have wears blue more than gold now. That's why people are upset
I understand.. and I am pointing out that it is not a big deal, or the end of the world. There are several teams who have a uniform that isn’t one of thier primary colors. Tech athletics (Men’s sports & Women’s sports) has worn blue for as long as I can remember.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of this would have never been an issue if GTAA & Adidas (in the 1st year of the rollout) would simply have had a GOLD jersey.

A W/G/W uni would have looked sharp.

And if we can wear a G/B/B uni, there sure as heck would not have been anything wrong with a G/G/G uni. Regardless if we looked like some delicious, crispy V fries.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I understand.. and I am pointing out that it is not a big deal, or the end of the world. There are several teams who have a uniform that isn’t one of thier primary colors. Tech athletics (Men’s sports & Women’s sports) has worn blue for as long as I can remember.
Nobody is saying it's the end of the world. It's something we should not do